Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm very curious what long term demand will be for this particular model.

Reviewers (who got it free) are praising them. People who ride the hype train are paying double on eBay. And the initial group of super fans (myself included) just seem to love anything Fromm apple. But for the general public then they may feel alienated by the price or just uninterested.

I do like mine but I'm already ready for 2.0 where more controls are offered either with physical buttons on the case or touch control on the earpiece themselves. Because right now Siri just isn't cutting it.

Reactions: trifid

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
It is a sensible price in the headphone economic landscape. You meant to say sell them for a price 'you' can afford

They are overpriced, all wireless headphones are. It isn't just the Apple headphones.

Most of us could probably "afford" to pay that much for headphones. That's not it, Apple realizes there are ppl gullible enough to over pay for their product accessories, just so they can flaunt it around to everyone they know. It is a status symbol to many. And yes I know some ppl are willing to pay for quality also. But I believe it is mainly for vanity purposes.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
that should really help with those quality control issues :)

What price would you deem "sensible" and exactly which competing products with the same features are you comparing it to in order to come to that price? "Give me things I want cheap" isn't an argument.

how about much better audio quality, much better battery life and sweat proof for the same price? I actually prefer the cable

http://www.jaybirdsport.com/shop/freedom-product/

or

https://earin.com/

or

https://www.bragi.com/thedash/

Kanoa

or

Samsung Gear IconX

https://dailytekk.com/the-7-best-truly-wireless-earbuds/?reading=continue

Last edited:

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
my AirPods skip when playing music or podcast, i wonder if someone has the same issue
I have the issue rarely. It's like a 0.5s computerized glitch sound. I have mostly noticed it when my phone is under load, like when opening an app. It rarely happens when Pandora is playing and the screen is off.

Reactions: NNJ

Simonrb

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
I took my AirPods back - I bought two sets together on the 19th December for my wife and I on xmas day. I noticed the battery drain on mine all day on the 25th so I googled and nothing, then a couple of days ago info started to surface with people having the same issues...

Fast forward to this morning and I changed my AirPods and refunded my wifes (They fall out of her ears). I have just charged them and I am hoping these are better. When I spoke to the Apple Rep he seemed to think the 24 hours of battery time is standby time. I said so you expect everyone to charge their AirPods every night and he said yes.. I said its 24 hours listening time not standby time yet everyone in the shop agreed with each other and made out I had got it all wrong.. Go figure! They did finally allow me to change the AirPods though. Talk about poor training!

Reactions: indiekiduk

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Nah, someone needs to pay for their fancy campus they are building. And it sure isn't going to be Apple! lol

Apple's work. That's what pays for the campus. They create products, sell them to people, generate profits, build stuff, create more products and so on. They are not taking the money from you, you are willingly giving it to them and in return buying their product. So yes, it is their money.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I wasn't planning to get a pair, but after using them for 30 minutes or so, I want some. :( They're surprisingly good.
[doublepost=1483106811][/doublepost]
It is a sensible price in the headphone economic landscape. You meant to say sell them for a price 'you' can afford
Ouch. Lmao.

upload_2016-12-30_9-6-44.png

Reactions: nighthawk67

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I ordered about 2-3 hours after they were announced available. The initial ship date was Jan 12. Instead, they shipped and were received Dec 28.

I like them.

No battery case issues here.

Reactions: jquebedeaux

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'd love to get a clear picture of the sales figures.
I think at this point, Apple is done giving sales figures for all their products. The expectations were probably hurting their company. For ex: they sale 3 million v1 Airpods, then v2 comes out and they only sale 2.9 million. Que the doom day music and people saying Apple is done. Plus, it keep competitors on their toes.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Love mine. No battery drain issues for me. Whoever was in charge of this product should be promoted. This really reminds me of the Jobs era Apple.

Reactions: jquebedeaux

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
They are overpriced, all wireless headphones are. It isn't just the Apple headphones.
Overpriced as in 'huge profit margins'? As in 'they could sell it at a third of the price and would still make a profit'?

I think what you mean is 'still too expensive'. But you simply cannot help it and reflexively attribute everything negative (priced at a multiple of wired earbuds) to 'lower motives' (overpriced aka overcharging aka huge profit margin).

In fact, most posts on the internet complaining about something fall into that trap of attributing everything 'bad' to 'lower motives' because they represent unfiltered human instinct. Human instinct has changed very little on an evolutionary basis from what it was before advanced civilisation emerged. Civilisation is adding filters to that human instinct but the internet has in many places removed such filters.

Cyrax

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
I hate to be "that guy", but didn't Apple see the buzz for these things? They were always going to be enormous. I wanted to get a pair for my wife for her birthday, got delayed. Wanted to get it for her for Christmas, but I didn't order them within the first 15 minutes of availability so that was done. Now I am hoping for Valentine's Day. Thanks Tim.

MplsP

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Well, just because other manufacturers sell overpriced headphones and you can find people to buy them doesn't mean the price is sensible - it just means you can sell them at that price. I would agree that while the wireless features are nice, they are too expensive for what are generally agreed to be average-quality headphones. If they are selling well, Apple has little incentive to drop the price.

Again, there is a lot of new tech and design incorporated in these, so anyone buying them is essentially an early adopter and is paying for the development of that tech. If Apple does license the W1 chip as they have said, we can expect more devices from competitors and more selection in terms of price, color, features, fit, etc.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Overpriced? I sold 8 of them for around 3k before xmas and netted around 2k. Nope, just have to be smart and hope every launch is this easy to take advantage of.

As far as demand goes, it was right before the holidays on a product meant to mitigate the loss of headphone jack on newest iphone. Combine that with the fact this is perhaps Apple's coolest product of the year and all (probably since the first apple watch).

Reactions: pommie82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.