Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is closing in on its aim to achieve supply/demand balance for its AirPods, with the popular earphones now shipping from the online Apple Store in just three to five business days in the United States, Canada, U.K., Australia, and several other countries around the world.

According to Apple's U.S. website, AirPods ordered today will be delivered between October 4 and October 6, while U.K. customers ordering today are being quoted delivery dates between October 3 and October 5. These are the best estimates Apple has offered since the AirPods launched in December 2016.

Screen-Shot-1-7-800x521.jpg

AirPods have been in extremely short supply since they became available for purchase, with a typical wait time of six weeks from order to delivery. Only in August did stock begin steadily improving, with shipping estimates dropping to four weeks and then two to three weeks. Earlier this month, estimates improved to one to two weeks, before hitting three to five business days today.

During Apple's third quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple had boosted AirPods production capacity and was "working very hard" to get AirPods to customers as quickly as possible.

Occasionally, Apple retail stores have received stock and third-party retailers like Best Buy have been able to offer AirPods with faster shipping on a regular basis, but those stocks have usually run out fast.

Costing $159, Apple's "truly wireless" AirPods have gained popularity due to their long battery life, capacious charge case, infrared sensors that detect when they're being worn, touch-based gestures, and a built-in W1 chip that improves Bluetooth connection. AirPods are also relatively inexpensive compared to rival "truly wireless" earbuds that have launched in recent months.

Article Link: AirPods Shipping Estimates Improve to 3 to 5 Business Days

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, but when will they begin to ship with the wireless charging case? That’s why we actually care about.

Disagree. The majority of AirPods owners care about using lightning to charge the AirPods. You have to remember, the Airpower is a stationary device and will be more applicable for at home or at the office. Where the AirPods, are highly more portable and most will have access to a lightning cable and outlet for a quick charge.

Plus, you have to factor in the charging case is going to cost an additional $69 and then the Air power will likely cost somewhere around $130-$200. UnLess someone has an Apple Watch Series 3 or iPhone 8/iPhone X, that's an expensive accessory to want to charge the AirPods.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
just an FYI - local target I was in yesterday had 4 pairs sitting in the case. Check if you really want them ASAP.

Reactions: kmm1482

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
congrats apple, it only took you 9 months to reach this point (I'm not counting the months it took to even release the product). Just in time for the NEW wireless case to come out.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I really love the earpods design but £159 for a wireless version. No thanks.

I bought a pair of Beats X and they suck (although 11.0.1 may have fixed some pairing issues). Sound quality is average and none of the ear plugs fit my ears! Earpods fit perfect but no isolation/noise cancellation. Same for airpods, so pretty pointless commuting.

Using a pair of Shure SE215 for now. Love the convenience of the Beats X though but they don't work as flawlessly as Apple would promote!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Plus, you have to factor in the charging case is going to cost an additional $69 and then the Air power will likely cost somewhere around $130-$200.
Except of course that you use an Xi charging mat which can be had for much cheaper. Plus it's rather more likely that all AirPods might come with the wireless charging case anyway once that case is ready. Do you think Apple would force people that want to wireless charing case to buy two cases (one non-wireless-charging coming with the AirPods + the wireless-charging one)?

Reactions: Sunny1990

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
I really love the fit and ideas behind the airpods. I just hate having to deal with the case. I wish their was wired option like PowerBeats only for the AirPods. Powerbeats hurts my ears.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA

I bought a pair of Beats X and they suck (although 11.0.1 may have fixed some pairing issues). Sound quality is average and none of the ear plugs fit my ears! Earpods fit perfect but no isolation/noise cancellation. Same for airpods, so pretty pointless commuting.

Using a pair of Shure SE215 for now. Love the convenience of the Beats X though but they don't work as flawlessly as Apple would promote!

I use my AirPods on the train and in planes all the time. It doesnt have noise cancelling or isolation but its definitely good enough where I dont carry a second set of earphones.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

I have a pair of BeatsX and never had pairing issues. I use them most of the time with my iPhone but sometimes I connected them to the Mac.
What problems did you experience?
The standard ear plugs fit my ears pretty well, but everyone is different so they may not work for you. I bought them for noise isolation and that's the main reason why I didn't go for the AirPods, they can fit my ears but they would be useless during my daily commute

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
In stock at B&H! Free shipping and no tax unless you live in NY or NJ. I ordered a set on Monday and they were delivered on Tuesday. These AirPods are great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.