Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
They really dont get it.

Thats great that you can watch video on your computer ... Generally speaking I DONT WANT to sit in my home office and watch video on my computer screen.

I want to walk into the loungeroom , browse through all my content and watch it on my big LCD or projector

It's called Apple TV
Well, I'm not so sure if Adobe is a major hardware developer. I guess we'll see if down the road hardware set top boxes will start incorporating Media Player (maybe version 7.6)....

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I guess somebody better tell Apple and their ad agency. :D

lol, its not like they didn't know it, they play the distortion to simply the market and serve their business purpose.

Tricking the mass is what every dirty corporations does. Nothing new, and nothing to be surprised of.

However, its indeed in the interest of the mass for good people to promote the truth and clarify the situation.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Does it do DivX? I never liked QT's crippling of video playback options (didn't they JUST start supporting Full-Screen on the free player?) and limited codecs.

VLC is what I use for the majority of my video playback.

On the PC, I hate to say it, but Windows Media Player is king. Maybe I'll give this Adobe Player a shot on my Crap-Top.

-Clive

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Do we really need this? I appreciate the argument about cross-platform DRM, but seriously, do we *really* need this? How easily can I move this content to my iPod? I don't want to watch it on my computer. I want it on my TV screen. Apple TV lets me do this easily.

The media companies need to stop being so afraid of having a single gatekeeper. It's the only way to ensure a consistent user experience. Or *they* need to get together and define a standard and require all hardware and software manufacturers to adopt it - or get no media. By allowing all the tech companies to battle over how best for us to consume media, the media companies are alienating consumers and creating confusion.

I don't want *another* media player. I want a standard. And I want all this battling over formats, DRM, and all this other stuff to stop. Because, quite frankly, I don't think most of the media being produced today - be it crap television or even more crap music - is worth this much aggravation.

Your thoughts are silly, there are alot of websites and programming companies which this can help with. and the install the tiny player, it is only a 1.4 mb file! don't know what you are complaining about, it is small like flash and very easy to use.

This is a solution websites can use to enable users to download video content and be able to watch it on the go, when offline and more. there is alot more than flash streaming that content distributors want to offer. This is actually a robust solution that is much MORE open and less rigid than the DRM and system and pricing itunes offers.

Apple only offers their own, one model fits all approach. and Quicktime has no dynamic DRM support beyond what itunes offers on fairplay.

this is a pretty decent thing, i goto alot of sites and places that don't offer enough mac compatible content because... well... there isn't a mac version. lets be happy there is such and i am not going to worry about only using one program, itunes, for video. there can be more. just be happy because Microsoft stopped real Windows Media Player support for Mac. so this steps in and fills the void. MSFT will be hard pressed now to offer Windows Media Player DRM compatibility on macs now.

there is finally competition ! this is a good thing.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
initial impressions and reason for downloading

im not american and don't have the luxury to see all the cool shows you folksies get. this i thought would be a cool way to view them.

well, it does work ont the mac but it does not work like a mac. there are no menu controls, they must all be somewhere inside the window that pops up: sign of just a quick port from windows. sad too, this could have been damn cool.

one of the reasons i have enjoyed mac platform for years is the consistencies in design and content applications for it. at the moment, this just seems like a frivolous attempt at placating some mac users. as for content: great but... at what bloody cost? haha

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
That's precisely what I want; once place with everything that I need, how I want it.
I want all of my food to come from one shop, all of my media content to come from one store, etc.
It's just easier, and when there's only a single source, things are better organised.

I hope your kidding.

w00master

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Okay, I must be missing something big here, but, every time I look at my iTunes installation, which is cross platform Win/Mac and more importantly extends to my living room (AppleTV) and shirt pocket (iPod) ... it sure as hell looks like Apple has had cross-platform DRM in the mix for several years now.

Netflix's issue was that Apple would let them license FairPlay for use in their own store. Is that what you're talking about?

Apple is very restrictive about what they sell on itunes and the ability for content owners to distribute DRM protected files on discs or download on their own. additionally, tehy have a rigid pricing structure. sometimes good for consumers, others it was bad. ie forcing people to buy a $15 movie instead of allowign for a $3 rental. things change and pressure on apple to remain competitive is good.

to be honest, this is a good solution for DRM and non-DRM content, the more the merrier!!

Microsoft crippled their mac player, this is a welcome competition against WMP, moreso than against itunes.

so... welcome the competition!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Oh and it is a case of fans, fans, fans for Laptop users!

80-90% CPU when playing, 30-40% when idle.

Sigh. I downloaded and like it (especially the Food Network content). However, it's very difficult to enjoy when your MacBook's fans are spinning at their highest setting. :(

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
So, from here on out, you want Apple to provide you with ALL of your media needs?

I don't want a "single gatekeeper" for my media needs. I want competition. I want more options. Imagine if you bought all of your TVs from only one store, Best Buy. Sound good to you?

I feel your frustration, yet at the same time part of the reason why this is because *every* one of these companies: MS, Apple, Adobe, etc. all want *their* format to win. Just like blaming Adobe here, you should honestly blame Apple just as equally.

This is just more reason why DRM needs to go away. All of you out there that says "who cares about DRM?" Well, here's a REALLY great reason why DRM needs to go FAST.

At the same time, you have many on here that asks these questions:

1. Why isn't there a Mac version of Netflix online?
2. Why isn't there a Mac version of Amazon Unboxed?

So on and so forth...

Part of the problem is MS, they won't release a Mac version of protected WMV player. BUT the other part of the problem (EQUALLY shared) is Apple. They won't share FairPlay. Guess what? You can't get Netflix Online; etc. etc.

