Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I don’t know why this myth keeps on getting perpetuated. It is simply not true.

I do hope it dies now. Quite frankly if it were true, then what would that mean for this new one being released, less real RAM for the 1tb option ??

Procreate developers seemed to suggest the full 6gb wasn’t available though, and it was used for OS specific tasks like multitasking. It will be interesting to see whether that changes with these new models or if it stays the same. I expect it will probably stay the same. If it doesn’t, and it’s still restricted on the 1tb 2018 model, it will be quite odd having a very similar device (same chip practically) having a unique RAM setup compared to these new models.

Hi everyone! Our engineers tested the 1TB iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd gen, and it turns out that Apple has allocated this extra RAM to things like iOS Multitasking, so that the devices run faster and smoother when you're using more apps. If an iPad comes out where there is more RAM allocated for the app developers, then we should be able to offer more layers and larger canvases.

• Love
Reactions: XD_Goulart

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Paying for the latest phone camera tech on an iPad just makes no sense to me.

6GB still isn’t enough IMO. My 10.5 IPP constantly reloads tabs in Safari.

thats iOS or iPadOS has nothing to do with RAM. I have 4 tabs open insafari on my iOS 8 (256GB storage) 2 of which are macrumors forums and even if this is the only app running it still refreshes.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Yet 4GB very much kept up to 16GB Samsung phones in ram management tests so clearly it doesn’t need much at all while android clearly does
No it didn't, most of the time it failed to keep as many apps opened in RAM and this taking in consideration that in almost every test the 16GB S20 Ultra wasn't anywhere near it's actual limit.
Actually iOS most of the time doesn't keep apps opened in RAM, it just saves their last state and compresses the hell out of them.

Of course Android OS needs more RAM(is has more features and capabilities especially in terms of background processes and services) but let's not act like in order to run well it actually needs 16GB or 12GB or that a 4GB iphones are anywhere near the level of how many apps Android phones with 12GB or 16G and even 8GB of RAM can hold.
In my experience the 4GB on iphones is comparable with a well optimized 6GB Android phones.

Like I've said, at least 8GB on a tablet that should be able to replace a laptop would have been nice, especially in terms of multitasking and future proofing.
6GB is at the edge, it's fine now but I'm sure it won't be great in the near future for productivity and laptop type usage.

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
With the iPad Pro being stuck in the A12, iPad Air will not get the A13 (with 4GB of RAM) this year as I was hoping for.
Apple will not get my money this year on a new iPad.

• Disagree

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
With the iPad Pro being stuck in the A12, iPad Air will not get the A13 (with 4GB of RAM) this year as I was hoping for.
Apple will not get my money this year on a new iPad.
My guess is this model was aimed at new customers on the fence at taking the plunge as it was kept at around the the same price with a few more features and more RAM and memory.
If there is another model in the fall, my guess is that it will be a completely different beast as rumors point to a mini led panel.
If I had to make a really really wild guess, it would be a high end model that supports both Mac and iPad apps. a “Mac Pad” that can be used as either a an iPad or a Mac depending on use case with the same magic keyboard, just much higher specs to run Mac apps.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Android devices have much more advanced OS that let the users run multiple apps comfortably just like on a desktop. Samsung's DeX is an example. That said, most of this RAM is used by the apps not by OS. What we have is that the apps on Samsung phones have more memory in their disposal than the apps on iPad Pros which are supposed to be used for productivity.

much more powerful OS?

Samsung Dex went from a way to connect to external KB, Mouse and mOnitor to hosting a fulldesktop OS (Ubuntu Linux) in 3yrs then just went backwards to basically being ChromeOS. Going backwards in features doesn’t really help the rebuttal this is a better OS.

notice on all the press release of the Galazy S20 that Dex is barely mentioned as a primary feature? That says a lot about their confidence that many of their buyers are using it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
If the 6GB of RAM and 8 for the GPU can be used by Procreate, Artrage etc. then great. I hope this solves the touch irresponsiveness issue.

If you want the latest and greatest, you have to pay the price.
If you want it immediately, generally yes. One 3rd party seller has pre-order sales on the iPP and the MBA already.

Or just wait for other retailers to offer sales.

If in the States, Best Buy and other retailers (Amazon, Microcenter) routinely offered the 3rd gen iPPs on sale, and they price match if the iPPs are not on sale too.

Apple will price match up to 10% off at their stores too (just have the competitors web page open and ask nicely).

Given the current situation, sales will eventually happen.

And, yes, this "magic" keyboard is overpriced. That said, it's nice to see a possible Surface Studio-like floating hinge on this "magic" keyboard (which puts the iPP magic keyboard price sort of inline with Kensington's Surface Pro-Surface Studio-like hinge dock). My biggest complaint about the iPP separate keyboards; they were not comfortable to type on for me, and I wound up using mine as a draft table to bring the 2nd gen iPP closer to me while drawing.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
much more powerful OS?

Samsung Dex went from a way to connect to external KB, Mouse and mOnitor to hosting a fulldesktop OS (Ubuntu Linux) in 3yrs then just went backwards to basically being ChromeOS. Going backwards in features doesn’t really help the rebuttal this is a better OS.

notice on all the press release of the Galazy S20 that Dex is barely mentioned as a primary feature? That says a lot about their confidence that many of their buyers are using it.

Doesn't change the fact that iPadOS is gimped as an OS compared to the competition.

Linux/Windows/MacOS > ChromeOS/DeX > Android > iPadOS

My iPad even isn't as good for consumption since it lacks things like VP9 codec for YouTube so limited to 1080p.

