Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
With four kids I need a “Road Trip” function where via CarPlay I can play a movie on my phone with the audio routed through the speakers and the video displayed on headrest mounted iPads all in sync. While allowing me to still access the maps and route on the dash display.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
With four kids I need a “Road Trip” function where via CarPlay I can play a movie on my phone with the audio routed through the speakers and the video displayed on headrest mounted iPads all in sync. While allowing me to still access the maps and route on the dash display.
Probably easier to use a second device as your video input for the headrest screens and speakers, and use CarPlay for you.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
What’s wrong with giving kids, their own tablets and head phones to let them watch whatever they want?

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Why can't we get a little more customization options? Give us the ability to arrange the icons/apps, create folders, use custom wallpapers, etc. I'm no dev, but how hard could that be?

You can arrange icons/apps. At least in my car

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Probably easier to use a second device as your video input for the headrest screens and speakers, and use CarPlay for you.

No headrest screens, individual iPad on headrest mounts. So sync’s across the iPads with audio through CarPlay and the cars speakers with control through the car display.

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
What’s wrong with giving kids, their own tablets and head phones to let them watch whatever they want?

At the moment they are 6, 4, 2, 10 months. Easier to have control centrally and everyone watch the same thing. Also don’t want them disconnected from the family with the headphones in their own world.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
At the moment they are 6, 4, 2, 10 months. Easier to have control centrally and everyone watch the same thing. Also don’t want them disconnected from the family with the headphones in their own world.
Fair point. Would be nice to be able to control Cocomelon and Little baby bum videos on an ipad remotely from your phone. My kids aged 4 and 7 use amazon fire tablets. I have owned one for 3 years but wasn’t used much. However in the past 6 months the kids have taken an interest in casual gaming. I bought a second one, a Fire Kids 8 Plus during Prime sale for £69 down from £149.

For children I prefer the Fire tablet to the iPad. All the games are free, have no ads or micro transactions, they are all age appropriate and the kids can use the devices without my help. Once they get into Roblox or Minecraft then the iPad might be preferred for its power.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No headrest screens, individual iPad on headrest mounts. So sync’s across the iPads with audio through CarPlay and the cars speakers with control through the car display.
Have you looked into AirPlay of some fo the video mirroring apps. Not sure they integrate with CarPlay tho.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
My biggest CarPlay wish is a more functional map zoom setting. When I'm driving, if I'm not near a turn, I like the zoomed-out north-up view that shows the overview along the whole route (including any upcoming traffic issues). When I get near a turn, I then have to hit the detail view button (which sometimes involves multiple taps if I was in the "Home Screen" view, since I have to switch to Maps to change the view).

What would be great is an automatic zoom feature that would show the overview, then switch to the detail view when you get within a few miles of a turn. An old Garmin or TomTom GPS I used to have behaved this way, and it was nice to have.

Timmo78

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
All I want is to be able to shazam whatever is on the radio while CarPlay is operational.

I fail to understand why the microphone can’t be active (for this specific use case) without muting all audio sources (rendering shazam useless)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
All I want is to be able to shazam whatever is on the radio while CarPlay is operational.

I fail to understand why the microphone can’t be active (for this specific use case) without muting all audio sources (rendering shazam useless)
Try using shazam on the apple watch if you have one.

Reactions: Timmo78

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Not currently part of my arsenal, but this is the most compelling reason I’ve had yet for such a device. Seems a tad excessive tbf :)
If you use apple maps in carplay, the apple watch is super handy.

You get haptic feedback in advance of a turn. This allows me to keep voice directions muted to not interrupt my music. Because your wrist is near the steering wheel you can glance at information without looking at the main screen.

Attachments

• IMG_8587.png
    IMG_8587.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 27

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Are you talking about playing something from the built-in Radio, SiriusXM, etc. while using Maps navigation with CarPlay?

Last edited:

Timmo78

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Are you talking about playing something from the built-in Radio, SiriusXM, etc. while using Maps navigation with CarPlay?
I’m not talking about maps specifically.

But yes, listening to the cars built-in radio and activating Shazam - this will activate the microphone, which mutes the audio from the radio, which obviously doesn’t work. Been like this since the beginning.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

But yes, listening to the cars built-in radio and activating Shazam - this will activate the microphone, which mutes the audio from the radio, which obviously doesn’t work. Been like this since the beginning.
Just tried it, you’re correct. How annoying.

veritech137

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009

This may just be my car, but the microphone and song stayed activated when I use the Shazam button I added to the Control Center. This works for radio just fine. It still kinda works in Apple Music and other apps in CarPlay, but while Shazam listens for the song, the phone switches from CarPlay to the phone’s own speakers. It’ll still find the song, just the phone kinda just listens for its own speaker’s playback. All playback goes mute if I open the actual Shazam app still, just like yours.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This may just be my car, but the microphone and song stayed activated when I use the Shazam button I added to the Control Center. This works for radio just fine. It still kinda works in Apple Music and other apps in CarPlay, but while Shazam listens for the song, the phone switches from CarPlay to the phone’s own speakers. It’ll still find the song, just the phone kinda just listens for its own speaker’s playback. All playback goes mute if I open the actual Shazam app still, just like yours.
That’s right; I think they added it to CC so it could Shazam without interrupting what is playing.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Just confirmed on my new Mazda that Shazam through Control Center does not activate the microphone. Seems to do what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.