Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crescentmoon

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2016
Denver
On my older JVC system carplay has hijacked my ability to play through my iphone when connected to USB... tried to get it working through Apple support but to no avail....:mad: Finally had to buy a bluetooth connector to the aux to get it to work. I guess everyone in silicon valley drives a new car... BS

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Ok... So if you don't pay for Apple Music you can't use SharePlay?.. That's kinda dumb.

Also, with all these wonderful updates, they still can't make an incoming phone call NOT take over the entire interface covering up your map?.. I remember years ago when they solved this for the iPhone, wonder how long it will take for CarPlay...
He literally said "You CAN take part in SharePlay even if you DON'T have Apple Music..."

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
If you are looking for a vehicle that supports the new CarPlay system with the full screen displays I will recommend the 2024 Lincoln nautilus. It has a full screen that goes all the way across the dashboard.
Have they confirmed that the ‘24 Nautilus will support the new CarPlay experience? I’m willing to bet it will, since it looks like they’ve designed the infotainment system in preparation for this launch. Just curious if any official announcement was made.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
one thing i really don't like about CarPlay is that it respects the "silent" switch on the phone. i'm one of those people that doesn't like my phone making any noises, and with the watch on or phone in my pocket, the haptics let me know there's a message or some other kind of notification.

when that switch is on silent, despite the fact that i'm streaming music from my phone to the car, Messages does not make a noise when a message is received. thus i miss messages all the time while driving.

i realize this is "working properly" like this but it maybe doesn't make a lot of sense given that the car does not have haptics. you can say "well, just flip the switch when you get in the car" but it's a little silly as i set that switch to silent when i got the phone and never touched it again.

i doubt this was fixed in ios17 but we'll see.
Their solution is to use announce messages. You won’t miss them but it will drive you insane, especially if you have group messages “in a group with x,y, and n others.” I eventually turned it off and now enjoy a less distracted drive.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Also, with all these wonderful updates, they still can't make an incoming phone call NOT take over the entire interface covering up your map?.. I remember years ago when they solved this for the iPhone, wonder how long it will take for CarPlay...
While it does take over the UI on incoming you can just hit the dashboard button to put it in a widget on the right and still get your navigation.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
While it does take over the UI on incoming you can just hit the dashboard button to put it in a widget on the right and still get your navigation.
Oh yes, I'm aware — that's exactly what I do, but still annoys me though that CarPlay, which is supposed to help you stay focused on the road — distracts you(me) instead :)

Reactions: QuarterSwede

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
He literally said "You CAN take part in SharePlay even if you DON'T have Apple Music..."
If we're talking about the same 'he', what he literally said was "Only the person who starts the SharePlay session has to have an Apple Music subscription. Everyone else can use Apple Music to contribute without having to pay."

Reactions: brewc99

puggles

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
The Music app is looking cleaner in Beta 2
4J8ulzk.jpg

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I hope we'll be able to decide how much of the dashboard is taken up by CarPlay. I want to see only my home screen and have it confined to the infotainment screen only. The preview shot in the story of CarPlay taking up the entire dash is pretty hideous IMHO.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
I wonder what the first electric car that will support those cool full-width screens.
… it will be a self-driving car so that you can pay attention to the all the content on the screens. You will be able to move the speedometer info to the right and shift the movie screen left so you can watch it through the steering wheel when in semi self-driving mode … 😊

Reactions: macsplusmacs

cheetabrad

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2023
St. Louis, MO

Apple is introducing new functionality for almost every iPhone app and feature with iOS 17, and CarPlay hasn't been left out. We haven't seen the total overhaul of CarPlay that Apple promised last year as of yet, but there are a handful of new features.

SharePlay for the Music App

SharePlay works with the Apple Music app in CarPlay, which means everyone in the car, passengers included, can contribute to an Apple Music playlist.

shareplay-carplay.jpg

As long as the car owner has an Apple Music subscription and initiates a SharePlay session from CarPlay, other people in the car can choose music to play. Each person can scan a QR code generated by the main user to get access to the playlist to add songs to the in-car Apple Music queue.

Only the person who starts the SharePlay session has to have an Apple Music subscription. Everyone else can use Apple Music to contribute without having to pay.

EV Charging Station Improvements

If you have an electric vehicle, the Apple Maps app can provide real-time charging availability for the charging networks that are compatible with your car. The update should make it easier for EV owners to locate nearby charging stations on a trip.

Messages Updates

The Messages app in CarPlay has a revamped interface that makes it easier to quickly reply and re-read a message without taking too much attention away from the road.

Wallpaper

iOS 17 includes new wallpaper options, which can be expanded to the CarPlay interface.

