Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is introduced new functionality for almost every iPhone app and feature with iOS 17, and CarPlay hasn't been left out. We haven't seen the total overhaul of CarPlay that Apple promised last year as of yet, but there are a handful of new features that were added in iOS 17.

SharePlay for the Music App

SharePlay works with the Apple Music app in CarPlay, which means everyone in the car, passengers included, can contribute to an Apple Music playlist.

shareplay-carplay.jpg

As long as the car owner has an Apple Music subscription and initiates a SharePlay session from CarPlay, other people in the car can choose music to play. Each person can scan a QR code generated by the main user to get access to the playlist to add songs to the in-car Apple Music queue.

Only the person who starts the SharePlay session has to have an Apple Music subscription. Everyone else can use Apple Music to contribute without having to pay.

EV Charging Station Improvements

If you have an electric vehicle, the Apple Maps app can provide real-time charging availability for the charging networks that are compatible with your car. The update should make it easier for EV owners to locate nearby charging stations on a trip.

Messages Updates

The Messages app in CarPlay has a revamped interface that makes it easier to quickly reply and re-read a message without taking too much attention away from the road.

Wallpaper

iOS 17 includes new wallpaper options, which can be expanded to the CarPlay interface.

The All-New CarPlay Experience

Apple at WWDC 2022 previewed the next-generation version of CarPlay, which will offer deeper integration with vehicles in the future. Apple did not talk about the new CarPlay experience at WWDC 2023, but the company did say in 2022 that the first cars with the updated technology will be coming in late 2023.

Multi-Display-CarPlay-2.jpeg

CarPlay will support multiple displays, showing up across all of the displays in a vehicle, including the instrument cluster. Apple will be able to offer a consistent experience throughout the car, and CarPlay will integrate with the speedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel gauge, and more.

next-generation-carplay-multi-display.jpg

The vehicle's climate controls will also be accessible through CarPlay in upcoming vehicles, letting users adjust temperature and activate other in-car climate features through the CarPlay interface.

With the revamped CarPlay experience slated for a 2023 launch, we can likely expect to see additional CarPlay features coming in future iOS 17 updates. Car brands that will support next-generation CarPlay include Acura, Audi, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, and Volvo.

Read More

More information on all of the new features in the iOS 17 update can be found in our iOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: All of the iOS 17 CarPlay Features

Last edited:

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Ok... So if you don't pay for Apple Music you can't use SharePlay?.. That's kinda dumb.

Also, with all these wonderful updates, they still can't make an incoming phone call NOT take over the entire interface covering up your map?.. I remember years ago when they solved this for the iPhone, wonder how long it will take for CarPlay...

IconDRT

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Seattle, WA
I'd like to be able to replace the frequent/favorite destinations section in the top right of the split screen to be weather or maybe a stock ticker or some sort of configurable notification or possible a widget that syncs with a Bluetooth OBD reader like BlueDriver which would let me add a couple of digital gauges.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Ok... So if you don't pay for Apple Music you can't use SharePlay?.. That's kinda dumb.

Also, with all these wonderful updates, they still can't make an incoming phone call NOT take over the entire interface covering up your map?.. I remember years ago when they solved this for the iPhone, wonder how long it will take for CarPlay...

Surely needing a subscription is logical?

Why would someone sitting in you car be able to control Apple Music if you don’t have that subscription?

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
one thing i really don't like about CarPlay is that it respects the "silent" switch on the phone. i'm one of those people that doesn't like my phone making any noises, and with the watch on or phone in my pocket, the haptics let me know there's a message or some other kind of notification.

when that switch is on silent, despite the fact that i'm streaming music from my phone to the car, Messages does not make a noise when a message is received. thus i miss messages all the time while driving.

i realize this is "working properly" like this but it maybe doesn't make a lot of sense given that the car does not have haptics. you can say "well, just flip the switch when you get in the car" but it's a little silly as i set that switch to silent when i got the phone and never touched it again.

i doubt this was fixed in ios17 but we'll see.

Reactions: Breezygirl

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011

This is my biggest problem with CarPlay personally. On more than one occasion I’ve missed a turning due to an incoming phone call.

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I'd like to be able to replace the frequent/favorite destinations section in the top right of the split screen to be weather or maybe a stock ticker or some sort of configurable notification or possible a widget that syncs with a Bluetooth OBD reader like BlueDriver which would let me add a couple of digital gauges.
Bluetooth OBD digital gauges, I never even thought of this, this would be fantastic!

