Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPods are sold out and unavailable for purchase in many Apple retail stores across Europe and in Apple's online stores in those countries, as noticed by French site Watch Generation.

It's not clear when the AirPods went out of stock, but the earphones are listed as unavailable in countries that include the UK, Ireland, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Finland, Sweden, and others.

airpodsuksoldout-800x517.jpg

AirPods continue to be available for purchase in other countries in North America, South America, and Asia Pacific, with the shortage primarily limited to Europe.

There's no word on why AirPods are suddenly unavailable in so many European countries, but Watch Generation claims that a retail source said French Apple Stores sold out of a recent shipment and are awaiting the restock of a new version that could perhaps be next-generation AirPods.

airpodsoutofstocklondon-800x678.jpg

Given that the AirPods are unavailable only in Europe, there could be another explanation related to tariffs or currency adjustments, so the shortage is not a clear sign of an imminent refresh.

Apple is rumored to be working on second-generation AirPods with an improved wireless chip that will enable "Hey Siri" functionality, alleviating the need to activate Siri through a double tap on the earphones.

These updated AirPods could also include a wireless charging case that will allow them to work with the AirPower charging mat that continues to be in development, but there is no word on when these rumored AirPods (or the AirPower charging mat) might launch.

Update: AirPods are once again in stock on the Apple online store in many European countries, with retail locations set to have the earphones available for purchase on Friday, October 19.

Article Link: Apple's AirPods Out of Stock in Many European Countries [Update: Back in Stock]

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
I really hope the addition of "Hey Siri" and the wireless case are not the only additions/improvements...

svenning

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Los Angeles
Had this idea that they would annonce airpods/iPads in conjuction with the opening of XR pre-orders. Or Tuesday/Wednesday next week so they could also boast about the amount of xr preorders. Either way, gimme AirPods 2 now plz

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Many Apple Stores in the U.S. didn't have walk-in stock available for AirPods for about the first year they were for sale. Also, they were consistently backordered for shipment on Apple's website. Meanwhile, many third party retailers had them in stock consistently within three to four months after they were released in December 2016. Oh well...Apple seemed to have plentiful stock on hand for most of this year, anyway. I hope it doesn't take them a year to have enough stock of the second-gen AirPods.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I'm so anxious waiting Apple to announce the October event and with every day passing by I'm losing hope, it's already getting late.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Since they'd be coming from China (where everything electronic appears to be made) I doubt there's tariff's holding them back. Although I wouldn't put it past Apple making sure they got as many into the U.S. before the Administration's tariffs kicked in on this (the last one I think would have covered these).

My guess would be they're transitioning to this model (due to be released with the new iPad's etc. shortly since we often see a squeeze of things like that before transition), hopefully we'll see AirPower get released:

>> These updated AirPods could also include a wireless charging case that will allow them to work with the AirPower charging mat that continues to be in development<<

Reactions: bentgate

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
BT5 and wireless charging. But Timmy would probably raise the price if wireless charging is included. He probably just sell the case with wireless charging separate so that he can make more money in that case. My opinion is just based on the trend how Apple priced their product new feature, new product, higher price.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Here's to hoping that means version two is on the way. I know Apple products tend to hold their value, but I was still expecting a little bit more of a dip in price over the previous two years. A quick Google search makes it obvious why that hasn't happened; you can either buy alternatives that are the same in price and lack features like conical mics, painless iOS pairing and transitioning, auto pause, and simple taps to navigate.

OR there are the under $40 options that definitely work, but they're basically repackaged bluetooth headsets from ~2007. Regardless of which you choose, they usually come in a bulbous package with a little nib that you stuff in your ear. I might be int the minority, but I actually prefer the streamlined look of the AirPods:

Bragi Dash Compared to AirPods.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: max.ine

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I saw someone wearing airpods on the bus this morning - first time I’ve seen them in months..
Whereas a dozen or so people on the bus every day are wearing over-the-ear style wireless headphones.. JBL, Bose, Sennheiser, and occasionally Beats.

Wireless is clearly the future, but these little earphone thingies just don’t deliver the musicality, or the sound isolation. (Or the noise reduction that increasing numbers of new headphones support..)

Reactions: decypher44

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Bring on the new AirPods! I put my AirPods through the wash about 6 months ago and I've somehow been able to hold off buying a replacement pair, because the new version is always right around the corner.....

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
What else do you want. BT5? Longer battery life?
That stuff would be nice, but mainly an upgrade in sound quality. I know they are not supposed to be "audiophile" quality but some new audio technology that produces better, more dynamic sound would be nice. I just want a better reason to upgrade than "Hey Siri"....some new innovation to be excited about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.