Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Hi,

i'm currently looking at replacing my archaic 2013 iMac with a Studio Display and one of the following two MBPs:

- Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Max Chip 14-Core CPU, 30-Core GPU, 36GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 14 Inch | £2,939.98
- Apple MacBook Pro, Apple M3 Pro Chip 12-Core CPU, 18-Core GPU, 36GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 16 Inch | £2,679.99

I use Photoshop, Figma, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, Animate, Blender etc for work and most of my work is at my desk so it will be docked.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Would the M3 Max on a 14 inch be much higher in performance than the M3 Pro on a 16 inch (would it be noticeable in the applications above)?

2) I read some stuff about throttling on the 14 inch and wanted to know any experiences people have with it - do you think it would be an issue?

I'm leaning towards the 14 inch - an extra £260 for the extra 512GB of storage and upgraded chip seems tempting but wondering if throttling would be an issue or if I would benefit more from the bigger screen with a Pro over the Max chip on a smaller screen?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
the good news is both of these machines is going to blow you away if you are used to a 2013 iMac.

1) You will drive yourself crazy trying to decide between the pro and max based on performance, yes the max is faster, but would you notice it? not likely. having said that, if you don't plan on using the screen the extra 512 gb storage on the 14 would be useful.

2) throttling is way overblown (pun intended)... yes you can if you push it to all sorts of extremes get throttling but the reality is I do a fair amount of adobe photoshop and Lightroom with 61 mp raw files and never heard the fan turn on. blender might push it but I dont think so.

so in short, I wouldn't over think it. you are going to love it either way. if you plan on using the screen I would lean towards the 16 inch, if not, then yes the 14.

enjoy!

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
the good news is both of these machines is going to blow you away if you are used to a 2013 iMac.

1) You will drive yourself crazy trying to decide between the pro and max based on performance, yes the max is faster, but would you notice it? not likely. having said that, if you don't plan on using the screen the extra 512 gb storage on the 14 would be useful.

2) throttling is way overblown (pun intended)... yes you can if you push it to all sorts of extremes get throttling but the reality is I do a fair amount of adobe photoshop and Lightroom with 61 mp raw files and never heard the fan turn on. blender might push it but I dont think so.

so in short, I wouldn't over think it. you are going to love it either way. if you plan on using the screen I would lean towards the 16 inch, if not, then yes the 14.

enjoy!

TBH my 2013 iMac is still holding up - they just don't update the OS anymore :( It's an i7 3.5ghz/32GB RAM/4GB Geforce GTX 780M. Everything still runs smooth, I have about 20 browser tabs open plus photoshop, premiere pro, discord, excel, word, mail and a bunch of other stuff 🤣

Are you using a 14 or 16? Most of the time i'll be docked at the desk with a 27 inch screen but is the 14 big enough for the likes of photoshop (i'd probably use it a couple of hours per week away from the external screen).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You need to head to a store and play around with the 2 sizes of screens first hand. Only you can judge if the extra 2 inches matter enough. People around here will swear both are ideal (and they very well may be for each poster). If you have no Apple store (or affiliate Apple store at a Best Buy or similar), go see some PC laptops that are 14" and 16" to get a feel for screen space.

I wouldn't buy on other opinions about such a subjective-but-very-tangible matter. Some will still swear by the old 11 inch screens while others recall and long for the resurrection of the 17".

Is a 55" TV screen 'big enough'? One will say "Absolutely, it's perfect" while another will say "too small" and a third will say "too big." Only you can be the judge for you.

abrasion

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
hardest to run program would be blender. why don't you check blender's open data to see how each m3 compares?

Reactions: jordanm86

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
You need to head to a store and play around with the 2 sizes of screens first hand. Only you can judge if the extra 2 inches matter enough. People around here will swear both are ideal (and they very well may be for each poster). If you have no Apple store (or affiliate Apple store at a Best Buy or similar), go see some PC laptops that are 14" and 16" to get a feel for screen space.

I wouldn't buy on other opinions about such a subjective-but-very-tangible matter. Some will still swear by the old 11 inch screens while others recall and long for the resurrection of the 17".

