All 2017 iPhones to Come in Only Three Colors, Launch Simultaneously in September

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's upcoming 2017 iPhones, including the "iPhone 8," the iPhone 7s, and the iPhone 7s Plus, will be available in just three colors -- black, silver, and gold -- according to a new investor note shared today by respectable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo previously said the iPhone 8 would be available in a limited number of colors, but made no mention of its two companion devices. His three color list seemingly matches up with an iPhone 8 dummy model leak that we saw earlier this week, but one of the dummy model shades displayed was more of a copper than a gold, so it's not clear if it's an accurate depiction of the colors we can expect.

If Apple does plan on introducing the iPhone in just three hues this year, we won't be seeing rose gold or the multiple shades of black that were available in the iPhone 7.

[​IMG]

According to Kuo, all three iPhone models expected in 2017 will also support fast charging, but he warns that consumers may need to purchase a Type-C power adapter to enable faster charging. The current iPad Pro has a similar feature -- it uses the MacBook's $49 29W USB-C power adapter for fast charging.

Kuo now believes Apple will begin production verification tests on the iPhone 8 in late August, leading to mass production in mid-September, which is earlier than Kuo's previous estimates that suggested mass production might not begin until the middle of October.

With mass production starting earlier, Kuo expects Apple will announce all three iPhone models simultaneously in September, with plans to launch them all on the same date. The OLED version will be in short supply, though, with Kuo forecasting shipments of 2-4 million units in the third quarter.
    Though a September launch is expected, supplies of the iPhone 8 may be constrained until the first quarter of 2018 due to an expected high demand. Still, Kuo's latest prediction is a rosier outlook than we've seen in the past, as some former rumors suggested Apple could potentially announce the iPhone 8 and then delay its launch until October or November.

Article Link: All 2017 iPhones to Come in Only Three Colors, Launch Simultaneously in September

2. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

3. RCS31 macrumors regular

4. profets macrumors 68040

Starting to sound like the rear of these phones will all be similar (glass back, same selection of colours) and less than a 7s/7s Plus & 'Pro' model.

Naming will be very interesting to see.

5. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I agree that the dummy color isn’t accurate, it’ll be more of a champagne gold than a copper gold.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I was kinda hoping for red, but I'll settle for matte black if that's an option.

7. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Why wait for production to start to late? Apple should have started back in July

8. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

9. Sunny1990, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Great choice, other colors are getting old and booring. The new one looks nice. [Copper Gold]

Edit :- i wish apple launch this color, "Ceramic White" like Apple watch.

3D38BA4F-DA4E-4FBA-A865-9BE50D27D1F0.png

10. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Gold, silver and black... sounds familiar

[​IMG]

Will blue and light purple come to the 8s? Yes Apple was first with these colors, but the glass back and these colors is familiar with the S8

11. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

It's a pretty fashionable color. It'll sell well I'm sure.

12. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

13. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Something tells me this launch is going to be a hot mess.

14. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

I currently have a gold iPhone which is quite lovely. That mockup, if accurate, isn't gold - it's copper (and hideous).

A $1 trillion company can only make these colors? Really?

15. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Gold silver and black has been the colours they offered every year.

16. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Because production starts so late which I don't understand but it's psychological hype to make you want it more.

17. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

I need some exciting news about Apple Watch. It looks like it will look the same externally. That's why there is no leak.

18. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

I don’t care about the back, what will the fronts look like on the silver and gold? Bezelless enough that it won’t have a ‘white’ front?

19. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Given the design runors about the 4.7 and 5.5" iPhones, I think they'll name it the iPhone 8.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The 7/7+'s Jet Black was clearing the guinea pig of the new finish we'll see on the new iPhone(s) across all colors.

Therefore, it makes sense we won't have 2 black options this year. It does seem odd they're axing rose gold altogether, though?

21. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Don't believe a word of it.... so many contradicting constantly changing rumours and leaks from ALL SOURCES this year, personally I think Apple has been very very very careful and controlled leaks and rumours on purpose and we will not know the truth until next month.

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.

Yeah it sounds familiar because these are the colors Apple has been using for years? And samsung copied apple's color pallet...

Seems odd for apple to be reducing from 6 colors to 3. I guess they are wanting to reduce complexity with SKU/manufacturing? Especially with apple releasing 3 models at once for the first time

23. terrywfoster macrumors regular

So, if I wait a year I can buy a Red one lol

24. Manzzle macrumors regular

Manzzle

I don't think you can have matte anything with glass on top of it.

25. Relentless Power, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

What metric do you use to justify colors that are old and boring? It's a color on an iPhone, not a car or house. I understand that Apple refreshes their color lineup typically on an annual basis, but what defines a color getting old and boring? It Seems all their iPhone colors are sold or used one way the other based on what someone appreciates.