After 1 day heres what I hate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tgwaste, Apr 25, 2015.

1. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

o Stuff doesn't sync. If i dismiss a message on my watch it doesn't clear it on the phone. i have to dismiss it there too. No surprise here Apple has always sucked at sync.

o Calendar app only shows current month. Cant go back or forward.

o No reminders app. No seriously.. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one. Is it there? Am I holding it wrong?

o No haptic or sound if watch looses connection to phone. May be annoying for some but an option for it would be nice.

o Cant set the background of a watchface to a custom photo. So much for the whole "most personal device" thing.

o Cant play music through the watch speaker. Can only use watch as source with BT headphones.

o No onboard calculator app. I think this is kind of odd. Maybe I'm the one who's odd.

o The Mail app. Oh the mail app.... I can't believe my ONLY options are _1_ inbox or _all_ inboxes. I mean not being able to reply is bad enough but not being able to simply change which inbox I'm looking at? I mean come on meow.

... Having said all that. Loving the watch. :)

2. rickshill macrumors member

App for mail reply

Try the app cloud magic.....it will let you reply to email

3. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

It's a weird device. I'm the kind of guy who loves to play with his new gadgets, and this is a device that isn't meant to be played with. From the battery life, to the lacking features, to the quick sleep time -- it's clear that Apple wants you to barely use it.

And that's fine, it isn't an iPhone. I'm coming to terms with this. It's more of a fashion accessory, and something to quickly check notifications on.

The mail thing is odd, but after messing with it for a few minutes I realized that it's more trouble than it's worth. Screen is too small, etc. At that point it's time to pull out the iPhone. Some (most) tasks just aren't worth doing on the watch :(

4. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

The good news is that your criticisms are mostly software-based so many of those things might be addressed in future updates. :)

5. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

6. sbharj macrumors member

I agree with most of that, hopefully a lot of it gets fixed in the next SW update.

Few things that bother me - the screen switches off about a second quicker than i want it to, would love to be able to customise this.

Also on the medium (standard) brightness setting its actually really hard see in bright sunlight! Would be great of the brightness adjusts based on ambient light (maybe using the sensor on the iPhone?)

Finally, i would like the option to have vibrate off on my phone when the watch is i=on my wrist (so i get notified only using taptic feedback) and then when i take the watch off, vibrate automatically turns on on the iPhone.

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Are you kidding? That's ****ing ridiculous. I get frustrated enough having to open Mail just to clear out notifications; why the hell wouldn't notification statuses sync between the watch and the phone?

Honestly, that by itself is enough to make me reconsider the watch at all.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

Good news is that all of those problems are software related (with the exception of music playing through speaker, I think that's a horrible idea).
    WWDC is just around the corner.

9. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Yep. I have not a single hardware complaint what-so-ever. Its a beautiful piece of tech.

10. gusping macrumors 6502

How is battery a problem? You clearly aren't using it as you're supposed to!

11. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

That's plagiarism man....lol, jk ;)

12. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I think all your complaints/concerns are valid, though none are really bothering me (with the exception of a dedicated Reminders app. Really!?!?).

For me, it's just the occasional stuttering (mostly in the Glances) and the rather poor 3rd party app optimization that I hate. Of course, it's not that big of a deal because these can be addressed with software updates.

13. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

14. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Exactly. May want to re-read what I was saying. If you use it like a phone it'll be dead in hours, muppet. Not sure why you edited that out :p

15. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

Posts like this and others I'm reading, coupled with the shipping times for the watch I wanted, if I was going to get one at all, slipping to August is almost guaranteeing I won't get an Apple Watch. At least this version. Apple is not the same as When Jobs was alive.

16. SR71 macrumors 68000

My Watch has been syncing notifications instantly. Dimissing messges on my watch dismisses them on my phone as well. If I clear all notifications on my Watch, it clears them all on my phone too. Dunno why the OP's watch is having problems with this.

17. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

This statement isn't accurate. I haven't had this issue with the notifications. Whats more, if for whatever reason you miss a notification and you pull down your notification center on the watch, you can force touch it to clear it, thereby clearing it from your phone as well.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I think it works, but in typical Apple fashion for sync/cloud type features not reliably. I've dismissed emails on my iPhone that still show up as "new" on my iPad, for instance. It's the same with this.

19. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

thats a good way to put it.

It's a tough sell for apple, to convince people to pay a lot of money for something that you're supposed to not use a lot.

you're right - thats why they went to the jewelery route.

not convinced though. I went with the SG

20. SR71 macrumors 68000

These problems really aren't as big a deal as they seem and for a first gen product the Watch is incredible and works very well. Also, the complaint about notifications not syncing isn't valid as all my notifications are syncing with no problems.

21. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I agree with a lot of that. Another peeve of mine is that when you put something into reminders using Siri, you still have to touch the watch to confirm it. You should be able to say "confirm".

22. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

+1 to all of this.

23. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Exactly what I was thinking. I actually agree with the OP to an extent.  doesn't have a great track record with sync but I always keep giving them the benefit of the doubt. And I do lose connection to the phone a lot and never get a notification.

My biggest complaint is that it relies too heavily on Bluetooth. I was under the impression the watch would work Bluetooth and/or wifi. I thought I could leave my phone charging in my room and as long as I was on the same wifi network the watch could function but that is not the case so far. It has to be within Bluetooth range. But hopefully updates will fix

----------

Yes. PLEASE

24. shandyman Suspended

With music through the watch speaker, I think that the speaker isn't good enough for that, so they flat out restricted it.

Reminders are done through Siri and linked to your iOS devices.

My notifications seem to clear when I clear them from the notifications pull down on the watch face screen.

They removed the photos watch face, for reasons unknown at this time. My suspicion is that it could just clashed too much and be illegible.

As for calculator, there's no native Apple app, but there's an app coming out that can do that missing feature.

25. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Okay, good. That's a relief. I was seriously beside myself wondering how Apple could have screwed up what seems to be an absolutely essential function of an accessory like this. May as well stick with a Pebble if notification management isn't syncing across devices. Thanks for the feedback.

Mail is a pain, but I understand why it works that way and have learned to live with it. I'd have a much tougher time swallowing that kind of lack of notification unity on a device that is specifically designed to be an accessory for managing notifications. Thanks for sharing your experience.