Is a 55" TV screen 'big enough'? One will say "Absolutely, it's perfect" while another will say "too small" and a third will say "too big." Only you can be the judge for you.
I did go to the store a few weeks back but it was so busy I couldn't even get on a MBP :S

Managed to look at the Studio Display though which was hooked up to a mac mini and have to say, that nano-texture glass seems to make the image worse 🤣 It seemed hazy and desaturated.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Are you using a 14 or 16? Most of the time i'll be docked at the desk with a 27 inch screen but is the 14 big enough for the likes of photoshop (i'd probably use it a couple of hours per week away from the external screen).

Well probably the only thing as subjective as monitors is speakers...your mileage may vary. But I am fine with sharing my experiences and you seeing what aligns with yours.

For background, I own a M3 MBA 15, and a M3Max MBP 16 and an M2Ultra Studio which I maintain in 3 separate locations (plus a handful of iPads). I have owned in the past a M1 MBA 13 and an M1 Max MBP 14. I have never bought on pure specs alone, so you won't get a specs discussion from me. Nor am I a 'value warrior' focused on cost. I figure it's not a value regardless of sale price if it's not what I want. I also tend to focus on my work and tolerant of most things some people find distracting, fan noise, promotion or not. And don't even talk to me about fingerprints. WTH, wipe it off it it bothers you.

I almost always dock to a 27 inch studio display (standard not matte), I really like my screen space. And when I am working, whether it's graphical in nature or spreadsheets, I am usually multi tasking in the sense I like to have visible access to my email and web browser even while in photoshop.

So back to your question on screen size. for me, the 13 and 14 inch screens felt cramped. Remember I like a lot of windows. IF I was JUST working in photoshop or Lightroom, those sizes WOULD work, but I am just more comfortable with a larger screen when it's my only screen. But then, I have been known to use my iPad Pro as an external monitor too when I travel. The slight increase in weight is fine with me as I am only walking through an airport or equivalent.

And for me, that was my only consideration when settling on the laptops I own (ie not value). Would I want the smaller size for portability? After living with all 4 screen sizes, the answer for me is I prefer a bigger screen, so the MBA 15 and MBP 16. I do like the battery life of the larger sizes too.

Now, for performance.. This is heresy I know, but as I move between machines, from a M3 to a M2 Ultra or M3 Max, they feel more or less the same for me. Which is why I said earlier, based on your current comfort with a 10 year old computer, any of the apple silicon chips is going to impress the heck out of you.

So yep, screen size and color depth and refresh rate is really subjective. Go back to the store at a time its less crowded and push aside the tire kickers to get a feel for what works for you.

Side note. I can't help but comment, that the one screen one app model that makes the smaller screen sizes fine.. is the exact model of the iPads. I tend to use my iPads as content consumers not producers for that reason.

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Personally, to me even 16in is tiny for a full computer. It is ok in a pinch if you need to be on the go. (currently on Studio with 48in screen).

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Personally, to me even 16in is tiny for a full computer. It is ok in a pinch if you need to be on the go. (currently on Studio with 48in screen).
yeah I'm going to get the 27 inch studio display - it will only be a couple of hours per week where I use the MBP 'on the go' - it will mostly be docked at my desk :)

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Well probably the only thing as subjective as monitors is speakers...your mileage may vary. But I am fine with sharing my experiences and you seeing what aligns with yours.

For background, I own a M3 MBA 15, and a M3Max MBP 16 and an M2Ultra Studio which I maintain in 3 separate locations (plus a handful of iPads). I have owned in the past a M1 MBA 13 and an M1 Max MBP 14. I have never bought on pure specs alone, so you won't get a specs discussion from me. Nor am I a 'value warrior' focused on cost. I figure it's not a value regardless of sale price if it's not what I want. I also tend to focus on my work and tolerant of most things some people find distracting, fan noise, promotion or not. And don't even talk to me about fingerprints. WTH, wipe it off it it bothers you.

I almost always dock to a 27 inch studio display (standard not matte), I really like my screen space. And when I am working, whether it's graphical in nature or spreadsheets, I am usually multi tasking in the sense I like to have visible access to my email and web browser even while in photoshop.

So back to your question on screen size. for me, the 13 and 14 inch screens felt cramped. Remember I like a lot of windows. IF I was JUST working in photoshop or Lightroom, those sizes WOULD work, but I am just more comfortable with a larger screen when it's my only screen. But then, I have been known to use my iPad Pro as an external monitor too when I travel. The slight increase in weight is fine with me as I am only walking through an airport or equivalent.

