Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I got my airpods on 22nd December, everything working fine up to yesterday. Now only one airpod is shows up on my iPhone screen showing a battery percentage, more so L not showing, open the lid and the case always displays charge percentage on my iPhone screen. Same with audio, sound will only play out of one airpod, again it happens to both but more so the L airpod.

It appears there's something a miss in communicating to my iPhone 6 running iOS 10.2. Paired and upaired. Checked on my Macbook running Sierra and the same issues, only one airpod will play sound at a time, again more so the L not working than the R. Both devices connected to wifi.

In terms of charging all 3: Case, L and R airpods all holding a charge very well, no draining issues to speak of.

Not heard of this being an issue?

dmontopoli

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
I had the exact same problem.

I fixed it by first disconnecting the AirPods from my iPhone ("forget this device" in Settings-Bluetooth), I then reset the AirPods by pressing and holding the Bluetooth setup button on the back of the AirPod case (with the AirPods in the case) until the status light in the case flashed amber a few times and then finally flashed white. I would estimate that it took about 10 seconds until the status light flashed amber. I then reconnected the AirPods to my iPhone and everything worked properly.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK

I fixed it by first disconnecting the AirPods from my iPhone ("forget this device" in Settings-Bluetooth), I then reset the AirPods by pressing and holding the Bluetooth setup button on the back of the AirPod case (with the AirPods in the case) until the status light in the case flashed amber a few times and then finally flashed white. I would estimate that it took about 10 seconds until the status light flashed amber. I then reconnected the AirPods to my iPhone and everything worked properly.

I did similar steps, but it didn't work, then I found on the Apple support site to also reset network settings on the iPhone, then I re-paired. Everything back working ok with all my devices.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

wrxdrunkie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008

This worked for me. Thanks!

shays66

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2018

Thanks for the tip! It worked perfectly!!!
[doublepost=1520185224][/doublepost]Mine were also cutting out with lots of interference - this also solved that problem

mbthebulldog

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2018
[doublepost=1527895434][/doublepost]
I did similar steps, but it didn't work, then I found on the Apple support site to also reset network settings on the iPhone, then I re-paired. Everything back working ok with all my devices.
Worked for me, too! Thanks!

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Had this today. Restarting the phone seemed to fix it. I've also found pairing to be unreliable and odd over the past couple months. Some examples:

-I'll be listening to a podcast and the airpods will just randomly unpair while playing and have to be manually paired again.

-I'll be listening to a podcast, pause for a few minutes keeping the pods in my ears, then push play and the sound just comes out of the speaker, the pods having unpaired on their own. Again, they have to be paired manually.

-I'll open my airpods case and put them in my ears. I'll hear the pairing tone, push play on the phone.. and alas its playing from the phone speaker. I'll look at bluetooth settings, the pods are unpaired. I'll have to pair them manually. Sometimes the first couple attempts are rejected (Connection Unsuccessful) and I'll have to turn Bluetooth off and on again before they'll re-pair with the airpods.

I am also not jumping from device to device when theses things occur. I almost exclusively use the airpods for on the iPhone (X, if that's useful to know).

Payisabuckeye

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2018
I have the X as well and am I experiencing identical problems. Intermittent dropping. Hearing it pair, then not working etc...

Please help me fix!

JackIsNotInTheBox

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018

THANK YOU! IT WORKED!

I didn't even know we could reset the airpod

Alex-Gerrit

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2018
I tried all the steps, unpairing, resetting the network connection and power cycle. Nothing is working.

Sainzz

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019

Excuse me. What if younare using android phone which im using right now my samsung s8. At first week nothing problem then here it comes my L earbud wont connect. Then followed by the R side. I tried all the possible alternatives to fixed this issue but still i get the same result. Could anyone please help me.. it cost me so much to buy this airpods.
Right now i cant used my airpods anymore. Pls help thanks.

Here is my email: saicasainique@yahoo.com

Dylanpearson

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2019
I got my airpods on 22nd December, everything working fine up to yesterday. Now only one airpod is shows up on my iPhone screen showing a battery percentage, more so L not showing, open the lid and the case always displays charge percentage on my iPhone screen. Same with audio, sound will only play out of one airpod, again it happens to both but more so the L airpod.

It appears there's something a miss in communicating to my iPhone 6 running iOS 10.2. Paired and upaired. Checked on my Macbook running Sierra and the same issues, only one airpod will play sound at a time, again more so the L not working than the R. Both devices connected to wifi.

In terms of charging all 3: Case, L and R airpods all holding a charge very well, no draining issues to speak of.

Excuse me. What if younare using android phone which im using right now my samsung s8. At first week nothing problem then here it comes my L earbud wont connect. Then followed by the R side. I tried all the possible alternatives to fixed this issue but still i get the same result. Could anyone please help me.. it cost me so much to buy this airpods.
Right now i cant used my airpods anymore. Pls help thanks.

Here is my email: saicasainique@yahoo.com
My AirPods won’t link amber or white I’ve already forgot my device and connected it and I tried resetting and it’s not working

thinking.dog

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
A lot of good info here...but consistent pairing has proved to be too difficult. Sometimes it works...oftentimes it does not. It gets tiresome resetting everything for any use. Sticking with my Sony cans and printing my return label.

HiIMadeAnAccountForThis

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019

I don’t know how this program works but I found the solution to this problem that worked for me (this also may be old but for people looking at this for help I hope I can)

I had a similar problem where the Bluetooth wasn’t connecting to the left AirPod at all. I tried looking online but I did not find much. Afterwards I tried something that helped me out.

Leave the AirPod that is not connecting in your ear and place the other one inside it’s case. Then, disconnect and reconnect, and your audio should be playing out of the left whilst the right is still in its case (or opposites if the problem is with opposite AirPods). Now take out the right AirPod and it should have connected and audio should now be playing out of both AirPods. Hope this helped and apology’s if this is messy I really don’t know how this works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.