After a month with the Apple Watch I don't see the point.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by smartguy510, May 23, 2015.

1. smartguy510 macrumors newbie

Ive been an apple fan boy for all my life. I remember buying my first Mac and thinking "this is the coolest thing ever." I have bought almost all of Apple's devices from the apple TV to the iMac. I upgrade my iPad every year and my phone as well. I actually was the first in line to get my iPhone at my local apple store. (waited 3 days in line) Anyways, my point is, I believe in apple, i love their products and was ecstatic when I pre ordered my watch. I got it on Launch Day and thought "wow, i don't even need my phone anymore" but i soon realized that it only does so much. My apple watch sits on my desk most of the time now and rarely use it. I love the apple pay feature and fitness app but thats about it... It seems like a hassle. My phone is easier to use. I'm still keeping it and hope it grows on me but i doubt it. Not here for hate, just sharing my opinion. Hope you all enjoy your device.

Btw i bought the SS Classic Buckle 42mm.:apple:

2. phirstube macrumors regular

phirstube

It does not replace your phone. It augments your phone usage experience.

3. docprego macrumors 65816

Mine hasn't left my wrist since I received it. To each their own.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

If you are dissatisfied you can return it (but I assume you're outside the return window) or sell it. With all of the :Apple: Watch supply shortages you could probably recoup a large portion of the price.

I think it's an interesting accessory, but not essential in any sense. I also feel it's grossly overpriced. It seems like a $200 and up accessory, not a feature product, but that's just my opinion.

If I had excess funds I'd buy one of the sleek space gray Sport models, but I can't justify the cost now.

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

That's ok. A lot of people don't see the point of a laptop either.

6. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

When have apple products been cheaper than the competition?

7. docprego macrumors 65816

Exactly.

They're not and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm paying more for a superior experience. What's wrong with that?

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

9. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

Not saying that theres anything wrong with that, same here, paying more for a better overall experience. I was just clarifying that apple does not usually price their products similar to the competition.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I didn't say expensive in comparison to another product. I simply think they're too expensive for what you're getting. It's not a computer for work or a phone for communication. It's an accessory.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Most mechanical watches outside the cheaper brands cost at least a few hundred dollars just to tell the time.

Why anyone expects a product made by Apple that is indeed a wrist computing device to cost less than a nice, high-quality (not luxury) mechanical watch is beyond me.

12. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Yeah, this being one point I had after reading the OG post. The main one being though is, that's cool- the Watch is clearly not for everyone. All Apple products "aren't for everyone" due to Android diehards (and same goes the other way), but the Watch, IMO, is even more niche within the Apple fanbase. I absolutely love my Watch and it hasn't left my wrist other than to charge since I got it on April 30th (but I've never at this point in my life owned an iPad). If you aren't able to fit a piece of technology into your life in a beneficial way, it is far from the end of the world. And even farther from the end of the company that made said piece of tech.

And I know the person who made the post that this was in response to already said something, but holy guacamole did you completely miss the point of his post. Like bafflingly so. Like confusingly baffling so. :cool:

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Finally. Someone who dislikes a product but can respect other people's opinions.

I personally love my Apple Watch and everything it does. Getting notifications on my wrist has been awesome. I can sit back and watch a YouTube video and such on the computer and glance at my wrist and start talking and boom text sent. Before I found myself pausing the video so I could type out the text as I couldn't pay attention to the video and type at the same time.

I'm also loving the fitness and activity apps. Trying to fill the rings everyday and get achievements have been a lot of fun for me.

And there are many other things such as sports scores a swipe away with the ESPN glance, getting my heart rate taken every 10 minutes (until 1.0.1 broke that :mad:), weather just a wrist raise away. Ohhh that's a really good one there. Love that. Would take me far to long to list everything I have loved about the watch so I'll stop here ;).

14. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

You did say that it seemed like a $200 product which is the price of some other competitor's smartwatches.

15. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

Here is your "problem". You're so passionate about Apple and their products that it's latest over hyped wonder didn't meet your expectations and experience. It happens. Sorry it doesn't work for you like it does for many others. Keep in mind, it's a watch that does extra things

No hating detected. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

16. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I've been told by a few people that the Apple Watch can't do what the iPhone does and you can do more on the iPhone. Its fair comment and completely true. Even though it true it completely puzzles me why these thoughts are floating around :confused:

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm worried about the obsolescence factor of this product at this price. I don't know what the competition is selling for because I haven't kept up with it and a nice mechanical watch doesn't go out of style or suffer a logic board failure.

18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

19. Mildredop macrumors 68020

In the OP's opinion, clearly it doesn't.

----------

The Apple Watch isn't a watch - it's a wrist-mounted touch-screen computer (that happens to tell the time). It's as much a watch as the iPhone is just a phone.

20. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I reject the grammar of this comment. The iPhone is a phone, and the Apple Watch is a watch. They both have other features suitable to their form and function, but they are first and foremost those respective devices.

21. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I fix ur grammer:

u iz welcome but your post still makes no sense.

"grammar of a comment?" u mean essence?
    "other features" what other features?
    " they are first and foremost those respective devices." what?

22. shenfrey macrumors 68000

If nothing else, it's a watch. And if you don't wear watches in the first place then pre ordering was your first mistake.

23. Mildredop macrumors 68020

What's wrong with my grammar?

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Except for charging, pretty much the same. Very satisfied with my Watch, except the BSB. It's only been a month and it looks like its 5 years old. I already have a green one on order.

Lots of people don't see the point in a desktop either, but I'm typing on this on a Mac Pro that I just used to edit a video! :p

(I concur, just adding an additional point).

25. RoyalGalaDelice macrumors newbie

I sympathise with your viewpoint although my view is the opposite of yours in some respects.
    I don't have a high opinion of Apple computers or iPads and have only bought them for my grandparents because they have struggled to learn how to use a proper computer.
    But I love the iPhone and can't do without my 6 plus and will keep buying them as the newer versions come along. And I knew what I was getting with my watch (I have a 42 mm SS with SS link) and have not been disappointed. I have always worn a watch and have just replaced it with my apple watch. Is it worth the price I paid? Probably not in terms of what it does and what it costs to make. But I and millions of other people have willingly paid for it and so it clearly is not overpriced for the market