Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Who's ready for Season Five to begin? I am!

The season premiere is this coming Thursday (September 29) at 8pm (7pm central).

Episode title: "Prophet Five"

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Doctor Q said:

The season premiere is this coming Thursday (September 29) at 8pm (7pm central).

my tivo is hungry...

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
'course it's on the same time as Survivor (which i happen to like for some reason).

my tivo can only record one of those so i guess i'm just going to have to take advantage of the $150 rebate and get another one!!! :D

i thought last season sucked, and was glad for Lost, but i'm excited for this season, but only because of the last scene in s.4

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I didn't think much of the first half of S4, but I liked the later episodes, even though they did get ridiculous (a city full of zombies) :eek:

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Nermal said:
I didn't think much of the first half of S4, but I liked the later episodes, even though they did get ridiculous (a city full of zombies) :eek:

I agree - and I hope we get to see Lena Olin again. Also, even though it would be sort of far fetched, I hope Elena Derevko isn't dead - I want to see all three of the sisters (Irina, Katya, Elena) in a scene together!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:

My wife is very excited about the premiere. She didn't get into "Survivor" for that very reason.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
For anyone home during the day or tivo/dvr-ers tnt is showing alias reruns during the day.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Whats Alias about? Easy enough to get into at Season 5, or will I need to get dvd boxsets if I want to have a go..? :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You could start here for the list of main characters, but it's not totally up to date.

You could try to learn all the inter-relationships among the characters, or you could start with a simple summary:
The show is about a group of spies, many of them related to Sydney (her's is a dysfunctional family), where each character trusts very few of the other characters. Sydney's group works for the U.S. government. The allegiance of the bad guys is never clear. You can distinguish the good guys from bad guys by which show a conscience, although for some it's a bit ambiguous.

Jennifer Garner's character, Sydney Bristow, is the star, of course. Her father Jack Bristow, mother Irina Derevko, and boyfriend Michael Vaughn might love her but you're never quite sure who is about to double-cross her, or appear to double-cross her but then have a good explanation why they were really on her side. Her boss Arvin Sloane has always been a bad guy suspected of having a good motive now and then.​
The confusing plots and occasionally revealed family secrets are part of the fun.

If you want to watch previous seasons, it should be for the fun of it, not because you are trying to prepare for this season.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Doctor Q said:
You could start here for the list of main characters, but it's not totally up to date.

You could try to learn all the inter-relationships among the characters, or you could start with a simple summary:
The show is about a group of spies, many of them related to Sydney (her's is a dysfunctional family), where each character trusts very few of the other characters. Sydney's group works for the U.S. government. The allegiance of the bad guys is never clear. You can distinguish the good guys from bad guys by which show a conscience, although for some it's a bit ambiguous.

Jennifer Garner's character, Sydney Bristow, is the star, of course. Her father Jack Bristow, mother Irina Derevko, and boyfriend Michael Vaughn might love her but you're never quite sure who is about to double-cross her, or appear to double-cross her but then have a good explanation why they were really on her side. Her boss Arvin Sloane has always been a bad guy suspected of having a good motive now and then.​
The confusing plots and occasionally revealed family secrets are part of the fun.

If you want to watch previous seasons, it should be for the fun of it, not because you are trying to prepare for this season.

Sounds cool. :) I think I will try a couple of episodes, and see what I think. If its too complicated, I may bail out. ;) Thanks for the post.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
XIII said:
Sounds cool. :) I think I will try a couple of episodes, and see what I think. If its too complicated, I may bail out. ;) Thanks for the post.

Another option, if you don't want to watch four seasons worth of DVDs, is to check out the episode summaries on the webpage: http://abc.go.com/primetime/alias/missions/episode1.html - they're actually pretty decent, and will give you some sense of what's going on.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Ok. I'll watch, and see if its necessary. If there are loads of references to events I dont know about.. then... Ya. :) Thanks.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Doctor Q said:

Hang on though... she is pregnant in real life?!?!
And I remember reading somewhere she didn't want to try and hide that... but if she isn't doing all the ops / stunts / flash little sexy outfits...
mmmm I wonder what they will do?

I can't wait! I do love this show.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I thought the last series lost it. Big time. Those last episodes were (IMO) caricatures of what the series used to be. And the cliffhanger felt a little on the desparate side to me.... still I'll see how series five starts and take it from there.....

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
DJY said:
Hang on though... she is pregnant in real life?!?!
Yes. I happened to be watching last night when, on the Tonite Show, she accidentally let it slip that the baby is a girl.

At least it looked accidental. You can't tell with Sydney. She's a clever spy, so she might be making it look like an accidental slip of the tongue to keep you from knowing that the baby is really a boy and is in fact the son of David Anders, who plays Sark on Alias.

Hmmm... hold on. Perhaps I'm confusing the actors and their characters! :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, my wife and I also saw Jennifer Garner on the "Tonight Show" she is avery cute pregnant young lady. It was so refreshing seeing. A very open, honest and fun loving young lady.

It's getting very exciting, almost time for the return of "Alias."

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Just finished watching the opener. I'll hold back a more substantial comment until after our west coast friends have seen it, but I liked it. Could prove interesting this season.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
powermac666 said:
Just finished watching the opener. I'll hold back a more substantial comment until after our west coast friends have seen it, but I liked it. Could prove interesting this season.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't mind at all if you start discussing an episode when you finish watching it. I know better than to read this thread (or the "Lost" thread) for 3 hours before i get to watch the show, and I think a "buyer beware" rule (don't read the thread on show night if you don't want spoilers) would be fine so that you guys east of me can discuss the show while the clues are still swirling around in your brain.

Tonite I noticed the clever way they photographed Jennifer Garner so that you didn't see her midsection. The early scenes were above-the-waist closeups. In the dressed-up scene at the party, she was holding a shawl casually, but exactly in front of her abdomen so she wouldn't "show" on the show too soon. :)

Vaughn's secret: Very sneaky. We knew Vaughn wasn't Vaughn's name from last year's cliffhanger, but we didn't know that he didn't know that Vaughn wasn't his name until recently. That new blonde bad guy, err, gal broke Marshall's 64-bit encryption by finding the decryption keys; will she be a regular anti-Marshall counterpart in future episodes?

That "having a baby-gerrrrrronimo" scene was a little silly, but I'll forgive J.J. He's just getting warmed up.

Victor Garber is a great actor for a spy show. He's now in the 5th season without ever cracking a smile. I've seen him in other shows and he really can show emotion, but when a stoneface is called for, he's the man for the job!

And we have to get Arvin out so he can cause more trouble.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
At times I wish the show did not have that "music video" ending where there is a select piece of slow music that plays during the last 10 or so minutes while the characters mingle around looking sad or such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.