Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's AirPods are in stock today on Best Buy's website, with a free 2-day shipping option placing the wireless headphones to arrive later this week for customers in the United States. Faster one-day alternatives are available for around $20.

airpods-2-800x436.jpg

Users who purchase on Best Buy's website will also get free in-store setup and advice from Geek Squad.

AirPods have had a six-week shipping estimate on Apple.com since the launch last December, and Apple has yet to give any indication when the headphones might be available sooner for customers.

Update: Best Buy is no longer showing immediate shipping on AirPods. New orders are estimated to ship in approximately two weeks, which is still sooner than Apple's six-week estimate, but may be less certain.

Disclaimer: MacRumors.com is an affiliate partner with Best Buy and may get paid if you click one of the above links and make a purchase.

Article Link: AirPods In Stock Today at Best Buy With Free 2-Day Shipping [Updated]

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I don't get it. Great tech. Poor aesthetics and lack of color options make this a no go.

I know everyone loves them and their pairing and tech are 2nd to none, but they do not look good.

I'll keep my Dash by Bragi for now.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
I don't get it. Great tech. Poor aesthetics and lack of color options make this a no go.

I know everyone loves them and their pairing and tech are 2nd to none, but they do not look good.

I don't care how they look. I can't see them when they're in my ears. I can only hear them, and they sound good. Add that to the convenience of no cords and it's the best headphone purchase I've ever made.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You're right, you don't get it. I'm not concerned with aesthetics or color, All I could ask for is functionality and these deliver. They look exactly the same as the EarPods, except with the wire cut off.

I'm not concerned with what others think when I wear these. I actually forget I even wear these, that's how comfortable they are for me. Apple will eventually expand on the colors. But I understand they are not for everyone.

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
I ordered these from Apple earlier this month, so here's hoping the 6 week backorder gets filled sooner rather than later.

I do wonder why AirPod supply is so constrained after six months. I recall the iFixIt tear down suggested potential manufacturing problems (hence the gobs of glue), so maybe low yields?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
You're right, you don't get it. I'm not concerned with aesthetics or color, All I could ask for is functionality and these deliver. They look exactly the same as the EarPods, except with the wire cut off.

I'm not concerned with what others think when I wear these. I actually forget I even wear these, that's how comfortable they are for me. Apple will eventually expand on the colors. But I understand they are not for everyone.
I don't get what people are looking for regarding AirPod aesthetics:
Shape: Same as many earplugs, but with no wires.
Color: Well... I would have prefer black or Dark Blue.

Everything else it's a lot better than what I expected. Got mine last week from AT&T, using with iPhone SE, iMac, AppleTV and several iPads.

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I suppose I can understand the appeal to the snowflake generation. Hipster beards, skinny jeans. We're not talking about a group of people who cares how they present themselves or have too much good taste.
Apple will expand on the colors of AirPods just like Apple expanded on the colors of EarPods: they have not and will not.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

Aesthetics are entirely subjective; I actually prefer the AirPods to the Dash, and not in a lesser-of-two-evils way. The Dash sticks out away from user's head and looks rotund, while the AirPods have a narrow stalk that runs parallel to the side of the user's head. IMO, the latter is more understated.

bragi-dash-pro-3.gif

Last edited:

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
I love my AirPods, except in noisy places. I can hear all the background noise over my music when I'm on the subway, regardless of how loud the AirPods are.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Apple will expand on the colors of AirPods just like Apple expanded on the colors of EarPods: they have not and will not.
I'll say the opposite. They will add at least black. And I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the colors even more to match each color of the iPhone.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Note Best Buy has been known to be less than honest about their "In Stock" label, where they have taken orders and then notified people a few days later that the item isn't actually in stock and will be shipping later than anticipated, usually with a token $5 coupon.

kegan forbes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
michigan
im surprised it took this long for a national chain to get them in stock when a more local to the midwest us chain has had at least 2 sets in almost every store I've been in for the last few months

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Doesn't look like free 2-day shipping to me... a friend of mine reports seeing the same thing.

View attachment 704012

2017-06-14_9-19-42.jpg

Probably need to be an elite member? I wouldn't count on getting them by the date they promise though...people who ordered the new iPad Pro 10.5" from BB are getting screwed as they are delayed. Same thing happened to me when I bought my iPhone 7...delayed a month from the "promised date".

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Doesn't look like free 2-day shipping to me... a friend of mine reports seeing the same thing.

View attachment 704012
I still see free 2-day shipping on mine, but the exact dates have been fluctuating. Free standard shipping appears to be at least available for most people. The first time I visited the site I had a shipping date of saturday.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 11.22.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 11.22.09 AM.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 148

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
They still can't keep these in stores? It's been several months since I stopped stalking iStockNow for a pair, so I wasn't aware they were still hard to get hold of.

I still use my AirPods every single day. Easily the best purchase I've made thus far this year.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I love my AirPods, except in noisy places. I can hear all the background noise over my music when I'm on the subway, regardless of how loud the AirPods are.
For me that is usually a plus. I don't like complete isolation, whether in the office or running or biking (off-road). But I do admit it would occasionally be nice to have some active noise cancellation. It should be possible, even with the current form factor. (I can't stand anything "in-ear".) Maybe in the next generation.

Reactions: djeeyore25

erikdonohoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Springville, UT
To me there can be only one reason why these remain so backordered. They are planning on shipping them with the new iPhone 8. They need to make sure they have enough supply for that demand. Part of the premium price on the new handset is my guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.