Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
I have 2 sets of Airpods, 1st gen. My wife was using one pair and me the other.

After a few months of usage, my right airpod started to lose charge (goes dead) after about 30 seconds of use.
A few weeks later, my wife's right airpod started to lose a charge, after about 2 minutes of use.
We did not mix cases or AirPods, as my are marked, so there is no chance of mix up.

Now, I love AirPods, and am very temted to buy the 3rd gen, but am afraid to buy them, as I am worried about the charging problem.
Also, here in Japan, the Airpods (and anything else Apple) are quite pricey, compared to US, so the decision to buy, is even more difficult.

1) Did anyone had a similar problem, like I do? If Yes, how did you deal with it?
2) Are the geniuses able to diagnose the charging case/ earpiece?
(I do not live close to an Apple store, but there is authorised dealer in the next town, I might be able to visit, next month)
3) If any of you had the same problem with 1st gen, but then bought the 2nd, did you experience the same thing happening?

Thanks everyone

- - - - - - "The frenchman strikes again" - - - - - - -

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My first pair of gen 1's had battery issues just before the year was up. I didn't get AppleCare on them, and live a great distance from the local Apple Store. They last, pretty much both buds, less then an hour on a good day. I have gen2's, without AppleCare, and they last about an hour, and a second pair I bought later, with AppleCare and the wireless charging case that last longer.

My problem with one side not charging was with the PowerBeats Pro. It drove me mad for a couple of months. It was usually one side, but occasionally switched sides. Are they able to diagnose the problem? Well, not really. They wanted to send me refurbished replacements for units that weren't very old. I started leaving the case plugged in 24x7, and folding the 'wings' inward, and they started charging much more reliably. I think the case is too small for the wings being out too far, and they nudge the buds off the contacts. Best Buy, Worst Try supposedly can 'service' the Air Pods, but it's basically only for replacements, from what I've heard there is no real 'diagnosis' being done. On the Air Pods, the second gen do seem to last longer, kind of. The wireless charging case makes it easier to keep them charged, so maybe that's half the battle? The gen 1's didn't last too long, IMO.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
My first pair of gen 1's had battery issues just before the year was up. I didn't get AppleCare on them, and live a great distance from the local Apple Store. They last, pretty much both buds, less then an hour on a good day. I have gen2's, without AppleCare, and they last about an hour, and a second pair I bought later, with AppleCare and the wireless charging case that last longer.

My problem with one side not charging was with the PowerBeats Pro. It drove me mad for a couple of months. It was usually one side, but occasionally switched sides. Are they able to diagnose the problem? Well, not really. They wanted to send me refurbished replacements for units that weren't very old. I started leaving the case plugged in 24x7, and folding the 'wings' inward, and they started charging much more reliably. I think the case is too small for the wings being out too far, and they nudge the buds off the contacts. Best Buy, Worst Try supposedly can 'service' the Air Pods, but it's basically only for replacements, from what I've heard there is no real 'diagnosis' being done. On the Air Pods, the second gen do seem to last longer, kind of. The wireless charging case makes it easier to keep them charged, so maybe that's half the battle? The gen 1's didn't last too long, IMO.
Thank you for sharing.
It just gave me some idea to try.

I will try to fiddle with the case a little bit.
It shows charged 100% but, it might be, that it’s just a charge as number, but physically, it not reaching the charging point well. Will clean the case up and try to put something between the case lid and earpiece, to hold it lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.