$99/$149 Iphone at Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Richdmoore, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

It looks like Best Buy is now selling an $100 8gig iPhone (This week only). It is $149/$249 for their normal Reward Zone Members, and $99/$199 if you are one of their Silver Reward Zone members.

(I wish I hadn't spent enough at best buy to actually make it to silver, but my iPhone in December pushed me over the threshold into the Silver status :).)

For Silver Reward Members:
    8 gig iPhone $99
    16 gig iPhone $199

For Normal Reward Zone Members:
    8 gig iPhone $149
    16gig iPhone $249.

Link to page: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat168900050002&type=category

Credit to Justin42 at www.cheapassgamer.com for pointing out an $10 xbox 360 game that made me look at the entire ad on the best buy web site and notice the iPhone deals.

2. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

5. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Unless I am mistaken, at&t only had the discount on refurbished iPhones, not new iPhones like the Best Buy deal. If I am wrong about that, please correct me.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

On the week of my birthday? Damn these people for tempting me!

Luckily, I don't have $250 and I didn't hold out on an iPhone 3G this long to get only an extra 8GB. Hopefully this is a move to shovel out old inventory for the new summer models.

Good question. I read the terms and it didn't really say. At least they're not charging you some extra fee to do that. If you spend $2,500 with 'em, that's a pretty nice kickback. I wish other stores would do more stuff like that. Shoot, I wish AT&T would do stuff like that.

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Holy crap that is cheap, us Aussies are paying like $800 for an 8 gig.

8. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

It is good for a little over a year. If you can log onto the web site, you will see a date that you go back to a normal Reward Zone membership.

They have a complicated chart that explains it, basically you get one full year, and then it renews if you spent enough, if not it reverts back to a normal membership.

Here is a cut and paste from the Best Buy web site:

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/premier/programRules.jspx

Benefits of Premier Silver status continue during the year of qualification through the end of the following calendar year and will terminate at the end of the following February. In any subsequent year, a Premier Silver member requalifies for Premier Silver status when the member spends $2,500 on eligible purchases at Best Buy stores or online at Bestbuy.com during that calendar year.

If a member does not requalify for Premier Silver status in the second or subsequent year, Premier Silver status will expire at the end of February in the third or subsequent calendar year and the member's Reward Zone program Premier Silver membership will revert to a standard Reward Zone program membership. (See Membership Cancellation, Modification, Expiration and Termination in the full Reward Zone program Rules for details about what happens when a standard Reward Zone program member does not make any purchase in a single calendar year.) (See chart below for example.) Any return within 30 days that makes total eligible purchases less than $2,500 may void Premier Silver status.

Year of becoming Premier Silver member Time period during which you are a Premier member and may requalify for Premier Silver status Date upon which Premier Silver benefits end, and standard Reward Zone program benefits resume if requalification does not occur
    Calendar Year 1 (Jan-Dec) Calendar Year 2 (Jan-Dec) The end of February in Calendar Year 3

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Do you work for BB? Or are you their #1 Silver Premier Customer? :p

10. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

The funny thing is that my FULL PRICE $299 iPhone actually pushed me over into the silver status. Now I could get the discount when I don't need it.......

Only reason I have silver status was that I purchased a new LCD tv, router, printer, xbox 360, iphone, printer ink etc. all last year. I doubt very much I will spend that kind of money in the near future (esp. with this economy!)

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I think I'm a silver premier since I just bought their Sony Vaio Z520 yesterday, and we picked up a 32" Sony Bravia LCD, and several Blu-Ray TV sets during the holidays...:)

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No we're paying like $2000 for it over the 2 years.

13. Resist macrumors 68030

Why do these sales always happen AFTER the return period on things I buy? :mad:

14. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

its crazy how these phones can be so cheap if there not bought at MSRP

15. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Funny how that happens, isn't it? It's almost like BB wants you to buy MORE stuff from them, rather than just trading stuff you didn't want for stuff you do ;) I wonder if they actually have highly paid executives who decide the timing of these things... ;)

Surprised the talk here hasn't focused more on WHY BB would be reducing inventory at this point in the product cycle ;)

16. blindzero macrumors regular

Well, I bet we see refreshes to the iPhone line sooner than later now...

I know the rumor is June, but you gotta wonder...

17. Cravendale macrumors member

Would this suggest they are shifting the remainder of the current model to make way for the new?

18. casik macrumors regular

ya here in canada we are at about 2800 over three years.... we don't have it available on a two year

19. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Agreed. They at least need to leak some details of the refresh. People who bought the first iPhone in 2007 will be free of their contracts. Better to get them interested in another iPhone asap before they have time to start looking at iPhone alternatives.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And for all of those awaiting an iPhone nano, dream on. Here is the real thing. You remember all that squable about the $99 priced iPhone with lower features. Not going to happen, however, retailers can price the iPhone at whatever price point they see fit. Ergo, Best Buy has filled that gap.

Bad thing, this is starting to become the RAZR scenario.

21. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

The lock in with ATT is the expensive part.

22. Cravendale macrumors member

When realistically will they announce the new iPhone if it is due out in June/July...?

Care to elaborate for us uneducated Macrumour users?

23. hsk macrumors regular

I don't really see the big deal between $199 and $99. That $100 just does seem like a big deal to me when you factor in the contract. But consumers are not always the brightest.....

As for BB moving inventory, could be they just want to push iPhones instead of Blackberry's this week. I remember they were out of Curve's for Sprint & Verizon back in December and eveyone was assuming the new CDMA Curve was coming. Well that ain't happening anytime soon - and Curves are back in stock.

24. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye