Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Am already at Affinity but where is the DAM part? Am I the only person here hating organizing file based solutions?
They have online support and forums.
Also a plethora of YouTube videos, and there are two excellent Facebook groups posting tutorials and answering questions.

fmillion

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Many years ago, a congressperson in my state added something like a $0.02 tax for some certain situations.

There was an uproar. People not only made it clear that they wouldn't vote for the person again, but that they would seek to find some way to sanction him. Not so much because of the $0.02, but because of his public attitude: "It's only $0.02, nobody's going to notice."

The $0.02 tax was rescinded.

This is a lot more than $0.02. It's $10.00 more.

Sometimes it's not even that people care about $10. It's that people care about the attitude of the entity trying to charge them that extra money. Adobe in this case is trying to mask price gouging as "testing". Does any reasonable person think that people are going to like paying $10 more per month for effectively the same services? (Similar thing happens when a paid app goes subscription - I have learned not to get too attached to mobile creativity apps because, even when they start out as pay-to-download apps, they all ultimately move to a relatively incredibly expensive subscription-based app and then screw over all of those who paid for the app up front.)

If they had raised the price by $2 and at least made a reasonable effort to argue that it has to do with rising server costs or something partly logical, most people might gripe for a while but then eventually it'll just be the norm. But doubling the price and calling it "testing"? That's some pure grade-A bull.

Not to mention Adobe's software QA has gone to hell. I have to keep my copy of Premiere Pro downgraded since the current version won't even start up on a laptop with a dual-GPU solution. As someone who works in software development, I'm honestly getting tired of the whole "release incremental updates every week" strategy. It might work for Web apps, but for desktop professional apps, it's just not appropriate. (Microsoft is learning this the hard way with their snafu's over Windows updates.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If Adobe makes this the standard, I'm so done with them. I feel 9.99 is an acceptable price, but not 20 dollars a month.

Reactions: tgara

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If Adobe makes this the standard, I'm so done with them. I feel 9.99 is an acceptable price, but not 20 dollars a month.
But where will you go? The fact that Adobe did this means they know they have the market for themselves.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
But where will you go? The fact that Adobe did this means they know they have the market for themselves.

Capture 1, Affinity Photo, etc etc etc. There are plenty of great options now. Affinity photo having the full program on iPad is huge. It’s what pushed adobe to finally say they were going to do it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Capture 1, Affinity Photo, etc etc etc. There are plenty of great options now. Affinity photo having the full program on iPad is huge. It’s what pushed adobe to finally say they were going to do it.
Affinity Photo is an alternative for Photoshop, not Lightroom.
Alternative for Photoshop is plentiful, I agree. Alternative for Lightroom is not. So far there are only Capture 1 and on1 that I know, and although they are okay, they are still not as good as Lightroom imo. Those are not enough competition. There used to be a healthy competition (Aperture), but that’s history. :(

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
If you're talking about a pro photographer, then yes, the items in the first paragraph might be realistic and I doubt many of those people that are invested in Photoshop and Lightroom will cancel if the price goes up. But there are many hobbyists for whom a doubling of the price would be objectionable.

This. For Pros for whom photography is their business, the increased cost of the Adobe suite is an expense that can be passed on to their customers or possibly deducted from their business taxes as a business expense. But for hobbyists who obviously cannot do that, a doubling of the price can be a real hit and for those people, cheaper alternatives are readily available.

Personally I avoid Adobe products as much as possible, and not just for cost reasons. Their apps, while capable, are bloated from sloppy and lazy code writing (hence the term “bloatware”), sluggish, and insidious within the computer. For me, other alternatives do just fine.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Capture 1, is probably the one I'd move too. I'd also use Adobe Bridge (free) to manage my images, and then use another app for non destructive editing, and there are plenty of of those apps out.

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
There are some seriously good algorithms behind Lightroom’s tools that leave the alternatives in the dust.

But obviously doubling your price with no major changes to the software in years is going to tick everyone off, even if you’re a photographer who’s rolling in cash. It’s called taking the piss.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
When you look in the dictionary for greed, I'm sure Adobe is listed as example. Much like ebay, they drive away their customer base by increasing prices beyond sanity. The good news is: that's what capitalism is there for. Adobe is not alone. Their apps are good but far from superior. In fact, competitors have apps that are much less bloated than Photoshop, Lightroom,...
Adobe is one of those companies that loses customers due to their high prices, then raises prices again to compensate for the lack in revenue. Management gets a medal & boni for high revenue in another year. Next time when subscriptions expire, more people leave. Result: drop in revenue, community shrinks. That drives even more users away.
Unfortunately -and ironically- the community of Adobe is so large mostly due to piracy. As such, I would appreciate if their software even vanishes from the warez & torrent pages so people discover the alternatives.

Reactions: BJMRamage

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
At this point is there anything Adobe does or makes that doesn’t have better value somewhere else?

Yes. As mentioned Lightroom and Adobe’s tools (with a few exceptions) produce far superior results to the competition. For example, Lightroom’s highlight recovery absolutely kills that from C1, Affinity Photo, or anything else I’ve tested.

Lightroom and Photoshop have their faults, but under the hood there’s some formidable tech.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Oh and that bug that causes your mouse click to get stuck about 30% of the time that you've all been reporting since 2008? Yeah we made sure to port it to the new version as well! Now for only twice the price!

C-Dubs

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Honolulu, HI
The comments are going to be filled with a lot of upset users.

Photographer: Doesn't blink at spending $1500-5000 on a new lens, or $3000-5000 on a new camera body, or $300-800 on a new tripod, or $400-900 on a new flash, or $150 a pop on new UHS-II SD cards, or $800-3000 on a Thunderbolt RAID setup and SSDs, or $3000-7000 on a new Mac, or $800-2000 on a second and third display, or thousands of dollars on lighting equipment and backdrops and travel and paying models and grips.

Also photographer: Freaks out at having to pay Adobe a couple hundred bucks a year to edit, organize, share, and store all of their photos.

Y'all suck.

You’re talking about people who make $$$ on their photos. It’s the casual, hobbyist, and just starting out ones that don’t have that kind of money that are pissed.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
This. For Pros for whom photography is their business, the increased cost of the Adobe suite is an expense that can be passed on to their customers or possibly deducted from their business taxes as a business expense. But for hobbyists who obviously cannot do that, a doubling of the price can be a real hit and for those people, cheaper alternatives are readily available.

Personally I avoid Adobe products as much as possible, and not just for cost reasons. Their apps, while capable, are bloated from sloppy and lazy code writing (hence the term “bloatware”), sluggish, and insidious within the computer. For me, other alternatives do just fine.

Exactly as stated in the first paragraph. And the proposed increase was just for the photo portion.
I use the Design Premium and can’t afford/justify that. Can you imagine if they doubled that price.
I’m still eking by on my old CS3 suite though I know the next iteration of Mojave will not support it. I’ll not update Mojave until I’m completely settled in with the Affinity apps. I love the apps, on desktop and iPad. Just can’t wait for their page layout app later this year. Betas on it have been pretty nice.

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Screw the cloud. Even when it runs your licensing. Used to be you bought something you owned it. Now we own nothing. We rent everything, and they can change the rates whenever.

Reactions: jagolden

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Has anyone found a good alternative to Lightroom Classic? (not CC!) All we want is a photo library management system that is not tied to any cloud. Our family library is getting close to 1TB and we have a home Synology NAS for storage, with offsite backup.

free:
darktable, rawtherapee

cheap:
photo mechanic

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Greed, greed, greed..... nothing else can explain this. But LR would be enough for me, I have Affinity which can do what I otherwise use PS for.

But this is the best example of corporate greed one have seen in a long time.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The comments are going to be filled with a lot of upset users.

Photographer: Doesn't blink at spending $1500-5000 on a new lens, or $3000-5000 on a new camera body, or $300-800 on a new tripod, or $400-900 on a new flash, or $150 a pop on new UHS-II SD cards, or $800-3000 on a Thunderbolt RAID setup and SSDs, or $3000-7000 on a new Mac, or $800-2000 on a second and third display, or thousands of dollars on lighting equipment and backdrops and travel and paying models and grips.

Also photographer: Freaks out at having to pay Adobe a couple hundred bucks a year to edit, organize, share, and store all of their photos.

Y'all suck.

You may some great points for sure.
I think where the anger/shock is coming from is the fact that there are software packages out there which rival LR so having Adobe increase their prices (if it happens for sure), might push people to other programs.

I use Affinity Photo and C1. C1 sucks for cloning (you need a layer for everything...annoying). But for everything else, it's great. Affinity Photo is only missing the content aware. Other than that, it's very powerful for a fraction of the cost. I should clarify that Affinity Photo does have 'inpainting' which is their answer to content aware. It's works well. I forgot about it to be honest. My mistake

Yes, it isn't 1 software package together which has its benefits, but there are alternatives.

For buying the gear you mentioned, there are rarely cheaper alternatives.

I think that's where it all stems from, but for me, I could care less because I don't use it. Although I still personally don't like subscriptions. I get why companies are doing it however.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: macduke

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Well, this is unwelcome news, and likely to cause some soul- (and app-) searching for me if they go through with it.

I go in spurts with my photography, sometimes going a couple of months between picking up the camera and getting creative. I would assume I'm in the same lane with a lot of artistic and hobbyist photographers. At $9.99 a month, I can sit on a few months and not feel like I'm wasting my money. At $19.99, that decision becomes starkly different.

Am I the only one still using CS6 version of the Photoshop?
Surely not! I use PS CS6, Illustrator CS6, Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, etc., etc., etc....

As I posted previously in this thread, I refuse to "rent" software at Adobe's prices. If I were still a designer for a living that may, I said MAY, be different. And whereas I use all of those apps on a regular basis for my business and for image editing related to my music career, I do not use any of them on a daily basis. So I would be a near-fool for paying Adobe to rent software I do not use on a daily basis.

Actually, I would be looking elsewhere even if I did still design for a living. I don't like the "rent-to-never-own" model of software usage.

I keep an older Mac with an older version of OS X just to be able to use all of those CS6 apps (CS5 version of one app) safely with no problems.

So no... you're not alone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.