The All-New CarPlay Experience

Apple at WWDC 2022 previewed the next-generation version of CarPlay, which will offer deeper integration with vehicles in the future. Apple did not talk about the new CarPlay experience at WWDC 2023, but the company did say in 2022 that the first cars with the updated technology will be coming in late 2023.

Multi-Display-CarPlay-2.jpeg

CarPlay will support multiple displays, showing up across all of the displays in a vehicle, including the instrument cluster. Apple will be able to offer a consistent experience throughout the car, and CarPlay will integrate with the speedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel gauge, and more.

next-generation-carplay-multi-display.jpg

The vehicle's climate controls will also be accessible through CarPlay in upcoming vehicles, letting users adjust temperature and activate other in-car climate features through the CarPlay interface.

With the revamped CarPlay experience slated for a 2023 launch, we can likely expect to see additional CarPlay features coming in future iOS 17 updates. Car brands that will support next-generation CarPlay include Acura, Audi, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, and Volvo.

Read More

More information on all of the new features in the iOS 17 update can be found in our iOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: Everything New With CarPlay in iOS 17
CarPlay at the OEM level is desperately needed aka the New CarPlay Experience. I don’t want google dominating that field and they have a major head start with Android Automotive.

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
What you don't mention is that GM announced that their 2024 EVs will not support CarPlay. This is a major error, and I hope they come to their senses. I have one reserved but will probably cancel unless this changes. I know subscription services are an important revenue stream, but this terrible news. What is the best way to convey this to GM, I wonder?
In Australia the answer was to shut down the factory and discontinue mainstream GM car sales two years later. We've had a lot less trouble with GM ever since.

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Fun fact: at least on current beta, everybody has to be on iOS 17 for SharePlay feature to work. I’m on beta, wife isn’t and she cannot connect. Wondering if this would be the case for the final version - which will be sad for those still rocking ancient iPhones.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
What you don't mention is that GM announced that their 2024 EVs will not support CarPlay. This is a major error, and I hope they come to their senses. I have one reserved but will probably cancel unless this changes. I know subscription services are an important revenue stream, but this terrible news. What is the best way to convey this to GM, I wonder?
The only thing you can do is cancel your order and not buy the car, giving lack of CarPlay support for the reason. If enough people do this and they see their sales drop after losing CarPlay support, they will come to their senses. Or not.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
All I want is Messages option to either Mark as Unread or Notify Me Later. It’s frustrating receiving a detailed message or hearing “sent a photo” and then forgetting to reply.

theLedger

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Franklin, TN
I still wish that you could get a precipitation overlay on Maps so you can see when you might hit weather on a trip.

When you’re using navigation and a call comes in, once you accept the call, it should replace two of the app icons on the left column with a mute and call end button. The bottom icon can still go to the split screen or app view if needed.

I’m glad more control over Messages is coming as well.

SharePlay will be great for my family. My adult kids get tired of my playlists but I hate disconnecting my iPhone on a trip when I’m using navigation just so they can play their music.

This is not for Apple but the Microsoft Teams app for CarPlay is almost useless. Give me a basic calendar view so I can select a meeting to join and the ability to participate in chats using voice would be great.

Reactions: Scubadiver

tommy tutone

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
At some point the CarPlay will be doing so much that your phone will be required to drive your car or do common tasks (speedometer, climate control). What happens when you lose your phone? Hopefully there are fallbacks, even if dumbed down but still functional.

iea96

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2019
SharePlay sounds like a great addition but what about people who use other music services like Spotify or YouTube Music instead?

abel75

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Amsterdam, NL
Would be nice if CarPlay can have Siri detect the language a received message was send in and thus pronounce it correctly. Suppose the smart AI can't tell messages with contact A,B and C are always in English, contact D,E in Dutch, contact F,G in Spanish etc.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I wonder when they will fix the bug that makes scrolling through search results in Maps works on all screen. Currently can't use it at all for navigation due to their terrible search algorithm and the fact that only the top result is accessible. That is if the place you are going to have existed for over 5 years which seems to be how old the data is for Maps.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Their solution is to use announce messages. You won’t miss them but it will drive you insane, especially if you have group messages “in a group with x,y, and n others.” I eventually turned it off and now enjoy a less distracted drive.

meaning there is a setting that just reads any incoming message without tapping anything? where is that setting?

anyway, that's no good either, if i'm in the car with the family i don't want the car reading texts from my foul-mouthed friends.

basically i just want to hear a sound that alerts me to an incoming message. it would be nice if they put in an "override mute button" setting for the car.

Reactions: Breezygirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.