And for me, that was my only consideration when settling on the laptops I own (ie not value). Would I want the smaller size for portability? After living with all 4 screen sizes, the answer for me is I prefer a bigger screen, so the MBA 15 and MBP 16. I do like the battery life of the larger sizes too.

Now, for performance.. This is heresy I know, but as I move between machines, from a M3 to a M2 Ultra or M3 Max, they feel more or less the same for me. Which is why I said earlier, based on your current comfort with a 10 year old computer, any of the apple silicon chips is going to impress the heck out of you.

So yep, screen size and color depth and refresh rate is really subjective. Go back to the store at a time its less crowded and push aside the tire kickers to get a feel for what works for you.

Side note. I can't help but comment, that the one screen one app model that makes the smaller screen sizes fine.. is the exact model of the iPads. I tend to use my iPads as content consumers not producers for that reason.
thanks for the in depth info! :)

I usually have lots open but even on my 27 inch iMac I full screen most of my apps and just cmd + tab between them (or use spaces).

I didn't realise you can use an iPad as a second monitor so actually that makes the 14 more appealing (I have a 12.9 iPad Pro).

Definitely think i'm going to go back to the shop and see if I can have a go :D

Reactions: G5isAlive

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
thanks for the in depth info! :)

I usually have lots open but even on my 27 inch iMac I full screen most of my apps and just cmd + tab between them (or use spaces).

I didn't realise you can use an iPad as a second monitor so actually that makes the 14 more appealing (I have a 12.9 iPad Pro).

Definitely think i'm going to go back to the shop and see if I can have a go :D
I have a 17in work laptop I take everywhere. When I need something outside of normal work hours, I'll take a 12.9in iPad with KB/mouse and use that to do everything.
I noticed a huge difference going from an m2 pro to m2 max but that is probably due to 16GB not being sufficient for me. GPU is quite a lot faster as well.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I noticed a huge difference going from an m2 pro to m2 max but that is probably due to 16GB not being sufficient for me. GPU is quite a lot faster as well.

I notice differences when I look for them, you are right they are real, but just saying when I am focused on work, they don't impact me if some apps slightly faster or a filter applies a second faster. no doubt they do, its just not a big deal to me. but I tend to be more tolerant of such than some.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

years ago you needed an app for that, but now its baked in to the OS under displays, advanced, link to iPad. its really simple once you know how and works well. This might be an apple silicon thing so your computer might not support it, but a new one would.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
years ago you needed an app for that, but now its baked in to the OS under displays, advanced, link to iPad. its really simple once you know how and works well. This might be an apple silicon thing so your computer might not support it, but a new one would.
There are two features: Sidecar and Universal Control

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
IMG_3586.png
IMG_3584.png
Get Max.
512 SSD are way slower than 1TB

Also there is huge performance difference between max and pro.

After

About throttling, even when present faster RAM will lead to better performance.
Tests showed throttle but people experience is that it’s not present. You need to use it extremely intense to lead this.
Also cooling system is really good on it, it’s not single fan but two.

Last edited:

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
I notice differences when I look for them, you are right they are real, but just saying when I am focused on work, they don't impact me if some apps slightly faster or a filter applies a second faster. no doubt they do, its just not a big deal to me. but I tend to be more tolerant of such than some.
CPU wise I'd probably have to look (definitely if it uses the 2 extra cores) for it but I'm very latency sensitive. Once I've worked about half the day and memory pressure is into the yellow, I notice it a lot more. Not to mention that I was having to constantly close things, not all my sites like sleeping tabs, etc.

Last edited:

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Get Max.
512 SSD are way slower than 1TB

Also there is huge performance difference between max and pro.

After

About throttling, even when present faster RAM will lead to better performance.
Tests showed throttle but people experience is that it’s not present. You need to use it extremely intense to lead this.
Also cooling system is really good on it, it’s not single fan but two.
Most of the "feel" from SSD is 4k QD1 performance. There is barely any difference so there shouldn't be a huge SSD difference outside copying data or workflows that need a ton of bandwidth. Although its best to keep what you're doing in RAM as much as possible either way.

Real throttle with Apple is thermal or power targets. There is quite a bit with the Air laptops, less in 14" pro, even less in 16" pro, and not much at all for mini/Studio. In that order, you're getting a faster chip based on which platform you are on. It was much worse with Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.