Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Those complexities should surprise anyone. The fact is, Adobe can't parse anything from Affinity, but the leaps of improvements Affinity's Suite is showing will soon have it surpassing Adobe's equivalent offerings, and that's actually sad seeing as they were the pioneers in each of these categories.

It’s Affinity that can’t read complex TIFFs and PSDs or export them properly to be read in Photoshop. I shouldn’t say complex really. Even some simple clipped layers can’t be read properly by Affinity.

Feature wise though Affinity have tried to copy Photoshop’s features but they are around 5-10 years behind Photoshop. No object select, no subject select, no puppet warp, no facial recognition, no neural filters, weaker proofing tools, nothing close to Actions, no scripting support, no integration with NLEs and compositors. Doesn’t even add the link to the foreground/background color picker in the tool bar which is such an oversight.

We been though this type of online debates for 25 years. In the 90s some said ‘Use Paint Shop Pro. It’s $50 why pay $1500 to Adobe. OR Use GIMP iTs FrEe.’

It makes people sound really unprofessional and inexperienced to push an attractive budget app instead of an industry leading tool that all the budget apps try to copy and never catch up.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Expected to see industry standard Photoshop benchmark results for comparison but nothing. How about a more recent CPU comparison?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchmarks/

Update: From extrapolation, if Photoshop performance on M1 is ~50% faster than 2019 Macbook Pro with high end i7-8557U CPU option which is equivalent to i7-8565U on this chart then it's on par with latest Intel Tiger Lake i7-1165G7.

22-o.png
Yes I have a i9 which is still faster then a M1 and I can use a egpu box with a 3080 card for better graphics performance. So my system is still out performing.

Reactions: mi7chy

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Yes I have a i9 which is still faster then a M1 and I can use a egpu box with a 3080 card for better graphics performance. So my system is still out performing.

At much greater heat, noise, energy and with throttling from time to time.

When the 16” is replaced with the Apple Silicon model the CPU performance will not only be much better but also a desktop GPU will have negligible benefit over the M1 GPU update.

All that probably under 70 watts.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It’s Affinity that can’t read complex TIFFs and PSDs or export them properly to be read in Photoshop. I shouldn’t say complex really. Even some simple clipped layers can’t be read properly by Affinity.

Feature wise though Affinity have tried to copy Photoshop’s features but they are around 5-10 years behind Photoshop. No object select, no subject select, no puppet warp, no facial recognition, no neural filters, weaker proofing tools, nothing close to Actions, no scripting support, no integration with NLEs and compositors. Doesn’t even add the link to the foreground/background color picker in the tool bar which is such an oversight.

We been though this type of online debates for 25 years. In the 90s some said ‘Use Paint Shop Pro. It’s $50 why pay $1500 to Adobe. OR Use GIMP iTs FrEe.’

It makes people sound really unprofessional and inexperienced to push an attractive budget app instead of an industry leading tool that all the budget apps try to copy and never catch up.

Yep. For the core features supported By both suites, Affinity does a very good job and has a nicer interface that adheres better to local conventions. But there are a lot of things Affinity apps cannot yet do, and if you need to do those things even once in awhile then you have little choice but to send your money to Adobe.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The Ryzen 9 Blows away the M1 especially in the GPU.
Thats the machine I'm getting for $1600

I used to always buy no-name laptops with AMD CPUs (I was an AMD cpu-designer, so I certainly wasn’t going to go Intel Inside).

In retrospect, they all sucked. Those no-name brands always looked great on paper - awesome specs, great value, etc. They always required me to become a full-time driver engineer and they would physically fall apart within a year or two.

Nice to see real companies like Asus supporting AMD now. Of course, my friend who always seems to buy Asus laptops is constantly coming to me asking for help with his non-functioning Asus laptops, so *shrug*.

Reactions: 2Stepfan
but Adobe says "with similar configuration", so I suppose that the M1 GPU is compared to the intel iris, which is several times slower.

Could be! Also, similar is not exact. No one in their right mind (according to my patience level :p ) would try to run Photoshop on a Intel Iris, so I was thinking a reasonable "similar" config. This is the hard part, things will never be an apples to apples ;) comparison. Which is sort of my point. It's a speed increase on hardware that is less money, less power, and at no cost from Adobe. It's a positive on all fronts, literally no downsides. The level of win I suppose might not be impressive, but categorizing as "not impressed" feels like trying to find something to dislike rather than acknowledging the upsides all round. But I guess I am just a glass half full kind of guy! :D

The Ryzen 9 Blows away the M1 especially in the GPU.
Thats the machine I'm getting for $1600

If you are looking for gaming, we all know Mac is NOT where it's at. If you are looking for other tasks then the user experience is just not there for these other devices. The one specifically you are looking at has had complaints all over the internet about how much the fan runs, even at idle, and how hot it gets, etc.... Just imagine what all that extra power and heat is going to do to the longevity of that machine. But again, maybe you replace your computers quickly and you don't care. Just things to consider...

If gaming is super important AND you do other tasks sometimes, then that might be the machine for you.

Just remember that raw power is not the only measure of what makes a machine "good". There is a lot of hype around the Zephyrus and what it can crank out, but it certainly has trade offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.