Alarm Clock w/ Lightning Connector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

My 20 yr old, $10 alarm clock died:(. I'm debating on getting something that will charge my iPhone. Any suggestions for something that will charge an iPhone 5? Maybe one that does an iPhone 5 and an ipad mini?

Is there such a thing as an alarm clock that will sync with your iPhone for alarms? It would be cool if I could plug in my iPhone and the alarm clock reads the calendar and activates alarms based on your iPhone calendar. Or better yet just syncs with bt automatically. I know you can just use the phones alarm, but I like having a clock instead.

If I go this route, I'd want something certified for the lightning cable/charger too.

2. Giuly, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks, I'll check them out.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

I have the Phillips. Stay away from it as it's a bit flakey, especially the alarm. I have an alarm set up on my iphone. When the alarm goes off, sometimes it will be through the phone speaker and sometimes through the speaker on the Phillips along with the iphone. It does charge it with no problem. And if you have a case, it better be thin or completely open on the bottom, or it wont work.

Curious, why is the i-Blason listed as an 8 pin instead of 9 pin?

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks. I like the style of the I-Blason better anyway.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The ninth pin is ground on the metal casing of the plug.

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Do you actually own one? If so, how is it? I've been waiting for a dock with a clock and this one looks pretty decent. Wondering if it will work ok with my Switcheasy Tones.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered the i-blason and received it yesterday. It looks like a really nice clock/docking station, but unfortunately I'm going to have to return it because it is not case-friendly.

I tried it with both my Switcheasy Tones and my Magpul Field Case and both cases are apparently too thick to allow the phone to charge while docked on the i-blason. Unless your phone is naked or you use a case that is completely open on the bottom, I would say that this is not going to work for you.

There may be some superslim case with bottom protection that will work but if such a case exists, I certainly don't know about it and I'm still not sure that it will work with this dock. Such a shame too because I was really looking forward to finally having an alarm clock with a dock again.

It's so frustrating that these accessories are taking so long to come out. Guess I'm going to have to wait and see what ihome and others come up with. Someone has to make something that works with cases.

9. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks, I dont use a case. But for now I just bought a cheap alarm clock, will wait and see what comes out for the iPhone 5 in the future.

10. votnet macrumors newbie

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Page not found. But they did say something about releasing one in March.

12. jayrflow macrumors 6502

I agree that it's frustrating these accessories are taking forever to come out. Apple switching from the 30 pin to the lightning must be a bit hard on manufacturers of these accessories. One thing that I never quite got. Why do people complain about certain stuff not being case friendly? Like a car dock or an alarm clock? I mean I don't mind taking the case off of my phone to plug it into a dock. It's takes me a maximum of 30 seconds to take off an otterbox defender. Unless they're those aluminum bumper frames that you need to unscrew to take the case out then I don't mind. But everyone has their preferences. I just never understood why some accessories that are not case friendly were deal breakers to some people

13. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Just clicked, seems available now.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm the exact opposite - I never want to have to take my case off to do anything. I would find it extremely inconvenient to have to take my case off every time I want to dock my phone (not to mention that the more times you take off the case, the more of a chance you have to damage the phone and/or the case). To each his own, but I'm definitely going to keep looking for a case-friendly dock. Hopefully the ihome will fit the bill.

15. Vesian macrumors member

Having to constantly take your case on and off again to dock/charge your phone can get pretty annoying, especially if you do it every day. For me, I find that the more I take a case on/off, the more wear and tear it accrues and eventually breaks due to the repetition. That alone makes me sigh in these situations.

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

17. pprior macrumors 65816

How hard can it be to make a freaking change in the connector? These companies make millions and they can't get a lightning based unit out now almost a year after the iphone 5 became available??

I need to buy one of these things, we have other iLife units and they've been great, but I'm not buying a 30 pin unit when everything going forward will require an adapter.

18. Giuly, Apr 7, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Another alarm clock popped up recently, the Gear4 Halo 3 alarm clock, which is an 'App-enhanced alarm clock for iPhone 5 and iPod'.
    [​IMG]

19. Giuly, Apr 20, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

20. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I recently got the iHome iDL45 and so far I'm happy. But I do have to remove my case before I dock it.
    Are there any cases out there that will work with these types of docks?
    It seems to me that, maybe, if the bottom were more open it should dock just fine.
    Currently I have on the Incipio Frequency.

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I was afraid that might be the case with the ihome. I had the same problem with the iblason so I'm thinking that most of these docks will not work if you use a case unless the case is open on the bottom. I'm not really a fan of cases with open bottoms though, so I'm really hoping one of these docks will work with a case. Still waiting to hear feedback on the other ones mentioned in this thread.

22. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Yeah, I agree. But wouldn't it be nice to choose a dock based on features and sound quality and not have to worry about that?

23. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Absolutely! My requirements for a dock are very miminal though. I basically just need it to charge my phone without having to remove my case and I need it to have a clock - that's basically it. The other stuff (speakers, etc.) isn't that important to me but I do understand that people have different needs. It seems like this lightning connector is proving to be problematic to accessory makers because the selection of accessories is very limited.

24. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I don't have a case on my phone, just a clear skin. What's one of the best docks out there right now for the money? Or even the cheapest dock but as long as its decent..?