AirPods Shipments Expected to Double to 60 Million This Year on Strength of AirPods Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipments of Apple's popular AirPods lineup are projected to double to 60 million in 2019, according to Bloomberg. The strong growth is due in part to "much higher" early demand for AirPods Pro than Apple had expected.

The $249 AirPods Pro -- which offer noise cancellation and water resistance -- have surpassed expectations and demand for them is pushing Apple's assembly partners against capacity and technical constraints, a person familiar with the matter said. Multiple suppliers are competing for the business of manufacturing the Pro earphones, though some are still building up the technical proficiency.
After a ramp-up in popularity of the original AirPods, which debuted in late 2016, Apple has released two updates to the lineup this year, with second-generation AirPods in March and the new AirPods Pro just a few weeks ago.

Apple Watch and AirPods are the two cornerstones of Apple's push into wearables so far, and both have seen strong growth over the past few years. AirPods are the market leader in true wireless earphones, which are proving popular with consumers. While there are some competitors like Sony and Google already in the market, the launch of Microsoft's Surface Earbuds has been pushed back until at least March.

Article Link: AirPods Shipments Expected to Double to 60 Million This Year on Strength of AirPods Pro

Reactions: GlenK and CountBoni

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Quite in line with this article.

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2019/11/19/airpods-are-becoming-a-platform

“AirPods will turn out to be one of the more strategically important hardware products Apple has released this decade. However, you would never know it judging from the way Apple unveiled the device last week. I suspect that was intentional. While the press remains focused on the short-term debate surrounding the iPhone's lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack, few have realized that Apple just unveiled its second wearables platform.”
I do believe that with the AirPods, Apple is well on its way to own the wireless headphones market. While the detractors will dismiss it as overpriced for the sound quality, they once again (predictably) miss the big picture.

This is a runaway train that would be pretty difficult to stop or even slow.

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
How's the sound good mids and lows wondering if they are as good as my Sony mx1000 buds
Apple should consider incorporating an EQ control built-into iOS for AirPods, that would really set it apart as it can be used with any app including Files app to play music. Without adjusting the EQ the preset default bass is on the light side. I tried it out with apps that do support user defined EQ for bass and it works well.

confessJason

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Consumer Reports rank the Samsung earbuds significantly higher on quality and they are significantly more affordable. Choose wisely.

fmcshan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2019
New Hampshire
AirPods Pro are great and I'm loving the improved sound quality and Active Noise Cancellation/Transparency modes. Keep it up Apple!

Edit: The sound quality is close to the best I’ve experienced on any wireless earbud. Sometimes I feel that the Sony wf-1000xm3’s hit the highs and lows a bit better, but it is really close.

Last edited:

chicagofan00

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Really starting to like my AirPod Pros. At first I wasn’t a fan but then swapped out the interchangeable ear piece for one of the other sizes and they are perfect now.

Reactions: G5isAlive

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Nice but want a corded version of AirPods Pro...EarPods Pro?
but I don’t think they will make those right?
- - Post merged: - -

They are indeed fantastic. However they need a reasonable battery replacement price.
I think they do some sort of exchange for that - I’m guessing you just want a lower price? It’s the same wish for every product to have a lower price I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
How can Apple have underestimated demand for these? They are exactly the type of thing everyone with an iPhone is going to want for Christmas.
AirPods don’t look like the easiest product to manufacture and assemble. Could be that Apple is already churning them out as quickly as they can and still can’t make enough to meet demand in the short term.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Consumer Reports rank the Samsung earbuds significantly higher on quality and they are significantly more affordable. Choose wisely.
do those Samsung’s magically pair up to Apple TV? Work perfectly with “Find My”? Wise choice is to get the ones made by the guys who make your iPhone I think. But if other brands sound better, or are cheaper, then let the chips fall where they may. Competition is good. But the “wise” choice is something we all decide as individuals

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Quite in line with this article.

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2019/11/19/airpods-are-becoming-a-platform

I do believe that with the AirPods, Apple is well on its way to own the wireless headphones market. While the detractors will dismiss it as overpriced for the sound quality, they once again (predictably) miss the big picture.

This is a runaway train that would be pretty difficult to stop or even slow.
iPad sales were like a runaway train when initially released. Then sales eventually derailed. Hopefully AirPods don’t witness the same fate.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
AirPods don’t look like the easiest product to manufacture and assemble. Could be that Apple is already churning them out as quickly as they can and still can’t make enough to meet demand in the short term.
That is exactly why. Tim Cook said so on the quarterly earnings phone call. He said they were making them as fast as they can.
- - Post merged: - -

iPad sales were like a runaway train when initially released. Then sales eventually derailed. Hopefully AirPods don’t witness the same fate.
Nonsense. Over many years you’ll have some sales numbers curve to look at of course. But what you are saying is mainly negativity for what? Just to spin some negativity?

Last edited: