Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

111010-dreamweaver_box.jpg

With all of the clamor over the Apple's favoring of Web standards such as HTML5 over Adobe's Flash, it seems notable that Adobe has stepped forward with an announcement that it has released an "HTML5 Pack" extension to its Dreamweaver CS5 website authoring application.
The Adobe HTML5 Pack is an extension to Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, the latest version of the industry-leading HTML authoring tool for website design. This extension provides more creative options to Adobe Creative Suite 5 users – so they can more easily create, deliver and optimize compelling content consistently, across the widest array of screens, to maximize revenue streams and forward their businesses.
The new HTML5 Pack is available as a free download for users of Dreamweaver CS5.

Adobe's release, while certainly in the works well before Apple CEO Steve Jobs posted his Thoughts on Flash open letter, serves as something of an answer to the challenge posed by Jobs at the conclusion of that letter.
Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

Article Link: Adobe Releases HTML5 Extension for Dreamweaver CS5

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
It would be a death trap for Adobe NOT to support HTML5, and obviously they've been working on it for some time. Props to Adobe for getting this out so quickly.

I still believe Flash is useful for anything not related to video or audio (such as complex 3-D animation, games, etc.). Trying to convert these types of things into an HTML5/Javascript equivalent would be a coding nightmare.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I still believe Flash is useful for anything not related to video or audio (such as complex 3-D animation, games, etc.). Trying to convert these types of things into an HTML5/Javascript equivalent would be a coding nightmare.

An important bullet point is also that Flash CS5 supports exporting animations to HTML5 Canvas.

Adobe are in the HTML5 game, no matter what some people on here and Steve Jobs wants to claim.

And creating complex games in Flash requires more than just Flash CS5 and some pointing and clicking. ActionScript and Javascript are very similar and Canvas is made for such "coding nightmares".

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
This is great!! I'm downloading it now. Good to see Adobe embracing HTML5.

How's that for a concession..

It should also be said that Adobe Flash CS5 exports out to HTML5. This feature has been in development since last year... before the whole Apple vs Adobe thing.

Hell, Business is Business.. if HTML5 can bring business, you may as well give customers the option. Props to Adobe!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Good, now make it so that we can create HTML5 content visually. I don't want to type my website, it's freaking boring.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Adobe would be smart in the long run to update Flash with tools for authoring HTML5 content/animation as well as native Flash content. It could be akin to the "export as iPhone app" functionality they've developed, but an "export as HTML5" instead. I'd be surprised if that's not already in the works as an update to CS5 or in the pipeline for CS6.

EDIT:
This is great!! I'm downloading it now. Good to see Adobe embracing HTML5.

It should also be said that Adobe Flash CS5 exports out to HTML5. This feature has been in development since last year... before the whole Apple vs Adobe thing.

Hell, Business is Business.. if HTML5 can bring business, you may as well give customers the option. Props to Adobe!

Well, there you go :p

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
It would be a death trap for Adobe NOT to support HTML5, and obviously they've been working on it for some time. Props to Adobe for getting this out so quickly.

You should try watching Google IO conference on YouTube. There are stuff they demoed of what HTML5 can do that are on par or even better than flash such as direct hardware access to GPU and multicore execution for intensive 3D games, websites that include animations like Sports Illustrated, Clicker.tv, interactive HTML5 based ads as well as Adobe's CSS3 Animation Editor.

Coding in JavaScript isn't a nightmare especially when you know what your doing. There are tons of APIs out there. JavaScript execution speed will always get better as browsers improve it. For simple tasks like updating an SVG element is easy done in JS. Processor intensive tasks such as photo manipulation and filter effects can effectively be done and spawned to multicores using webworkers. For a more complicated web app, one can use Google's GWT compiler which compiles Java and it's classes to a highly optimized JavaScript. An example of this was Quake II running in HTML5's core technologies.

Flash is here to stay but it's days are numbered. There are things that Flash can do now but I can list the things that HTML5 can do that Flash lacks of.

