AdBlocker: Pros & cons of native apps vs browser-based

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yoms, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Yoms macrumors member

Hi,

I've been searching for an AdBlocker for Safari and found a nice topic here.

Disregarding price aspects, I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of a native app over a safari-based extension? Or do you any good article that explains this thoroughly?

Thanks a lot!

2. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

can't help you with safari, but I know the best is uBlockOrigin for Chrome and FireFox which you should check out...Firefox not Safari.

3. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

Hi there,

A native ad-blocker offers a few significant advantages. I use AdGuard for macOS (which is also available on iOS, Android, and Windows) which blocks ads at the network level - this means that ads are blocked before reaching your computer. What that means for you is that it blocks ads for any application - Safari, Chrome, Firefox, any browser, any app that displays ads (most useful on iOS/Android/mobile devices) - and not just Safari, like a Safari extension does. So various apps that display ads will also have those ads blocked. iOS apps/games showing ads, like news apps? It can block them too (mobile version), but the concept is the same for a native desktop app.

Cheers

4. Yoms thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification!