Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While past rumors have indicated the upcoming second-generation AirPods Pro will feature a built-in heart rate and body temperature sensor, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has cast doubt on those rumors turning out to be true, saying instead such a feature is unlikely to come anytime soon.

airpods-pro-2-1.jpeg

"Over the past few months, there have been rumors about this year's model gaining the ability to determine a wearer's heart rate or body temperature. I'm told that neither feature is likely to arrive in the 2022 upgrade," Gurman writes in his latest Power On newsletter. Gurman adds that both features have been explored within Apple and could arrive someday.

Just last month, a rumor from 52Audio said that the AirPods Pro 2 would be able to measure heart rate and body temperature from within the ear. That same report said the AirPods Pro 2 would feature USB-C, an updated H1 chip, and Find My functionality. It remains to be seen if other aspects of the report will turn out to be accurate.

Apple has not given the AirPods Pro any updates since its launch in 2019 other than a new MagSafe charging case last fall. Apple is widely expected to announce a new version of the AirPods Pro later this year, possibly around the time it launches the iPhone 14 and new Apple Watch models this fall.

Article Link: AirPods Pro 2 No Longer Expected to Feature Built-In Heart Rate or Body Temperature Sensor

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Unless it manages to improve battery life by a lot, if there is no new tech features than I think Apple should not release a new version "just because".
Who cares if they haven't got improvements for a few years, they are still great today compared to competition.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Every feature adds cost, and when Apple is selling a hundred million of these it adds up. It’s redundant when they could be selling a complementary Apple Watch instead.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Honestly these devices are so small I don’t want this crap taking up space inside and wasting development time at Apple. If you want those features, get a fitness tracker or Apple Watch.

I’d rather they focus on improving sound quality, battery life, noise cancellation, fit and finish, controls, water resistance, and precise find my integration. None of those things are bad currently but taken together as a whole are a considerable upgrade. AirPods IMO are one of the more underrated Apple products. I put them up there with the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple Silicon in terms of best products of the last 15 years.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Eventually, all wearables will incorporate health tracking and will work in coordination for a more robust experience, we just ain’t there yet

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
While past rumors have indicated the upcoming second-generation AirPods Pro will feature a built-in heart rate and body temperature sensor, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has cast doubt on those rumors turning out to be true, saying instead such a feature is unlikely to come anytime soon.
I rather see better audio and mike specs

bebarhood

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
I am waiting to see how the Pro 2 come out, or I am simply going with the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3

maktaba

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Why would I want to check my temperature and heart rate with my Apple Watch and my Airpods?

Sometimes I feel not much thought is put into the designing of these products.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Apple almost never if really ever put key standout features in multiple products, across multiple product lines.

AirPods and Apple Watch are to very different products with two very different brand identities targeted at two very different consumer demographics.

AirPods are personal audio devices, AW is a health/fitness tracker.

The incentive to buy an Apple Watch would be less obvious if one of its features can be had in AirPods too.

Furthermore, it's pretty clear that all health tracking features are destined for Apple Watch and that all things fitness and health are segmented into Apple Watch and very deliberately omitted from all other product categories.

Apple Watch is a health tracker but Apple products as a whole are not fitness or health tracker oriented.

As long as Apple Watch is supposed to be Apple's health tracker device there will never be health sensors in AirPods.

The rumour was farfetched to begin with. Never happening.

nfl_brah

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
Please just fix the damn mic first. Impossible to have a conversation with anyone unless the person using them is in a completely quiet area with 0 background noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: CK1Czar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.