Don't only blame Netflix and these other companies. Don't only blame Microsoft. Apple definitely deserves *equal* blame here.

w00master

I agree with you 100%, I love apple, but in the media space, they are being more of a Bully. And as anti-DRM as some people are... the biggest problem is not having well managed DRM. Because apple won't open up fairplay, it is creating consumer hatred of DRM. some devices can't play content from other stores and etc.

why can't there be a centralized DRM standard??? something that can allow consumers the freedom to enjoy what they rent, buy, download free and more.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Based on the screen shot there, maybe I see an iTunes interface revamp to compete. Itunes is a little bland, but very good at the same time.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
The media companies need to stop being so afraid of having a single gatekeeper.
This sounds like it could eventually lead to a monopoly lawsuit of some kind.
It's the only way to ensure a consistent user experience.
This is good in theory. Though what happens if the consistent user interface is not the one you want (imagine if in OS-land, Windows was the consistent and only user interface).
Or *they* need to get together and define a standard and require all hardware and software manufacturers to adopt it - or get no media. By allowing all the tech companies to battle over how best for us to consume media, the media companies are alienating consumers and creating confusion.
I'm not sure if I want the media companies controlling the "standard."
I don't want *another* media player. I want a standard. And I want all this battling over formats, DRM, and all this other stuff to stop.
Would it be cool with you if the standard format ended up being DRM'ed WMV? What if the media companies controlled the standard (hardware and/or software) chose WMV with DRM as the standard, and was only available on Windows (to ensure consistent user experience :p -- though it would probably be a case of M$ only providing Windows support for its DRM)?

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Why is Apple the problem if they refuse to license their work?

These would-be content distributors want to experiment with digital distribution but balk at developing their own tools. Netflix and Universal and others can bitch and moan about Apple not licensing their DRM but here's the deal: they can hire people to develop their own damn DRM if Apple won't license it. There's nothing stopping them. When I hear companies like Netflix complain about that, I wonder why they didn't think about that ahead of time and develop their own cross-platform DRM scheme. Apple did it for their own purposes and there's no foul play when they refuse to license it. It just sounds to me that a lot of companies out there want to play in the new digital media playground but they don't want to pay the entry fee in terms of R&D.

great post

it's just business people

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Hey Adobe, here's an idea: how about fixing your crap software first?
Hey Adobe, since I can't afford any of your other software, feel free to put R & D into this free comsumer-ware :D

I kid I kid!

Well, not about the not being able to afford their software. Dang that stupid lottery.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
So, from here on out, you want Apple to provide you with ALL of your media needs?

I don't want a "single gatekeeper" for my media needs. I want competition. I want more options. Imagine if you bought all of your TVs from only one store, Best Buy. Sound good to you?

I feel your frustration, yet at the same time part of the reason why this is because *every* one of these companies: MS, Apple, Adobe, etc. all want *their* format to win. Just like blaming Adobe here, you should honestly blame Apple just as equally.

This is just more reason why DRM needs to go away. All of you out there that says "who cares about DRM?" Well, here's a REALLY great reason why DRM needs to go FAST.

At the same time, you have many on here that asks these questions:

1. Why isn't there a Mac version of Netflix online?
2. Why isn't there a Mac version of Amazon Unboxed?

So on and so forth...

Part of the problem is MS, they won't release a Mac version of protected WMV player. BUT the other part of the problem (EQUALLY shared) is Apple. They won't share FairPlay. Guess what? You can't get Netflix Online; etc. etc.

Don't only blame Netflix and these other companies. Don't only blame Microsoft. Apple definitely deserves *equal* blame here.

w00master

Nice post.

LuWoo75

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2005
I like it

For the first version it isn't bad. Just needs more content and I will admit the UI could use some work, but overall I like the idea of having free streaming shows anytime I want them. I just watch two episodes of CSI-Miami decent quality very little buffer time needed. This could actually be promising, good job Adobe :)

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Core Competency

It just seems to me that Adobe is now trying to do everything instead of just focusing on what they used to do best. The famous saying comes to mind:

"Jack of all trades, master of none."

I just wish they would focus more on their professional apps instead of stuff like this.

There is money to be made in digital distribution and Adobe has the technologies to compete. Adobe makes software for digital media -- all kinds. Video certainly qualifies. Adobe seems to be expanding their business in a logical way that remains well within their core competencies.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Netflix and Universal and others can bitch and moan about Apple not licensing their DRM but here's the deal: they can hire people to develop their own damn DRM if Apple won't license it. There's nothing stopping them. When I hear companies like Netflix complain about that, I wonder why they didn't think about that ahead of time and develop their own cross-platform DRM scheme.
Why would media companies pour X dollars into developing their own DRM if one exists that fits their needs?

If there was a software application out there that fit one of your needs, but you couldn't use it, would you spend money on education and training and develop your own application that you could use? Especially if there was an alternative that worked and also fit your requirements.

quovadis

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
in PA
Has anyone tried to uninstall this software?
I like very much the macos way of removing unwanted software (just drag the app to the trash) and I always dislike mac sw that comes with strange installers like this one.

Has anyone tried to uninstall this software?
How does it work?

Thanks

The uninstaller works - found a couple of folders the uninstaller did not delete.
The player is too CPU intensive (as other posters have indicated, the fans kick in immediately) - hopefully this changes with future versions.
Watched a CSI-NY episode and the quality was OK

I will wait for version 2.0 before I try it again:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.