Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple continues to mention its unreleased wireless charging mat AirPower in recent job listings in the United States and New Zealand.

airpoweriphone8.jpg

The openings range from student co-op positions to hardware engineers on Apple's Wireless Power Technology team in its hometown of Cupertino, California as well as Auckland, New Zealand, where wireless charging company PowerbyProxi remains based following its acquisition by Apple in October 2017.

airpower-job-listing.jpg

The job description for the openings, posted between late October and early December, each refer to the AirPower a single time:
The mission of the Wireless Power Technology team - Build the world's best Wireless Charging user-experience by inventing state-of-the-art technologies. The Wireless Power Technology team develops bleeding-edge Wireless Charging designs that are central to Apple's products - the iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, AirPower and more.
Apple first previewed the AirPower at its September 2017 event. At the time, the company's marketing chief Phil Schiller said the accessory was coming in 2018, as did a few Apple press releases.

Apple Newsroom:
Apple gave a sneak peek of AirPower, an Apple-designed wireless charging accessory coming in 2018, which offers a generous active charging area that will allow iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X customers to simultaneously charge up to three devices, including Apple Watch Series 3 and a new optional wireless charging case for AirPods.
At this point, it's not entirely clear if Apple still plans to release the AirPower, which has reportedly faced technical challenges. Apple has not commented on the AirPower for many months, and there are just three weeks remaining for the company to deliver on its promise of releasing the accessory in 2018.

Following its September 2018 event, though, Apple removed all but a few references to the AirPower from its website.

Apple's recent job listings could be an indication that the company is still developing the AirPower, or they could be a simple oversight. There are also AirPower references in the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR user guides.

In late October, in a research note obtained by MacRumors, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo wrote that "Apple may launch new AirPods and AirPower in late 4Q18 or early 1Q19," without providing further details. If accurate, then the AirPower is alive and well and could be released within the next few months.

The delayed or canceled release of the AirPower is believed to be the reason why Apple has yet to release its optional wireless charging case for AirPods, which is listed as "currently unavailable" on Apple's website. Like the AirPower, Kuo expects the wireless case to be released by early 2019.

Article Link: Apple Still Mentioning AirPower in Job Listings

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
It's a pretty significant oversight to still have an unreleased product LITERALLY over a year after it was announced. Hopefully this will make Apple only announce products when they're actually ready in the future.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is not the "wireless charging" future that anybody asked for. What happened to the idea that we'd have a little hub device sitting on the coffee table, and any device being used within 6 feet of it - essentially anything on the couch or a chair by that table - would wirelessly receiving power?

Wasn't this thing shown off at CES? Didn't they also show off a version where the transmitter could be built into the iMac, and wirelessly charge your keyboard, mouse, phone, etc?

Where did that go? I was really interested in that. That could be a killer feature for the HomePod, and justify its high price relative to the Echo or Google Home.

This thing is just dumb. This is put something as attractive as a clean diaper on your table and when you cram your devices on it, they'll charge.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The wireless charging case for AirPods would make sense to release alongside AirPower, and the fact Apple hasn't updated the AirPods still leaves the door open for an AirPower launch.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is not the "wireless charging" future that anybody asked for. What happened to the idea that we'd have a little hub device sitting on the coffee table, and any device being used within 6 feet of it - essentially anything on the couch or a chair by that table - would wirelessly receiving power?

Wasn't this thing shown off at CES? Didn't they also show off a version where the transmitter could be built into the iMac, and wirelessly charge your keyboard, mouse, phone, etc?

Where did that go? I was really interested in that. That could be a killer feature for the HomePod, and justify its high price relative to the Echo or Google Home.

This thing is just dumb. This is put something as attractive as a clean diaper on your table and when you cram your devices on it, they'll charge.
You're referencing Energous and their Watt Up technology. Don't hold your breath. They were blowing smoke from the beginning.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010

Can you provide more information about the device you mentioned? I'm curious!

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

Your idea of the wireless future is absolutely fantastic. It isn't realistic at this point in time though. This kind of wireless charging is the next best thing though. I always thought wireless charging was a complete gimmick until I got it. I never plug my phone in anymore. It is convenient to just throw it on the wireless mat at work or before bed and especially in the car.

AirPower will likely be really nice when it comes out, but I doubt its cost will be worth it.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Do I need to remind everyone that there are still 3 weeks left in 2018? So, Apple technically hasn't failed to deliver on this yet, despite the FUD I see everywhere.

Reactions: dtrj787

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Do I need to remind everyone that there are still 3 weeks left in 2018? So, Apple technically hasn't failed to deliver on this yet, despite the FUD I see everywhere.
3 weeks to go on the calendar, let's safely say the last week of the year is effectively out of the commercial release plan - I'm not going to mention that corporations typically don't bother to release products after Thanksgiving in the US as it's too late in the Xmas holiday game plan.

So 14 days to go and counting, good thing they're looking for an engineer now, s/he may have just enough time to step in the office before the year is over. ;)

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Our job listings still mention Windows 7 and we haven't deployed that in a year - we're a business of 10,000 people, soit's not just "Pam in HR"

Suffice it to say, HR doesn't always update the descriptions as needed.

Reactions: dabotsonline

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
Apple won't take the lightning (or USB-C if you believe any of those rumors) port off of the iPhone until AirPower is released and they want to take that port off of the iPhone so bad. So you've got to think they are working hard on this wireless charging technology. Remember that AirPods were announced alongside the iPhone 7 which did not have the 3.5mm headphone jack.

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
That's 3 separate zones. That's not what AirPower is trying to accomplish. AirPower is trying to be a zoneless pad... place device anywhere.

So this is another example of Apple knowing of something that we need that we don't know about :rolleyes:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Was not aware about that - so how many units does Apples charger support?
Up to 3 afaik, but the distinction - placing the device anywhere - is different from the 3 zoned pads (like Ikea's) that have existed for a couple of years. With 3 zones, there's no signal crossing. Apple is trying to create one big zone, and that's where they're reportedly having issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.