A thread for those who actually love the iPhone 8/8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4ppleg1rl, Sep 26, 2017.

1. 4ppleg1rl Suspended

Sorry if this has already been made (delete if it has!) but I've been seeing so much negativity about the iPhone 8 because it's been overshadowed by the reveal of the iPhone X.

I wanted to know what you loved about the phone and why you chose to get it over your current phone / the X.

Personally, I love the premium feel of the glass back, the wireless charging is a bonus as well, the camera is incredible (although could do with some work - PORTRAIT MODE I'M LOOKING AT YOU) and ugh the colour of that blush gold is BEAUTIFUL.

So come on, let's all be positive in this thread and any negativity can be saved for other threads. All the negativity on the other threads actually made me question my purchase and I never want to feel like I've made the wrong decision just because other people are saying I have. So keep it happy and positive.

2. horizonflyer macrumors newbie

horizonflyer

I was torn between the 8+ or the X "pre-keynote" - "post keynote" there was no question - I went with the 8+ and while it will take a bit of getting use to the size - I love it!

3. 4ppleg1rl thread starter Suspended

I was pretty certain I wasn't gonna get either, but when I saw such a small price difference between the 7+ and the 8+, I went for the 8+. I love the size. It was huge to begin with, I've never had a + phone, but now it's so normal and the smaller sized phones look TEENY!

4. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I was in limbo and was not sure I liked it. Got the SG 8+ yesterday and absolutely love it!

5. deany macrumors 68030

deany

If I stay with apple I will go from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8+, still undecided.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The iPhone Plus model takes time to adjust to the size, but the larger display, battery and 1080 P display are huge advantages over the 4.7 model. Also, I like landscape mode, which the Plus models have. Typing is easier as well.

7. 4ppleg1rl thread starter Suspended

I absolutely love the plus now. I'm so glad I went for it instead of sticking to what I knew was fine. It's incredible.

8. phonemanjones macrumors newbie

phonemanjones

One of my favorite features of the plus-sized iPhone is the increase in pixel density (401/inch if memory serves). My older eyes love reading in my Kindle app without headaches! Also love the best-in-class camera setup. As long as the plus-sized iPhone remains in the lineup, I'll have one :)

9. nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

I debated a long time over the 8 Plus and the X. The 8+ won out after deciding it was finally time to get the Apple Watch 3, so it was as much a monetary decision as anything else. I have been using the 7 and wanted the go back to the bigger model this time around. The $300 difference is a lot when you are looking at the 256 version of both phones. I was still going to wait to get the watch, but Verizon had a 3 months free with no activation fee offer on the watch along with a payment plan if I wanted it. The watch has been preordered and should get here by 10/13.

Always being an early adopter to the newest model phones I am still a bit at odds with my own decision for not waiting on the X. Despite that, I am happy with the 8 Plus and the glass is beautiful on it. Having seen the drop tests with the 8 and how bad it looks, it also makes me wonder how cracks might affect the facial recognition on the X.

10. staggerlee41 macrumors regular

staggerlee41

After watching the Keynote and seeing what my options were I prioritized and determined that I wanted: better camera and an increase in screen size. That really lead me to two options. X or 8+

There are aspects about the X I think I'll love eventually. It's exciting to see where iPhone is going for sure. Form factor, camera, and battery are appealing aspects of X vs the larger size of 8+, but yeah, back to the price. Sure it's only "a little bit" more at that point, but it's the principal of things from my perspective.

With that, my initial impressions of 8+:

I'm not one that thinks that design needs to change every year. The build of the 8/8+ is so refined and dialed in to near if not perfection. The glass gives it a premium touch that has long been missed. So aesthetically, it's a win and I love it!

Camera is amazing. Battery life is amazing though it's important to note I came from a 6s with a battery that was fairly recently replaced and still quite good. The extra real estate and quality of the display are superb. Did I mention how amazing the camera is?

The improved and upgraded internals, while not as tangible as some of the other items make for a very speedy, responsive and enjoyable experience.

I was on the fence about using the 8+ as the + models have been noted as being unwieldy by some, but just like an upgrade from 5s to 6s, I'm getting used to the size without issue.

My only issue with this device is that I had no choice but to use iOS 11. I'd have loved to be able to get this with 10.3.3 and have the option to upgrade from there. I NEVER upgrade iOS immediately until it's been proven that the release is stable. iOS 11 shows great promise but is not as stable as I'd prefer.

Bottom line is no matter which phone you pick from this year's lineup I think you'll have a very fine device! As long as you're happy with your decision, nobody else's opinion matters.

11. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

SomeGuy2112

Very happy with my 8.

I was nearing the 64gig capacity on my 6S and I've been on a 2 year upgrade cycle for a while now.

The jump from 6S to 8 is what I would expect from an iterative upgrade perspective personally. I feel like it would be getting less flack if they called it the 7S...?

I've gained a significant leap in capacity, water resistance, wireless charging, and am quite happy with the near black color of the Space Gray & the glass back. The camera enhancements are huge for me too (240 slow mo, OIS, 4k60, etc...).