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
Why can't we get a little more customization options? Give us the ability to arrange the icons/apps, create folders, use custom wallpapers, etc. I'm no dev, but how hard could that be?

Reactions: Abadgermac

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
I hadn't even thought of connecting into and OBD reader. I would love to have a boost gauge in one corner of my screen, or even where the map is, I only need Maps on rare occasions.

Reactions: Baron Thompson

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Surely needing a subscription is logical?

Why would someone sitting in you car be able to control Apple Music if you don’t have that subscription?
Sure.. but I am not subscribed to Apple Music, but have music that I own loaded on my iPhone, which I play via CarPlay. My wife has the same. If we need a subscription for us to be able to use this feature — it's dumb. Perhaps, that's not the case, I need to try it.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
This is my biggest problem with CarPlay personally. On more than one occasion I’ve missed a turning due to an incoming phone call.
I know, not only does it block the entire display, but it also stays on for the entire duration of the call. Sure I have a HUD, but it still drives me crazy!

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
My favorite: SharePlay.

It will be awesome to actually listen to your family & friends music playlist on the go! Seamlessly!
Dear friend that is because you are not a mom ( at least I don’t think you are 😊) this feature is going to drive parents crazy. With the children trying to push their songs to the audio system all the time.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
If you are looking for a vehicle that supports the new CarPlay system with the full screen displays I will recommend the 2024 Lincoln nautilus. It has a full screen that goes all the way across the dashboard.

RobertoK

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2023

Apple is introducing new functionality for almost every iPhone app and feature with iOS 17, and CarPlay hasn't been left out. We haven't seen the total overhaul of CarPlay that Apple promised last year as of yet, but there are a handful of new features.

SharePlay for the Music App

SharePlay works with the Apple Music app in CarPlay, which means everyone in the car, passengers included, can contribute to an Apple Music playlist.

shareplay-carplay.jpg

As long as the car owner has an Apple Music subscription and initiates a SharePlay session from CarPlay, other people in the car can choose music to play. Each person can scan a QR code generated by the main user to get access to the playlist to add songs to the in-car Apple Music queue.

Only the person who starts the SharePlay session has to have an Apple Music subscription. Everyone else can use Apple Music to contribute without having to pay.

EV Charging Station Improvements

If you have an electric vehicle, the Apple Maps app can provide real-time charging availability for the charging networks that are compatible with your car. The update should make it easier for EV owners to locate nearby charging stations on a trip.

Messages Updates

The Messages app in CarPlay has a revamped interface that makes it easier to quickly reply and re-read a message without taking too much attention away from the road.

Wallpaper

iOS 17 includes new wallpaper options, which can be expanded to the CarPlay interface.

The All-New CarPlay Experience

Apple at WWDC 2022 previewed the next-generation version of CarPlay, which will offer deeper integration with vehicles in the future. Apple did not talk about the new CarPlay experience at WWDC 2023, but the company did say in 2022 that the first cars with the updated technology will be coming in late 2023.

Multi-Display-CarPlay-2.jpeg

CarPlay will support multiple displays, showing up across all of the displays in a vehicle, including the instrument cluster. Apple will be able to offer a consistent experience throughout the car, and CarPlay will integrate with the speedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel gauge, and more.

next-generation-carplay-multi-display.jpg

The vehicle's climate controls will also be accessible through CarPlay in upcoming vehicles, letting users adjust temperature and activate other in-car climate features through the CarPlay interface.

With the revamped CarPlay experience slated for a 2023 launch, we can likely expect to see additional CarPlay features coming in future iOS 17 updates. Car brands that will support next-generation CarPlay include Acura, Audi, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, and Volvo.

Read More

More information on all of the new features in the iOS 17 update can be found in our iOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: Everything New With CarPlay in iOS 17
What you don't mention is that GM announced that their 2024 EVs will not support CarPlay. This is a major error, and I hope they come to their senses. I have one reserved but will probably cancel unless this changes. I know subscription services are an important revenue stream, but this terrible news. What is the best way to convey this to GM, I wonder?

Reactions: Razorpit

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
I wonder how modern of a car is required for some of the new CarPlay features. My 2016 Mazda CX-5 has a reasonably modern infotainment system that displays my MPG at the end of each trip when I shut off the car. Will CarPlay be able to access these types of systems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.