Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Funny how some computers have popups and redirects saying that "you do not have the current version of Flashplayer to view this content"

That never happens with H.264 content.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Here's some interesting info from the following article.. (link down below)

Some of the highlights of Ozer's findings are below, broken up into both Mac and Windows test results.

Mac Tests

With Safari, HTML5 was the most efficient and consumed less CPU than Flash using only 12.39% CPU. With Flash 10.0, CPU utilization was at 37.41% and with Flash 10.1, it dropped to 32.07%

With Google Chrome, Flash and HTML5 were both equally inefficient (both are around 50%)

With Firefox, Flash was only slightly less efficient than in Safari, but better than in Chrome

Windows Tests

Safari wouldn't play HTML5 videos, so there was no way to test that. However, Flash 10.0 used 23.22% CPU but Flash 10.1 only used 7.43% CPU

Google Chrome was more efficient on Windows than Mac. Playback with Flash Player 10.0 was about 24% more efficient than HTML5, while Flash Player 10.1 was 58% more efficient than HTML5.

On Firefox, Flash 10.1 dropped CPU utilization to 6% from 22% in Flash 10.0
In IE8, Flash 10.0 used 22.41% CPU and Flash 10.1 used 14.62% CPU

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_html5_really_beat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I just wish one of these guys would post proof of what they write about. Jobs should show an iPad or iPhone running flash against one that is running HTML5 video or something and the drain on battery life.

That would end this very quick

Good idea! Can this be done with a jailbroken iPhone? Then we do not need to wait for Apple or Adobe for this.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
So what would happen to Apple computer marketshare if Adobe were to do an Apple and only make an effort at developing on one platform... say, Windows? Or do "creative types" not use Adobe on Apple any more?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Which is the more closed platform:
- Flash; or
- Cocoa + App Store?

The App Store is more closed and controlled for typically better user experiences.

Webkit and HTML5, supported by the iPad and iPhone are far more open.

Apple is playing both sides, and Adobe is stuck in no-mans-land in the middle.

So what would happen to Apple computer marketshare if Adobe were to do an Apple and only make an effort at developing on one platform... say, Windows?

Far less than would happen to Adobe's marketshare!

dmbaggie

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Texas
Both are essentially closed

- Flash; or
- Cocoa + App Store?

Should be written
- Flash (closed) + Internet (open)
- Cocoa (open) + App Store (closed)

It's a question of development and deployment. Neither are comparing apples to apples here (pardon the pun), and both systems as a whole are really closed in the end.

And, in the end apple will win. As a graphic designer I've found more and more value in apple products and less and less value in adobe's "upgrades." It wouldn't take much to connect all of apple's pro apps (final cut studio + aperture + iweb "pro"). I'd buy it for sure.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Flash makes my battery life from :) to :(

And i'm using Adobe's newest 10.1 RC.

However, running Flash on Windows doesn't make my battery life drop at all.

Explain that Adobe. And no, I don't want to buy a new computer.

I agree. ADOBE **** and R-E-W-R-I-T-E.
You claim that it's Apples fault, yet you are too lazy to do a complete rewrite to utilize OSX.

SHAME on you.
Thanks for CS5 though. : )

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Here's some interesting info from the following article.. (link down below)

Some of the highlights of Ozer's findings are below, broken up into both Mac and Windows test results.

Mac Tests

With Safari, HTML5 was the most efficient and consumed less CPU than Flash using only 12.39% CPU. With Flash 10.0, CPU utilization was at 37.41% and with Flash 10.1, it dropped to 32.07%

With Google Chrome, Flash and HTML5 were both equally inefficient (both are around 50%)

With Firefox, Flash was only slightly less efficient than in Safari, but better than in Chrome

Windows Tests

Safari wouldn't play HTML5 videos, so there was no way to test that. However, Flash 10.0 used 23.22% CPU but Flash 10.1 only used 7.43% CPU

Google Chrome was more efficient on Windows than Mac. Playback with Flash Player 10.0 was about 24% more efficient than HTML5, while Flash Player 10.1 was 58% more efficient than HTML5.

