Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
My biggest complaint is that it relies too heavily on Bluetooth. I was under the impression the watch would work Bluetooth and/or wifi. I thought I could leave my phone charging in my room and as long as I was on the same wifi network the watch could function but that is not the case so far. It has to be within Bluetooth range. But hopefully updates will fix

Yes, I think your understanding is incorrect. You should be able use the watch with the phone if both are on the same wifi network and out of bluetooth range or if bluetooth is off.

Edit: Check out this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1872942/

Last edited:

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
o Stuff doesn't sync. If i dismiss a message on my watch it doesn't clear it on the phone. i have to dismiss it there too. No surprise here Apple has always sucked at sync.

o Calendar app only shows current month. Cant go back or forward.

o No reminders app. No seriously.. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one. Is it there? Am I holding it wrong?

o No haptic or sound if watch looses connection to phone. May be annoying for some but an option for it would be nice.

o Cant set the background of a watchface to a custom photo. So much for the whole "most personal device" thing.

o Cant play music through the watch speaker. Can only use watch as source with BT headphones.

o No onboard calculator app. I think this is kind of odd. Maybe I'm the one who's odd.

o The Mail app. Oh the mail app.... I can't believe my ONLY options are _1_ inbox or _all_ inboxes. I mean not being able to reply is bad enough but not being able to simply change which inbox I'm looking at? I mean come on meow.

... Having said all that. Loving the watch. :)

I swear I was just watching iJustine and she played a song through her watch speaker. Almost certain.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Posts like this and others I'm reading, coupled with the shipping times for the watch I wanted, if I was going to get one at all, slipping to August is almost guaranteeing I won't get an Apple Watch. At least this version. Apple is not the same as When Jobs was alive.

No, because when Jobs was alive, we got Ping and MobileMe....... :rolleyes:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
All notifications have stayed in sync here. What I like even more is the fact that email is pushed from the phone to the watch instead of from the Mail server, meaning that deleting email on my wrist is immediately deleted off my phone. My iPad still has to sync with the server.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
If what OP is saying is true (I believe him, I just haven't received my AW yet) the one that really is amazing is the lack of the reminders app. I can't even understand this one. How can the Apple Watch NOT handle reminders? That's almost like, "it's an Apple Watch, but it doesn't actually display the time."

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
This statement isn't accurate. I haven't had this issue with the notifications. Whats more, if for whatever reason you miss a notification and you pull down your notification center on the watch, you can force touch it to clear it, thereby clearing it from your phone as well.

So I spoke to soon here. They are clearing. But once in a while they are not so its a reliability issue.

Thanks for the force-touch tip in the notification center. Thats a handy way to clear-all :)

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
If what OP is saying is true (I believe him, I just haven't received my AW yet) the one that really is amazing is the lack of the reminders app. I can't even understand this one. How can the Apple Watch NOT handle reminders? That's almost like, "it's an Apple Watch, but it doesn't actually display the time."

Well, you can have Siri set up reminders and the Watch will remind you if you have it set to a specific time. It also pulls your timed reminders from your iPhone. But there's no app, so there's no checklist. I honestly can't believe we have a dedicated Photos app, but not a reminders one.

A checklist on my wrist just makes so much sense and is so convenient and helpful. Although there are 3rd party apps that will remedy this, why Apple didn't include it to begin with completely escapes me.

Reminds me of how Apple refuses to include an actual Weather and Calculator app for the iPads :rolleyes:

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013

It handles them. IE: You'll get reminders on your watch but you can not see a list of them.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
Yes, I think your understanding is incorrect. You should be able use the watch with the phone if both are on the same wifi network and out of bluetooth range or if bluetooth is off.

Edit: Check out this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1872942/

Well, that's nice that the intention is there, however, the connection is unreliable at best. I'm sure it will be ironed out with updates

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As for calculator, there's no native Apple app, but there's an app coming out that can do that missing feature.

That's just silly.

A Calculator built into the watch by default is one of THE most basic things it should have.
Needing a 3rd party app, which means you need you phone on you, just to use a calculator is totally crazy.
It's THE most simple thing to implement on any computer and should be right there built in, God knows why Apple did not put this in.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
So I spoke to soon here. They are clearing. But once in a while they are not so its a reliability issue.

Thanks for the force-touch tip in the notification center. Thats a handy way to clear-all :)

NP. I had the same gripe you had at first....then i discovered the force touch to clear....works every time.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The one thing that drives me nuts is certain things will just stop working requiring a reboot. Last night it was the Weather glance. Today Siri won't activate. I know its a 1.0 release but still annoying.

bgj887

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
Yes the reminders thing is kind of annoying, i feel like i can do most of the things that i want to do on the watch but i rely on reminders for shopping lists, so when i go shopping i still have to pull out the phone, i don't make a big deal of these little things though, the software will be updated soon

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That's just silly.

A Calculator built into the watch by default is one of THE most basic things it should have.
Needing a 3rd party app, which means you need you phone on you, just to use a calculator is totally crazy.
It's THE most simple thing to implement on any computer and should be right there built in, God knows why Apple did not put this in.

That's your opinion. Maybe Apple did not feel the need, knowing that others would do it. They have to leave something for developers to do.

Maybe it'll pop up in an update, if they do do it themselves. Honestly though, I've seen screenshots of one a developer was doing and it was a bit too tiny for my liking. Another developer has tried doing one in the style of the 'Friends' button dial, which was just messed up.

----------

Yes the reminders thing is kind of annoying, i feel like i can do most of the things that i want to do on the watch but i rely on reminders for shopping lists, so when i go shopping i still have to pull out the phone, i don't make a big deal of these little things though, the software will be updated soon

There are some list apps that have watch support. Might be worth looking into those in the mean time.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
No reminders app? That's mind boggling.

I agree. I actually sent an email to Tim about that one couple weeks back when I realized it's missing. I'm sure it'll be added in a future sw update.

In meantime check out OneList. It has a watch app that essentially is a Reminders app. It's free but for 99 cents iap (tip) you get the watch app and ability to do multiple reminders lists. It comes with iPhone widget too.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
while there is no app, you can use siri to create a reminder to push to all of your devices.

"siri, remind me to pay tmobile on 5/4/15."

The use case I think some are thinking of isn't solved by Siri. Siri adds reminders. But no way to check things off a reminder list. Like a daily to do list. Or a shopping list.

My wife and I share a reminders list for groceries. Checking things off via phone is tough. Having the list on the watch and just being able to check them off as we put them in the cart would be a valuable use case to solve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.