Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
All of the efficiency went to " who asked for this "ray tracing" so its the same battery life even if you now have the 3nm chip inside...

They don't use any power if not used. And if they are used, the are actually more efficient than without.

Reactions: Tagbert

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
When the actual capacities get released I bet the mAh actually went down slightly. Apple always loves to say it’s the largest battery ever in an iPhone, when they can. Sounds like they made it smaller and maintained performance

macf4n

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
Here's the bad news: US Devices are all dual eSim... UK (& assuming but haven't checked ROW) are still eSim + nano Sim... so Apple hasn't had the opportunity (courage) to increase eSim adoption across ROW.. which means US will continue to have issues getting eSim's when traveling/moving to other countries.. & before everyone starts with "I can get an airlo sim for $xx" - you're missing the point.. my daughter just moved to the UK from USA & getting EE to issue an eSim is a fiasco. I can share the details if anyone cares..

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
They were chasing the “lightest pro iPhone ever” title a little too hard imo.
Honestly I'm fine with that. My wife has a 14 Pro and is constantly comparing it to a brick. As soon as physical display models are available in store we are going down to see if there is an appreciable weight difference and if so she's upgrading.

Reactions: eelynek

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Seriously so disappointing. I wasn't expecting a huge jump, but I was expecting at least an hour improvement. What I don't understand is how the 3nm chip only managed to eke out 10% more performance, but no improvement to battery life? After all that hype about the 3nm chip and with it being delayed from last year's Pro phones?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Here's the bad news: US Devices are all dual eSim... UK (& assuming but haven't checked ROW) are still eSim + nano Sim... so Apple hasn't had the opportunity (courage) to increase eSim adoption across ROW.. which means US will continue to have issues getting eSim's when traveling/moving to other countries.. & before everyone starts with "I can get an airlo sim for $xx" - you're missing the point.. my daughter just moved to the UK from USA & getting EE to issue an eSim is a fiasco. I can share the details if anyone cares..
That's not Apple's fault, the carrier does the heavy lifting when it comes to eSIM.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They went the performance route this cycle. On 3nm+ next year they will probably aim more for performance.

I would've liked to see a bit more battery life on the 15 Pro. When traveling it can sometimes be a bit tight if you don't top up. Don't really trust the chargers in airports anymore so need a battery pack in the bag. Fortunately for me I'm switching to the Pro Max to try out the new zoom lens so not a big deal this generation for me personally. I'm sure the 15 Pro Max will be perfect for travel compared to my 14 Pro.

cutlub

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Well, maybe this time reality will be a bit closer to those estimates. My iPhone 14 Pro Max's battery is noticeably worse than my 13 Pro Max's was. Better battery life was the one thing I was really hoping for.
Same. I could not be more disappointed. It was literally the only thing that made me consider upgrading. I could not care less about performance.

macf4n

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
That's not Apple's fault, the carrier does the heavy lifting when it comes to eSIM.
I didn't say it was apple's fault.. I said apple hasn't had the opportunity to increase eSim adoption - apple very often moves the market by making design & tech decisions - point still stands US devices/users are left orphaned (yes dramatic statement) & stuck/dependent on eSim while ROW can still use any old sim....

Reactions: gusmula and 9Benua
Aug 30, 2022
The hype of the 3nm chip kinda perished. Seems more like a cheap marketing trick to me. I’m not sold, yet. Did pre-order the Ultra 2 though. It’s a bit underwhelming overall.

The only reason for me to upgrade to a 15 Pro Max would be the Action Button as I use the Ultra’s Action Button quite frequently.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
It’s all very well talking about Apple going for performance over efficiency and a few references to ray tracing but the spec numbers this article quotes, e.g. the video playback hours, are under pretty well specified conditions and when playing back locally stored videos there won’t be any ray tracing going on.

I’m really surprised, if the rumours about the bigger mAh batteries were true, that we didn’t at least see corresponding increases in the video and audio playback numbers. And for at least some models (both the non-pro 15s?) whoever was presenting that bit did explicitly mention bigger batteries which is something I’ve never heard Apple do at a launch event. She didn’t specify mAh sizes of course but she did mention “bigger” so that does seem to confirm at least partially the bigger batteries rumour for some model.

I think redbeard331’s theory is very plausible - battery life might be better this year but Apple doesn’t want to admit it so that it isn’t seen going backwards again next year when screens get slightly bigger and the A18 might be on a less efficient 3nm process.

I still long for a year when Apple really focuses on battery life improvements and throws everything it can at maximising physical battery size, optimising hardware components for power efficiency, and optimising iOS re battery consumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.