Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

A Greener Apple

TheSailerMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
New York, New York
Today on Apple's homepage, another open letter (though is likely targeted at Greenpeace) from Steve Jobs has been posted, entitled "A Greener Apple."

In the letter, Jobs discusses what Apple is currently doing to help the environment, how they are doing things better than their competitors, and Apple's plans to become even more environmentally friendly.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/

It looks like we will be seeing new, LED-lit displays from Apple in the near future, just as recent rumors have said.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Jobs knows the money in the future will be spent on green computers as people become more environmentally aware. I don't think we would see this if it wasn't for that shift in peoples attitudes.

Comment

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Wow, after reading all that I feel a little more proud to be using an Apple :D Like I needed an excuse! :D

Thanks Steve. I guess one of the benefits of being so secretive is that when you're finally open about something it really has an impact. I hope this gets as many headlines as it deserves :)

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Good Move

Good for Steve for realizing the difference between secrets that need to be kept and things that should be shared. This was a great thing for them to do.

That being said, the un-named “environmental group” that forced this move are still a bunch of whiney media-whores who, I’m sure, will soon take credit for the changes talked about within this letter.

Best to keep in mind that the only thing they accomplished here was the creation of the press release itself. The things it talks about are obviously already in the works and have been for many years.

As much as I enjoyed reading it, I sure hope we don’t see them take credit for the actual changes outlined within the document. I’m not holding my breath on that one, however.

Comment

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
It's yet another pre-announcement! :eek:

This is, seriously, great news from Apple. However, I am interested to hear what people who know more about environmental issues than I do make of SJ's latest essay.

Comment

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Good news, glad to hear it. Hopefully this means that at this point I will only be disposing of one old computer by the time I get to buy either another notebook or desktop.

Kudos to Apple and to everyone trying to make the planet a little bit greener.

Comment

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I wonder how this will affect the pricing of the displays. Aren't led backlit LCD TVs much more expensive than their regular LCD counterparts?

Comment

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
"Take that GreenPeace!" :D

Well all GreenPeace needs to do is change the weights on their tests and then they can make apple be a bottom performer again. If someone wants someone to loose and they are making the test then they just change the curve and whoever they want to win will win.

Comment

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Apple knows which way the wind is blowing. They're pretty much going to be required by law to take responsibilty for recycling in the EU anyway due to the WEEE Directive which seeks to make manufacturers responsible for disposing of and recycling their products at the end of their life cycle.

There is also the RoHS law (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) that they need to adhere to so it's not like they're doing something amazing for the planet all by themselves. So let's not all get carried away by how fantastic and cuddly Apple are for doing this 'off of their own backs'.

Comment

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
It should really not come as a surprise. The only question was when and apparently the industry hasn't caught up with producing larger LED displays.

Comment

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
About bloody time Steve got his arse in gear about this. It's important.

I'd like to see more of these ocassional essays from Jobsy... maybe even a blog!! :p

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Great news .... looking forward to the new Macs with these displays.

Comment

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Well all GreenPeace needs to do is change the weights on their tests and then they can make apple be a bottom performer again. If someone wants someone to loose and they are making the test then they just change the curve and whoever they want to win will win.

Big bad Greenpeace again. They're such bastards for trying to make the planet a better place for future generations to live in!

You can bad mouth them all you like but they have apparently managed to make Apple change their practices now haven't they....

"Take that GreenPeace!" :D

I bet they're just gutted that they made a point about a company not doing enough for the environment and then that company did something positive about it.

Comment

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
It's good to see this. I, myself, am quite into being environmentally-friendly. This is great news! And it looks like they will have changed the iMacs for the better just in time for my purchase! Loverly :)

I'm also pleased that no one (when I last checked) had voted negative :)

Come on Green Apple!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.