Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipping estimates for Apple's AirPods have improved to two to three weeks in many countries around the world, suggesting Apple is one step closer to achieving supply/demand balance for the much-desired earphones.

airpodstwotothreeweeks-1.jpg

Since the AirPods launched in December, stock has been in short supply. For many weeks, AirPods shipping estimates were at six weeks, but stock improved enough in early August that shipping estimates dropped to four weeks.

At the new 2 to 3 week estimate, customers can expect to receive AirPods ordered today in early September.

During Apple's third quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said AirPods capacity had been bumped up and that the company was "working very hard" to get AirPods to customers as quickly as possible.

While Apple's own stock has been in flux online, Apple retail stores have occasionally received stock and third-party retailers like Best Buy have been able to offer AirPods with quicker shipping on a regular basis.

Priced at $159, the wire-free AirPods have become a popular accessory largely due to Apple's W1 chip, which significantly improves the Bluetooth connection and facilitates simple and quick transfers between different devices. The AirPods are also equipped with infrared sensors to detect when they're in the ear, and they support touch-based gestures to activate Siri and perform other tasks.

Article Link: AirPods Shipping Estimates Improve to 2 to 3 Weeks

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I hope mine ship soon. I ordered them 1.5 weeks ago; it's still showing an estimate of another 3-4 weeks before they are delivered.

Or, maybe Apple is releasing updated AirPods and I'll end up with those. I wouldn't complain.

HenryFSU

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Orlando, FL

Shipping estimates for Apple's AirPods have improved to two to three weeks in many countries around the world, suggesting Apple is one step closer to achieving supply/demand balance for the much-desired earphones.

airpodstwotothreeweeks-800x513.jpg

Since the AirPods launched in December, stock has been in short supply. For many weeks, AirPods shipping estimates were at six weeks, but stock improved enough in early August that shipping estimates dropped to four weeks.

At the new 2 to 3 week estimate, customers can expect to receive AirPods ordered today in early September.

During Apple's third quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said AirPods capacity had been bumped up and that the company was "working very hard" to get AirPods to customers as quickly as possible.

While Apple's own stock has been in flux online, Apple retail stores have occasionally received stock and third-party retailers like Best Buy have been able to offer AirPods with quicker shipping on a regular basis.

Priced at $159, the wire-free AirPods have become a popular accessory largely due to Apple's W1 chip, which significantly improves the Bluetooth connection and facilitates simple and quick transfers between different devices. The AirPods are also equipped with infrared sensors to detect when they're in the ear, and they support touch-based gestures to activate Siri and perform other tasks.

Article Link: AirPods Shipping Estimates Improve to 2 to 3 Weeks
[doublepost=1503348512][/doublepost]Target has them avail online , ships next day

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I like earbuds (not in ear ones), but Airpods are too steep for me. I've only come across a couple very cheap bluetooth earbuds on Amazon. If anyones got recommendations, let me know. I don't mind if they are connected by a wire either.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Oh good just in time - it's only been almost a year since they were announced

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Apple.. finally, letting up on the *created shortage* ;)

Do really like mine, and the BB near me got a crap load in stock (B&M) and they all sold in about 2 days.. Well played Tim!!

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I bought a pair off the shelf in an Apple Store in Melbourne a week ago, and seen them in stock plenty of places there and back home in Auckland since. Seems they are catching up with demand in this part of the world at least.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
If you ask me, products that cannot ship in masses to satisfy demand are hardly ready to market. It can happen once or twice, but should not be part of the overall strategy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hope they drop the price next month with the iPhone 8. I have a pair and love them, but if Apple wants to push them mainstream I think $99 is a magic number.

There wouldn't be any logical reason for Apple to do this. They want to absorb as much profit as possible with the Airpods, especially given the demand and popularity. I imagine the only time we will see a discount is through third party retailers or a promotional discount.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
There wouldn't be any logical reason for Apple to do this. They want to absorb as much profit as possible with the Airpods, especially given the demand and popularity. I imagine the only time we will see a discount is through third party retailers or a promotional discount.

Also, I'm not sure Apple would make any profit at $99. I know that will be poo-pooed by many, but there's actually a fair amount of technology in the AirPods and case.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Also, I'm not sure Apple would make any profit at $99. I know that will be poo-pooed by many, but there's actually a fair amount of technology in the AirPods and case.

And I believe a $169.00 price tag is not an unfair asking price in my opinion. The battery life, seamless technology with the W1 chip and pairing, decent audio quality and they are well made. Other competitors are significantly more expensive than the Airpods.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm still a wired headphone guy, but I did buy a pair, using them 90% of the time for hands-free calls. They're pretty decent for phone calls, almost as nice as my Plantronics Edge UC (which has wideband audio) but with the option for hearing with both ears.

I'm here posting because I don't understand the wait that some put up with. I bought two pairs of AirPods - walked into a VZW store and bought one pair for my GF for $159, and bought the second pair from VZW online for the same price with free 2-day delivery. BB online has them in stock for the same $159, free delivery while two B&M stores in Portland that I bought product from had them in stock that day (last week). Why wait? Check that, don't answer that question…

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hope they drop the price next month with the iPhone 8. I have a pair and love them, but if Apple wants to push them mainstream I think $99 is a magic number.

But this is Apple. Mass-market/lowest price has never been their strategy. It's not the number of unit sold that counts, it's the profit margin and gross revenues. Mac: 10% of the PC market, 80-90% of the profits. iPhone is quite similar.

Plus, they're having absolutely no problem selling all they can make at the current price. They may not yet be value-priced to your taste, but compared to the competition, AirPods are already value-priced.

Now, if you're talking about finding a price level, for any Bluetooth headphone, that will tip the mass market from wired to wireless... $99 may still be too high. The price-sensitive are still going to compare the price of wireless to wired, and choose wired every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.