Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beefcake287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Howdy All,

I’ve looked for this specific AirPlay issue in the forums and can’t seem to find a similar situation.

I am trying to play a video from either my iPad or iPhone onto my 4K Apple TV. I am able to mirror both devices, but when I go to play a video from my iPhone the phone and Apple TV goes black followed by the tv returning to the home page. On my phone/iPad a black screen with the play button will appear. If I press the play button again the cycle repeats.

All of my devices are up to date and I’ve tried restarting all devices and my internet.

If I’m missing something please let me know! I appreciate all of the help.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Just a guess, but it could be a problem with your network configuration, perhaps your router is not playing nicely with Airplay?

Beefcake287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for the response @steve23094 . That might be the case. I'm able to airplay video onto another apple tv in the house though, so that makes me think it's just a problem with the specific apple tv. The apple tv giving me problems allows me to mirror off of my iPhone without a problem. It'll play videos as long as I don't open it up in the video player. (if that makes any sense)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
airplay mirroring, and airplay where you see the play screen are really 2 different things

when you see the play screen, it's sending the file directly or possibly sending a web location, and then the aTV downloads.
mirroring is played back on your device, and then converts the screen image, and sends it out.

what are you trying to watch? (website, app, which ones?)
are both aTV the same model? (4 vs 4k)
are they both wired/wireless?
is one significantly further from the base station than the other?

can you try swapping the 2 aTVs and see if the problem stays with the aTV or in the location?

punkdthrice

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2017
I have this issue aswell as Airplay disconnecting all the time! It's because of tvOS 12. Airplay is buggy as hell. I would not use screen mirroring anymore as the new way to airplay is to use control center and tap the Player widget then cast to your ATV.

Apple needs to get their **** together and fix this.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I have this issue aswell as Airplay disconnecting all the time! It's because of tvOS 12. Airplay is buggy as hell. I would not use screen mirroring anymore as the new way to airplay is to use control center and tap the Player widget then cast to your ATV.

Apple needs to get their **** together and fix this.
Can you describe your usecase?
I don’t see AirPlay becoming less useable after tvOS 11 or 12.

punkdthrice

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2017
Can you describe your usecase?
I don’t see AirPlay becoming less useable after tvOS 11 or 12.
It FREQUENTLY disconnects from my iPhone and iPad. I can never make it past 10 minutes of video with my iphone screen off before Airplay disconnects. I have to keep my phone unlocked all the time and it can play a little longer but still disconnects. This is on 100mb 5ghz Wifi. I haven't tried ethernet. Only powerline ports and it's the same issue. tvOS 11.4.1 was the last firmware that had no airplay problems for me.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if that's the speed of your internet connection, 100mb is irrelevant, Airplay never leaves your home network, so never touches the 100mb bandwidth from your provider. That's only used to connect to things outside your home.

5Ghz is faster, but doesn't have the range or penetration power (through walls and furniture) that 2.4 does.
and keep in mind, all connections go through the router, so if your phone and aTV are in the same room, but the router is not, the signal has to go to the other room and back, and goes through the wall twice.

Every time i've had airplay issues, and i've been using it since the AirTunes days 10+ years ago, It's been network related.
try rebooting your router.

What are you using to play video? The video drop out after 10 minutes is most likely related to the app

If you enable screen mirroring, and the app supports sending video, instead of mirroring, that's what it will do.
(if the app supports it, mirroring and selecting a target from the playback widget behave exactly the same)

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
It FREQUENTLY disconnects from my iPhone and iPad. I can never make it past 10 minutes of video with my iphone screen off before Airplay disconnects. I have to keep my phone unlocked all the time and it can play a little longer but still disconnects. This is on 100mb 5ghz Wifi. I haven't tried ethernet. Only powerline ports and it's the same issue. tvOS 11.4.1 was the last firmware that had no airplay problems for me.
What apps are you AirPlaying from?
E.g. I have discovered, that airplaying anything from MB or Messnger app will disconnect as soon as iPhone screen locks.
Does not happen with Safari.
Used to be a problem with YouTube app as well, need to chek, maybe alphabet has fixed their software.
What happens, if you circumvent your wireless access point, and do Peer-to-Peer AirPlay? This way you can test if your wireless infra is the cause.
PS my aTV is wired to network, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.