Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Please - Apple has been first for all of this stuff, in the past.

All of Samsung is Copysung.

Gold, silver and black... sounds familiar

s8-colors.png

Will blue and light purple come to the 8s? Yes Apple was first with these colors, but the glass back and these colors is familiar with the S8

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I doubt they change the gold color and silver instead of dark grey? That would be surprising.

suprakc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
Utah
What's up with this "3 different models" nonsense? There will most likely be 1 model, derived from the screen size of the + and the frame form of the flagship, only slightly larger to accommodate edge-edge screen. And the concept of stainless bezels or glass back is ridiculous. Countless hours of design went in to the 7000 series unibody aluminum, which is not only astronomically lighter and more durable than stainless / glass, but astronomically more economical in terms of manufacturing materials, anodization, and recycling. Chinese speculators - do a really good job at confusing the market with conflicting ideas and retrogression.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
According to 9to5Mac he's got a 51/49% right/wrong. I wouldn’t call that a near perfect record.

You should refer to his track record retrospectively

By this point prior to an apple conference (1-2 months out) he's pretty much 99% correct
[doublepost=1502302584][/doublepost]
Am I the only one loosing hope and interest for iPhone? I was expecting so much of the new iPhone and well... no fingerprint sensor, not a lot of colors, price way up, no fast chqrging without adding more money,... Apple is becoming as every other company: a cash machine with no care for customers anymore. That's how I feel at least since last mbp, iphone7,... At least I am excited about the homePod, which is just a copy of the competition but whatever, it'll be great. Maybe.

on this site you're probably in the minority. On other sites you'd be among the majority. People are free to feel how they want. Don't let other people's opinions on an Internet forum sway your own feelings.

Myself I'm looking forward to this new iPhone but can completely understand where people who share your opinion are coming from

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Other colors coming in March 2018.
Yes!
I am sure there will be a jet white option, with a black bezel a few months later.
I guess they' ll all have a black bezel.
The white front has too many visible holes for sensors, etc.

I guess there will be third party glass backs in different colors on ebay.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Yes!
I am sure there will be a jet white option, with a black bezel a few months later.
I guess they' ll all have a black bezel.
The white front has too many visible holes for sensors, etc.

I guess there will be third party glass backs in different colors on ebay.
There are just as many cutouts on my red 7+. I've preached against the white bezel for years, but it looks way more elegant, in my opinion. I don't see how making the bezel smaller would change that, but stranger things have happened I suppose. I'm putting money on an all white with the white bezel to be launched "soon". I remember waiting to get the white iPhone 4 after the black model launched.

stygs

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
I'm waiting for the next red one.

I would've bought the 7 in red but they released it mid-cycle... For the folks who upgrade on release that doesn't really work... I was hoping they'd launch with a red one this time... But perhaps they won't... Sad day.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Given this matrix $ 649, $ 769 -I think $ 969 its a 'fair' price for the OLED phone - while I can afford it, I have no interest in helping Apple with their supply and margin issues - so the 7S its looking mighty good at this time.

You won't drive demand down enough if you price them at $969. So you will have customers unable to buy simply for supply issues and this might last for many months if production capacity of 2 to 4 million a month is to be believed. Better for Apple if customers just buy the 7S because it looks like a better deal (and it likely will be) and this phone becomes something closer to what the Mac Pro is. In other words, yes we would all like a Mac Pro (I'm talking about back when it was updated regularly) and a great monitor, but we bought cheaper Macs because they were more than good enough and we didn't want to spend the money on a Mac Pro.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Apple should also make the following models:

-Stainless steel, grey/gunmetal sides with white front, and back, and with black front and back, to “honor” the iphone 4.

Together with a space black stainless steel with black front and back, and an entirely white version(like the Apple Watch Edition) , and gold and rose gold sides with white glass back(and rose/gold apple logo on the back).

But my guess is: the 3 rumored colors at launch: bluish gold, silver, and black), and in march new colors, as the yields improve. Perhaps even a more expensive ceramic(white) limited edition/version. I think the glass/stainless steal designs of this year , is just a conversion to another material, and apple will eventually go to ceramic and return to a unibody style design again.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
There's no AppleWatch "Pro" ("Edition" doesn't count as "Pro").

Yes, but the watch is in a different category imo like the Apple TV. There are not real computing devices like the MacBook Pro, iMac Pro and iPad Pro. The iPhone fits this category. The watch is still after nearly 28 months is still a novelty product really. For watch enthusiasts these digital smartwatches while never replace mechanical luxury Swiss watches. I bought a 42mm Series 1 back in February to give it a shot for fun. I got it for $229 from Best Buy after they price matched Target. I've worn it maybe 3 times since then. My GMT Master II BLNR takes up all of my wrist time. Even though I like the convenience of having certain information on my wrist: exchange rates, NYT, Twitter, iMessage, e-mails and Apple Pay, I would always rather have a real watch on my wrist. The date and GMT complications are practical for every day use as well as flying. There's something special about analog chronometers that have a beat in contrast to a disposable, soulless SoC. To me it's the difference between a vacuum tube guitar amplifier compared to a solid-state or digital modeling amp.

Yes, quartz and especially GPS time offers incredible accuracy that is superior to any mechanical watch which at their best will do anywhere from (-2/+2) seconds a day at best with cheaper COSC certified watches falling within (-4/+6). In my experience as long as my watches are running they are just a second fast since they will gain +2 with normal wear, but lose a second or two overnight when I place them crown facing up. So basically the modern mechanical movements especially from Rolex, Patek and Audemars are just extroardinary with longer service intervals than required in the past. They will also still work as long as they are maintained regularly while any smartwatch has a finite life. I don't see any Apple Watch lasting more than 4-5 years before they become too slow and obsolete that a battery service is just not worth it.

Sorry for going off on a watch rant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.