What I'm suprised is CS5 didn't already include this in the retail version.

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Good move Adobe. Lets focus more on advancing and embracing new technology and stop adapting a dying software to new age hardware.

mrochester

macrumors 68030
Feb 8, 2009
Good move Adobe. Lets focus more on advancing and embracing new technology and stop adapting a dying software to new age hardware.

I think it seems more to be a case of knowing HTML5 is the future, but also knowing that Flash is now. It's better to be mindful of the future whilst supporting today's standards than it is to only be thinking of the future and cutting out today's standards.

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
Unlike SOME COMPANIES .. Adobe proves that it's open .. and Loves Choice!

Adobe is allowing customers to choose WHAT THEY WANT! and how they want to build it. Not locking us into one CLOSED SYSTEM.

Apple could learn from this.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yep....

This is the *correct* response. I'm so TIRED of tech. companies that want to litigate instead of innovate!

The reason a tech. product becomes popular (or "great") in the FIRST place is because it's innovative and users appreciate the new capabilities it gives them. Funny how most companies don't really seem to grasp this reality though, so they try to cling onto their successes long after they've gone "stale" ... and finally wind up in legal battles, attempting to force people to accept their products.

I'm not just looking at Adobe and the Flash thing here... I'm looking at the recording industry, the movie industry, and many others with outdated business models - who can't see that the KEY to their success is to rethink and re-invent themselves.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Thanx Adobe!!!

I am a harsh critic of the continued use of Flash and have punished Adobe on these boards recently.:mad:

However, to be fair, if they come around to HTML5, then they deserve praise for doing so.:)

Let's hope the whole Flash controversy can be put to rest....soon.

We all win when Adobe/Apple are on the same page.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Unlike SOME COMPANIES .. Adobe proves that it's open .. and Loves Choice!

Adobe is allowing customers to choose WHAT THEY WANT! and how they want to build it. Not locking us into one CLOSED SYSTEM.

Apple could learn from this.

Adobe isn't conceding to Apple, Adobe is following what they stated. Allowing the customers to choose.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
No, this is kinda old news. Adobe announced last November that HTML5 would be in its CS5 web suite applications.
*Ssssssh*. Let them live in the pipe dream that these extensions were rushed together after mighty Steve wrote his open letter. Adobe never heard of HTML5 before Steve told them a few weeks ago, didn't you know? ;)

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
oh yeah, Apple really put the hurt on adobe.

They just pooped this HTML5 support out from scratch in less than a month.

*rolleyes*

somone voted "negative" for this?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Except this doesn't work ....

When you get caught up in trying to preserve the "status quo" while you're simultaneously trying to "think of the future" -- you wind up with mediocre results. This is probably the #1 reason Microsoft's Windows product is considered inferior to Apple's OS X. Apple is willing to cut loose old tech. They draw a line and say "Tough luck... but anything we make after THIS point no longer has "legacy" code in it to support the previous technology." Microsoft, by contrast, tries to be everything to everybody. They're worried about their customers who STILL want to run some 16-bit application written for Windows '95, so they load up Windows 7 with a bunch of code that allows you to configure it to run the old stuff.

At some point, you're left supporting what amounts to two complete operating systems, rolled into one, just to maintain it all ... and it's a huge mess!

I think there's some more merit to trying to maintain support for older HARDWARE. Physical peripherals like scanners, printers or contoller cards generally have no reason they CAN'T work with whatever the latest software is. New drivers simply have to be written to communicate with them. When that doesn't happen, it usually comes down to planned obsolescence or laziness on the part of the manufacturer and driver developers.

But on the software/OS side? If you want things to progress forward efficiently and quickly, you have to draw a line and cut off support of the former "standards".

I think it seems more to be a case of knowing HTML5 is the future, but also knowing that Flash is now. It's better to be mindful of the future whilst supporting today's standards than it is to only be thinking of the future and cutting out today's standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.