Aftermath of iPhone X Launch

serialiphoneuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
Removal of Touch-ID and the intrusion of Face-ID sealed the iPhone X's fate. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
You mean it’s fate as probably the most successful iPhone launched yet?
Emotions are high after pre-orders, but let's be fair, the iPhone X isn't going to fall into that category of best selling iPhone.

To put things into perspective, shipping dates of the iPhone 7 slipped into November within 30 minutes after pre-orders began. We're nearly 24 hours after iPhone X pre-orders began. Ship dates are only 5-6 weeks out.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
The iPhone 6 sales record has not been beaten. Q3 and Q4 2014 is Apple's best all-time performance and no product since then has matched it.
6 had the Plus variant. Combined total.

X could be a slower burner but will be around another 3-4 years in the market.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It apparently sold out in the UK in 10 minutes but that was expected due to short supply.

It’s the first iPhone I can remember where I don’t know a single person who has ordered one. There’s usually some buzz around a new release but saying that I know a few people who got the 8. Maybe price is the major factor rather than its specification? That’s my guess.

stormchasejg

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
East Preston, UK
It apparently sold out in the UK in 10 minutes but that was expected due to short supply.

It’s the first iPhone I can remember where I don’t know a single person who has ordered one. There’s usually some buzz around a new release but saying that I know a few people who got the 8. Maybe price is the major factor rather than its specification? That’s my guess.
In the UK, It went 2-3 weeks delivery within about 6 minutes just after 0806 my order confirmed at 08:07:30 !!!

Apple already said that demand was off the charts in their statement earlier
“We are thrilled to be taking orders for iPhone X, the future of the smartphone. We can see from the initial response, customer demand is off the charts. We're working hard to get this revolutionary new product into the hands of every customer who wants one, as quickly as possible. We will keep accepting orders online, and iPhone X will be available at Apple retail stores on Friday, November 3 starting at 8 a.m., as well as from our carrier and retailer partners around the world.”

Reactions: Dave245

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
In the UK, It went 2-3 weeks delivery within about 6 minutes just after 0806 my order confirmed at 08:07:30 !!!

Apple already said that demand was off the charts in their statement earlier
“We are thrilled to be taking orders for iPhone X, the future of the smartphone. We can see from the initial response, customer demand is off the charts. We're working hard to get this revolutionary new product into the hands of every customer who wants one, as quickly as possible. We will keep accepting orders online, and iPhone X will be available at Apple retail stores on Friday, November 3 starting at 8 a.m., as well as from our carrier and retailer partners around the world.”
Apples statement suggests it’s off the charts but that is in context. This is the first iPhone at this price so there is nothing similar to compare it to. The short supply always meant it would sell out quickly. People shouldn’t fall into the trap of assuming this means it’s suddenly the best selling ever. The price will dictate that this cannot be the case overall because it’s beyond a significant amount of iPhone users reach. It’s a niche product with its own demand and is performing as expected, so far.

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
The iPhone 6 sales record has not been beaten. Q3 and Q4 2014 is Apple's best all-time performance and no product since then has matched it.
6 was a total redesign. iPhone X is the first total redesign since 6.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Removal of Touch-ID and the intrusion of Face-ID sealed the iPhone X's fate. Wouldn't you agree?
No i don't agree even in the slightest! Touch ID was great for the time, i loved it on my iPhone's from the 5S until the iPhone 7 Plus but Apple have found something that is even better, they have taken the time to perfect it over multiple years and i'm sure it will be just as great.

People often complain about Apple's "Lack of innovation" yet when they move forward with something that is innovative people complain, this is nothing new people did exactly the same when Touch ID was first announced.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Oh boy, the plethora of iPhone X hater ignorant posts/threads is incredible. I have only been a member here for 6 months or so, but I would imagine this happens with every new phone annually?

"Biggest Flop", "You really can't afford it", etc. Can the mods create an forum such as "Philosophy and Socioeconomics" and move these crap threads over so we can see the useful stuff?

I personally think these hater posts are from people not getting X (obviously) and trying to make themselves feel better by slamming a product no one has even had in hand. I can't wait until November 3rd, then the posts will be all about the "horrible issues"

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Oh boy, the plethora of iPhone X hater ignorant posts/threads is incredible. I have only been a member here for 6 months or so, but I would imagine this happens with every new phone annually?

"Biggest Flop", "You really can't afford it", etc. Can the mods create an forum such as "Philosophy and Socioeconomics" and move these crap threads over so we can see the useful stuff?

I personally think these hater posts are from people not getting X (obviously) and trying to make themselves feel better by slamming a product no one has even had in hand. I can't wait until November 3rd, then the posts will be all about the "horrible issues"
We do get some negativity at every launch but this is by far the most negative of any previous iPhone release that I know of. It’s the first time I’ve been negative about an iPhone as I’ve loved every one I’ve owned but I can’t defend the price this time around and am happy to be vocal about it. If I don’t like what people say here I simply silence them with the function available. You can tailor your experience this way and read what you want to hear.

Reactions: Furzul