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
If I had to make a really really wild guess, it would be a high end model that supports a dual OS. a “Mac Pad” that can be used as either a an iPad or a Mac with the same magic keyboard, just much higher specs to run Mac apps.
The business model of the iPad for Apple is to release year by year just minor incremental improvements on both hardware and OS, to make people spend money several times for years.

Why would Apple make a huge improvement to the iPad in just one step, releasing a "Mac Pad" this year, if Apple can make people spend 5 times the money releasing several incremental generations until we get there?

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Doesn't change the fact that iPadOS is gimped as an OS compared to the competition.

My iPad even isn't as good for consumption since it lacks things like VP9 codec for YouTube so limited to 1080p.
Why would anyone want to use Android for desktops? If I wanted a cheap desktop option there are plenty of inexpensive Windows options that are far more useful, Android and chrome are the last things I would impose on anybody working on a desktop.

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
My guess is this model was aimed at new customers on the fence at taking the plunge as it was kept at around the the same price with a few more features and more RAM and memory.
If there is another model in the fall, my guess is that it will be a completely different beast as rumors point to a mini led panel.
If I had to make a really really wild guess, it would be a high end model that supports both Mac and iPad apps. a “Mac Pad” that can be used as either a an iPad or a Mac depending on use case with the same magic keyboard, just much higher specs to run Mac apps.
“If I had to make a really really wild guess, it would be a high end model that supports a dual OS. a “Mac Pad” that can be used as either a an iPad or a Mac with the same magic keyboard, just much higher specs to run Mac apps.”

IOW, a real iPad Pro.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
“If I had to make a really really wild guess, it would be a high end model that supports a dual OS. a “Mac Pad” that can be used as either a an iPad or a Mac with the same magic keyboard, just much higher specs to run Mac apps.”

IOW, a real iPad Pro.
Except without reinventing the wheel. Perhaps able to seamlessly switch between touch and desktop apps depending on task involved. An Arm Mac that’s able to run native iPad apps.
A testbed for Arm Mac apps with the complete iPad library of apps so that there is a huge number of apps on day one.

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
No. The iPadOS hardware actually need more than 6GB RAM to deliver a real computing experience for productivity application like excel, pages that consist large quantity of chart and interactive demo. 8GB RAM can narrowly mitigate the problem from crashing & restarting when returning to your background app and Apple is not being honest by advertising as a replacement for your computer.

Yes, all one has to do is make up a contrived computing situation, find that some device can't do it to your satisfaction, and then you get to call out the device manufacturer for dishonest advertising. :rolleyes:

mzs.112000

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Now, I bet that with 6GB of RAM now coming to all iPad Pro models, instead of just the sub-1TB ones, this means that iPhone will be getting 6GB of RAM this year. And the 5G iPad Pro(2021?) will get 8GB of RAM.

We won't know exactly what changes Apple has made to the A12X to get the A12Z until later when someone does a benchmark and/or a teardown. Personally, I bet Apple has increased the max clock rate(A12X was 2.49GHz on the big cores. A12Z could be 2.7 or 2.8GHz), likely also added more cache. It's also possible that Apple is using a tri-cluster, so they'd have 4 big cores, 2 medium cores, then 2 little cores. The A12Z medium cores would have performance somewhere between the A12X big cores and small cores.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Now, I bet that with 6GB of RAM now coming to all iPad Pro models, instead of just the sub-1TB ones, this means that iPhone will be getting 6GB of RAM this year. And the 5G iPad Pro(2021?) will get 8GB of RAM.

We won't know exactly what changes Apple has made to the A12X to get the A12Z until later when someone does a benchmark and/or a teardown. Personally, I bet Apple has increased the max clock rate(A12X was 2.49GHz on the big cores. A12Z could be 2.7 or 2.8GHz), likely also added more cache. It's also possible that Apple is using a tri-cluster, so they'd have 4 big cores, 2 medium cores, then 2 little cores. The A12Z medium cores would have performance somewhere between the A12X big cores and small cores.
Antutu benchmarks already out. If they are to be believed, the GPU performance has gone up 8% (due to the additional GPU core), and the CPU performance hasn't changed at all.

So, it sounds like they probably didn't do anything at all to A12X, except activate the previously dormant extra GPU core that was probably already there.

• Haha

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

lol that’s your comparison? Seriously?

it’s not stopping you from watching content at all, just limited in the app / browser of resultion. All videos are available via other codecs.

another measure: why are iOS devices more stable over longer periods of time using apps and features across what is capable or offered vs Android without the need to reboot?

there are many different measures of how to state with OS OS better and its a subjective opinion. The choice is always each and of ones own.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Antutu benchmarks already out. If they are to be believed, the GPU performance has gone up 8% (due to the additional GPU core), and the CPU performance hasn't changed at all.

So, it sounds like they probably didn't do anything at all to A12X, except activate the previously dormant extra GPU core that was probably already there.

How much of a jump would that translate to for someone like myself who has the 2017 iPad Pro?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How much of a jump would that translate to for someone like myself who has the 2017 iPad Pro?
Depends on what you are doing.

The 2017 iPad Pro is already a very fast surfer. Side by side with the 2018 I can notice that the 2018 is faster, but only slightly so.

For some video encoding, the 2018 iPad Pro is roughly twice as fast as the 2017 iPad Pro in tests. However, in occasional video encoding tests, the 2018 iPad Pro is no faster than the 2017 iPad Pro, presumably due to hardware encoding. That being said, the 2018 iPad Pro generally scrubs much better than the 2017 iPad Pro in video editing suites. The 2017 model bogs down if you're trying to overlay a couple of 4K HEVC videos.

OTOH, the 2020 iPad Pro has 2 GB more memory than both the 2017 iPad Pros and most 2018 iPad Pros. That means utilization of that memory will likely change going forward, to maximize usage of that 6 GB RAM.

Reactions: Dave245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.