On Firefox, Flash 10.1 dropped CPU utilization to 6% from 22% in Flash 10.0
In IE8, Flash 10.0 used 22.41% CPU and Flash 10.1 used 14.62% CPU

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_html5_really_beat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php

With Click2Flash I see 100% of the Flash videos that I click to play, and none of the ads, banners, and otherwise annoying garbage that makes up 80+% of the Flash web content and slows down the rendering of a page.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Quite often I would like Adobe to finally fix the problems with flash .... but these issues have been going on for years.

Based on the steve / adobe spat ..... I think steve outlined the problem and gave an accurate situation of the problem. Adobes response didnt really address any of apples claims and tried to deflect the statements and look at other issues non relevant to the apple statement.

Either way, I really hope that HTML5 develops quicker and offers a open source standard instead so we are not held to ransom by any company.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
Until someone from Adobe can present a rebuttal as well thought out, logical and understandable and Steve's original memo, they will loose this battle. Steve Jobs has turned the tables on Adobe's media machine this time.

Mr. Nayaran will need to do a lot more than just deny and try to replace blame everywhere but at Adobe's door if he wants to counter Steve's arguments this time. I am looking forward to reading the entire interview when the WSJ publishes it.

If he fails in rebutting Steve, it will be interesting to see what happens to Adobe stock this afternoon and tomorrow. You can bet the only reason Mr. Nayaran is giving an emergency WSJ interview with such haste is the risk of Adobe stock going south immediately. This is essentially a perfect example of "damage control" at its finest.

MrCrispy

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Just a thought from a different point of view:

At last check, AAPL's stock price is up 2.75% and ADBE is down 1.66%

I think that's a telling indicator of who the public agrees with at the moment.

Side note: the only thing Adobe as done to Flash since they bought it from Macromedia many moons ago is to make it more bloated and slower than it even was then. It was crap then and it's crap now. I have always dreaded when a client asks for Flash content on their sites and I have always advised against it.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Far less than would happen to Adobe's marketshare!

Would it? Surely people use the computer as a tool to do the work, and if Adobe stopped developing for Apple, people would just migrate to Windows? I mean, what'd be the alternative, if you're a Photoshop shop?

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
OS X is the reason OS X crashes from Flash? This guy is a total joke. I've had my Mac since '08, and the only crashes I've had are because of Flash (and I think Word '08 has crashed a few times (go figure)). Quit complaining that it's not your fault (when it is) and back up your words by improving your product.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Bravo on calling Jobs out for the soulless idiot that he is. It's going to be fun watching Apple fall apart under the weight of their own hypocrisy.

chugachpowder

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Mr Jobs,

I want to users to have an option to have Flash on their mobile devices. The amount of businesses I've had to say, "Sorry, no can do" then leave me, becuase their site won't work on the iPhone platform is substantial.

Regards,
Shamil
Chief Development Engineer and Software Architect
Radon Systems

Why don't you start creating your sites with HTML5 then? Not trying to be an ass but genuinely curious why you wouldn't explore another option if you are loosing a substantial amount of business?

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
- Flash; or
- Cocoa + App Store?

I love this argument. It's almost as if Apple tries to claim they have an open platform. Can you point me to some links in which they say that? Also, are they trying to create web standards? Please, enlighten me with this argument, because I think it's one of those things that tries to sound smart but actually fails horribly.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
OS X is the reason OS X crashes from Flash? This guy is a total joke. I've had my Mac since '08, and the only crashes I've had are because of Flash (and I think Word '08 has crashed a few times (go figure)). Quit complaining that it's not your fault (when it is) and back up your words by improving your product.

All I want for my birthday in June is a rewrite of Apple Flash.

And possibly CS5.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What Narayan meant by "open" was that Adobe Flash "opened" machines up to malware and security threats like Swiss cheese. Sorry, but I kind of like my safe closed developer friendly ecosystem on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.