9C84 better than 9C85 on New MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James17, Nov 9, 2008.

1. James17 macrumors 6502

I have two of the new Aluminum MBP's sitting in front of me at the moment. One is waiting to be sent back for the noise coming from the fans and the other is my new replacement. The replacement has a 9C84 screen and the old one has a 9C85. The 9C84 seems brighter and sharper compared to the 9C85. The 9C85 is more dull when set at full brightness compared to the 9C84.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me? :D

2. Apple addict macrumors member

I have only one MBP to observe and it has the 84 screen. This one is pretty good in my opinion however have not seen the 85 screen.
    I have read other posts on this forum indicating the 84 screen is preferable. Do a search for other opinions.

Gary

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

My 9C85 is almost blinding at full brightness. I run it at 2 down after calibration so I'm not sure I'd see the difference. Nice to hear a comparison of the two panels in front of you though; have you tried calibrating them?

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

My 85 is absolutely brilliant. 2xcheck that auto-brightness is off

5. nonick macrumors member

how do you check whether the auto brightness is off ?
    are there any comparison pictures between 84 and 85?

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Where do you find out what screen you have?

I cant have mine at full brightness cause it hurts my eyes as well!

7. NStocks macrumors 65816

How do I calibrate my screen with somebody elses profile ? I hope that I don't have the 'duller' screen, but would Calibrating it make it better ?

It's like my old ipod Touch and my Brothers, I had a noticablly different Screen, loads brighter and less yellow

... I think my monitor definteley needs calibrating though, not as good asI thought it would be :( ( Again could calibration sort it... or should I return it ? )

NStocks

8. nonick macrumors member

go to system preferences --> displays --> color --> choose any profile --> open profile --> then scroll down to number 13 --> look at "model"

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Woot!

Mine's a 9C84. After getting and returning the 9C89 screen from my macbook, it's a night and day difference. Woot!

Shouldn't have messed with the MB, and gone straight to the MBP.

10. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I have gone thru three MacBook Pro's (Late 2008) and am currently on my fourth, all being the 2.4 model.

The first three had the 9C84 screen. For some reason, the first and second looked great but the third appeared to be a bit washed out. The fourth one has the 9C85 screen. Immediately upon powering it up, I could tell a difference in the screen even before checking to see which panel it was.

IMO, I feel the 9C85 screen is the better panel. I've gone thru several calibration files and found one that makes the screen look simply stunning. Truly amazing. Best panel I have EVER had in a notebook, hands down, no questions asked.

Take it for what it's worth.

11. nonick macrumors member

could you post this calibration profile here please?

12. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Sure, here you go buddy.

Attached Files:

13. nonick macrumors member

thanks!
    the color temperature is a little too high for my liking, but it does look very good on 9C85

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've got one of each panel. They are both great. After calibration the differences are so small it's not worth bothering about. The previous 15" MBP had different panels and there were huge differences between between them and none of the panels were that good. But the new 15" MBP has two brilliant panel choices. I wouldn't worry about it. I've posted profiles for both screen types in the profiles thread. The one above is one I did.

15. MVApple macrumors 6502a

How much sense does it make to use other people's calibration profiles though? Doesn't the manufacturer calibrate their screens? I know that due to variances in manufacturing the manufactureres profiles are almost always going to be off, but wouldn't the same be true for other people's profiles?

16. Macbook noob macrumors newbie

Sort of off topic, but what did your defective fans sound like?

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You are right in that someone else's profile will not be an exact match for your screen. It may be a little off or a lot off depending on the amount of the variation.

But given that it costs nothing and hurts nothing to try it, you can. If you are only going for something that "looks" good you may find a good match. If you are looking for something more accurate for photo editing for example, then you really need to calibrate it yourself. I would also add that calibrating by using Apple's utility or something like Supercal is better than nothing but not by much. If you want anything close to accurate colors you need in invest in the hardware and software to do that.

18. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sound file attached.

Attached Files:

19. Macbook noob macrumors newbie

Few, that doesn't sound like my fans. For a little while after i bought my new MBP i thought it might have fan issues but i realize i was just being an overreactive father now :p

20. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Just wanted to say thanks, I love your calibration... ;)

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

As I sit here awaiting my very first Mac (15.4 CTO MBP, 2.8, 320 @ 7200), I have to wonder--are there any trends as to which models get which panels or does it seem random?

22. EngenZerO macrumors regular

was at the apple store yesterday and got a chance to compare the 9c84 next to two 9c85...

there didnt seem to be much difference except for when using the space wallpaper... i noticed the 9c85's didn't portray the cloud near the lower right corner of the screen and the 9c84 did... colors seemed to be about even... but there did seem to be a minor difference in black level and white saturation...

other than that... both displays look fantastic...

my 9c84 at home after using a calibration profile... i believe looks fantastic...

i think if u get either one with no stuck/dead pixels or light leak... after a little calibration they both would look fantastic.

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Seems pretty random. My store bought 2.53GHz has a 9c84 while my CTO 2.8GHz/SSD has a 9c85.

24. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Here's my calibration from a Spyder3 Pro on the LG panel

Attached Files:

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yes the 9c84 is better, sharper, brighter and more contrast.