Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
UPDATE 2: I thought the problem was my Intel X25-V not being compatible, so I went out and got an Intel X25-M 80GB G2 that has been confirmed working by others in this thread. Set up everything as normal and the same exact problem occurred; bootcamp partition successfully configured in OSX, but once you get into the Windows 7 installer, no drives are detected. At this point, I think there is a problem with 3rd party SSDs and the new 13" MBP. If anyone can confirm this for me, that would really help.

UPDATE 1: Swapped the stock HDD back in and bootcamp install seems to work fine. Partitions were immediately recognized by my windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. Could Apple have blocked support for 3rd party SSDs somehow with these 2010 MBPs?

All those who have a 2010 MBP and a 3rd party SSD, please try setting up bootcamp and let us know if it works.

Has anyone successfully setup bootcamp on any of the new macbook pros? When I use boot camp assistant, I am able to set up the partitions. However, once I enter the windows 7 install, it doesn't detect any partitions at all (not even my mac partition).

I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 (home, prof, and ultimate). The SSD is an Intel X25-V 40GB

Confirmed working:

17" MBP with OCZ Vertex 256 GB SSD
17" MBP with Corsair 256GB SSD
15" MBP with Intel X-25M G2 160GB

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
MacBook Pro 13" 2010 NVidia 320M

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro 13"!
Ordered mine today...ETA 4 May in Switzerland! None of the store have any in stock...

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
UPDATE 1: Swapped the stock HDD back in and bootcamp install seems to work fine. Partitions were immediately recognized by my windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. Could Apple have blocked support for 3rd party SSDs somehow with these 2010 MBPs?

All those who have a 2010 MBP and a 3rd party SSD, please try setting up bootcamp and let us know if it works

Has anyone successfully setup bootcamp on any of the new macbook pros? When I use boot camp assistant, I am able to set up the partitions. However, once I enter the windows 7 install, it doesn't detect any partitions at all (not even my mac partition).

I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 (home, prof, and ultimate). The SSD is an Intel X25-V 40GB

weird. i am getting a ssd today to plop in. let us know if you figure this out.

air-

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Did the x25 work normally within Snow Leopard? Or did you yet have time to test that?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I'd like to know what battery life looks like when you run windows in boot camp.
and running it in a Virtual Machine and the effect on battery life would also be interesting.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
This guy asks a good question....anyone have any luck doing boot camp partitions with mbp and a SSD? lots of folks are saying this might be blocked

roxygal9

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
FL
Yes, it did work normally. The problem only occurs once you get into the windows install.

Good info, but a few questions...

Anyone have a stock SSD on new MBP will it be faster?

Also I am torn between the 2.4 or 2.66, anyone have some benchmarks on the 2.66 model with ssd? :confused:

Oh and is osx on new mbp 32 or 64 bit? Will it run 64 bit win7 in parallels? sorry im very new to macs...

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Yes, it did work normally. The problem only occurs once you get into the windows install.

Have you gotten it to work? Intel SSDs are gonna be pretty common on Macbook Pros. If they are all of a sudden not working--that's gonne be a problem. Can you still return the Intel SSD?

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I will get my MBP and 160G intel SSD today, will let you guys know tonight if I can bootcamp it...

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Have you gotten it to work? Intel SSDs are gonna be pretty common on Macbook Pros. If they are all of a sudden not working--that's gonne be a problem. Can you still return the Intel SSD?

No I didn't get it to work. Tried to repartition the drive several times, tried different versions of windows 7, no luck detecting the Intel SSD during the windows install. Once I popped the stock HDD back in, boot camp worked just fine and the HDD was recognized immediately =X.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
No I didn't get it to work. Tried to repartition the drive several times, tried different versions of windows 7, no luck detecting the Intel SSD during the windows install. Once I popped the stock HDD back in, boot camp worked just fine and the HDD was recognized immediately =X.

amazing apple can't answer this. if they are blocking 3rd party drives now -- that is really extreme. Tons of people use those intel SSDs. Did you try intel support?

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010

Are you able to install just Windows 7, without Mac OS X on it? Or Windows 7 never recognizes the existence of the drive? Have you tried booting Knoppix and seeing if it recognizes the drive?

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
amazing apple can't answer this. if they are blocking 3rd party drives now -- that is really extreme. Tons of people use those intel SSDs. Did you try intel support?

No I haven't. I just didn't want to waste my time on it any more and wanted to see if it was just me or if other people experience the same problem.

Are you able to install just Windows 7, without Mac OS X on it? Or Windows 7 never recognizes the existence of the drive? Have you tried booting Knoppix and seeing if it recognizes the drive?

Yes, I've used this X25-V on other machines and Windows 7 installs just fine. No, I've never heard nor used Knoppix

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Typing this post on the new MacBook Pro 17" in Boot Camp with Windows 7 Pro.

I just followed the same steps like my old MacBook Pro.

OCZ Vertex 256 GB SSD.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Typing this post on the new MacBook Pro 17" in Boot Camp with Windows 7 Pro.

I just followed the same steps like my old MacBook Pro.

OCZ Vertex 256 GB SSD.

that's a samsung. bodes well. fingers crossed.

Hopefully the corsair 256 will also work.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
I am interested in hearing about SSD bootcamp issues (or successes) in the new Macbook Pros also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.