Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
$29.00 USD each Airtag (and cheaper with the 4 pack) to help you find your wallet or keys if you lose or misplace them? Both which are very important items. You think that's a lot of money and need something else free included? SMH.
The competition already adds holes to their trackers so you can clip them onto something. This was an obvious method of forcing Airtag accessories to sell, and Apple deserves the criticism for that.

Henry S

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Since I can't attach it to my keychain without a holder, I guess I'll wait to buy it until a holder I want is actually available to order.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Hopefully they don’t scratch too easily.
MKBHD had a review on them and said he had them for a few days or so and it was scratched up already but that was a given as these things will get bumped and tossed around, unless they come out with tempered glass shield for them LOL

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
There is always Chipolo that uses the same network as AirTags for someone that wants something different but they aren't selling until June.
And that doesn't answer the question. That's only one month later than the Airtags shipping date. If this company offers better then people shouldn't buying the Airtags. Because it's silly to complain about a keychain loop not being built in if other companies offer it and are better, right? Just buy those.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
They will, that’s already been established. Some say it doesn’t matter but I disagree. Apple seem to have a particular expertise at making things that scratch easily. Pity.

As long as they work well, I could not care less if they scratch over time.

I'm not showing them off to other people or worrying about resale value five years from now. They're not an iPhone.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Apple likes to keep their fat margins. If Apple included something, not everyone would like it and then they would complain abut that. Much easier to buy what you want.
You’re not wrong. :D Apple could be giving them away for free and there’d be a sizable contingent wondering why, “if they’re making so much money, can’t they PAY folks to take them instead of just giving them away? Just ANOTHER example of how Apple has lost it’s way and I’m old enough to remember when they handed out Apple II’s from the back of an 18-wheeler! And to think, if they just did [this list of things o’ mine] they could be more successful than only the most valuable company in the world.”

“Oh, and they need to replace the board. No idea with who, just not these folks.”

Reactions: SuperCachetes

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Well that's my issue here. If Apple's product offers a better service (UWB) then comparing them to the competition because of a keychain hole is a bit silly. I would be personally using them for both my keys and my wallet but there are many others that will stick them in their purse, their carry bags and won't need a keychain hole. I'm not saying the Airtags don't need a keychain hole but some people here comparing them to the competition for that reason should just buy the competition because in typical MR fashion people like to criticize Apple's products against the competition but conveniently leave out the benefits in order to justify their criticism.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I wish the emoji engraving was a little more open - say the key, backpack and car emojis would’ve been nice to indicate where it’s for. Not sure the usefulness of putting a cow or a heart on a tracking tag.
I ordered two. One for my car key and the other for my wife's car key. I went ahead and did the engraving since it was free. I put the "Space Invader" emoji on mine and for my wife's I selected one of the wink emojis that she uses frequently in texts. I'm not sure of the usefulness either. I did the engraving for the fun of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.