While not many apps may be taking advantage of the leap in processing power yet, it will surely go to good use over the next year plus.

I really have no complaints at all about the device.

12. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I love my iPhone 8 in gold! I was initially excited about the X and planned to preorder it, but then I went to the Apple Store to pick up my new Apple Watch and saw the gold iPhone 8. After a lot of thought, I returned to the Apple Store later that day and bought the 8. It has a beautiful screen, is fast and I prefer the smaller size and Touch ID. I'm very happy with my decision.

13. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I love my 8+, just as I loved my 7+, my 6s+, my 6+.....

Going into the keynote, I was all set to go for the X (or whatever they were going to call it). After finding that the X was going to be delayed for almost 2 months I was bummed. I am horribly impatient, but it wasn't the initial 2 months. It was knowing that it would throw me off of my every year in September update cycle. In hopes that Apple gets back to the September time frame I didn't want to be behind next year, nor did I want to pay extra to get back to that cycle. Probably silly on my part. The thing is for me, most of the "improvements" in the X vs. the 8+ are things that really don't mean that much to me. I'm not a photographer, I take pictures of life as it happens and don't spend much time looking for photo gallery quality shots. The improved selfie camera is of no importance, as I don't think it would help this face out much. The bigger screen, that's a whole debate itself. Now, being able to make the pooh emoji talk is a hard one to let go of.

At any rate, I am happy to sit out the frenzy of October 27th and the subsequent weeks until everyone gets their order. I will continue to love my 8+, and see what comes next September that makes even the X obsolete.

14. burntomaro macrumors member

Hell I love it (8 Plus) and I don't even have it yet (coming in tomorrow). I originally purchased the 6 Plus 16 GB. This new one will be a major upgrade in every way possible.

15. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

Had my 8 since launch day

It’s slicker, faster and for me a definite upgrade from my 6. TouchID and app opening is silly fast; it almost feels ‘too quick’

I like the fact it’s slightly heavier as the 6 always felt it could be blown out of my hand!

If the 8 lasts and performs well as my 6 did for 2.5 years I’ll be a happy chap :)

The X to me just doesn’t look special enough for something costing £999.......the fact the 8 has the same processor is good enough for me and a nice £300 saving!!

16. rydeontime macrumors newbie

Really like my 8+ in slate grey

I tend to upgrade every couple of years so move was from a 6s+ which my daughter is now thrilled to have (although she is still nagging for an 8+ too!). Lots of things seem that little bit better on the 8+ which to me add up to it being a worthwhile switch

Did consider the X which does look nice and the notch doesn't bother me. Would be no good for me though becausing of having to look straight at the phone to unlock rather than push a button while the 8+ sits to the side of me on the desk

Looking forward to the wife Nike iwatch3 arriving to see how that performs (we both have series 0 at present)

17. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I wasn’t going to upgrade from my 6sPlus but then changed my mind. I went with the Space Grey 8 Plus and it is a stunningly beautiful phone! It’s fast and very responsive. The glass feels luxurious, although I do have a case on it. Love the slight difference in weight, it has a good heft. Took some getting used to the change in home button but am used to it now.

I’m really happy with my decision and hope to get a good 2 or more years with this phone.

18. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

I love this device sooo much coming from a 6+.

19. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

This needed to be said girl!

20. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

iPhone 8+ 256GB Space Grey.

Absolutely love it. First impressions - WOW this thing is very heavy. Noticeably heavier/thicker than my 6s+. Feels a lot more solid. The button isn't a button but sure feels like one with the feedback. I like it. Wireless charging works like a charm. Phone is a LOT easier to use nekkid but you get fingerprints on the back so I slapped on my Anker Breeze Karapax case - wireless charging works perfectly still.

Easier to see screen outdoors. Loving going back to black from a white 6s+. It is noticeably faster than the 6s+ but the 6s+ is by no means slow.

Battery capacity is 2752 mAh (coconutBattery) - way over the design capacity of 2675 mAh! Woo hoo.

I did several calls to try to replicate the crackling issue reported in the forums - even had a 23 min call with my mom. Looks like my 8+ is crackle free.

Screen is just incredibly pleasant to look at - True Tone.

Best thing I love so far? Setting my phone down on the wireless charger and the fact that the black case and black phone is just amazing (black is my favorite color).

22. mzengr macrumors regular

mzengr

I love my 8+...and that’s coming from the 7+. 64GB is perfect for me. I still had almost 80GB left on my 7+. I wanted a black face this year so I got the Space Gray. I have no problem with the models being the same. If a 7S would have launched with just a few internal upgrades I would’ve upgraded anyway so I don’t have an issue with the 8.

23. chanerz macrumors 6502a

24. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Glad you're happy with your 8+, its the model I'd go for.

The Anker Breeze Karapax case looks great and reasonable price which wireless charger and screen protector do you recommend?
    thanks

25. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I bought this wireless charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it looks like it is sold out - the only one listed is: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wirele...1-spons&keywords=anker+wireless+charger&psc=1

For the screen protector I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YZD9HR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 --- but still trying to decide if I want to go screen-protector-less this time around.