Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
I would say, if you also mentioned the category of the game, it would be very helpful. I am looking for strategy games on Apple Arcade and no way to search and find them.

Same here. Signed up on iPhone X iOS 13GM. I’ve grabbed a few puzzlers (tint., Word Laces & Patterned) to try, but a category grouping would be very helpful. SO far its been scroll and stop on anything that looks vaguely puzzle-like.

One the plus side, the service is well presented in terms of descriptions, screenshots and preview videos.

Time to kick the tires.

eyez73

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
I would say, if you also mentioned the category of the game, it would be very helpful. I am looking for strategy games on Apple Arcade and no way to search and find them.

I was thinking the same thing. I would imagine there will be lots of youtube videos showing the available options in days to come. The problem I have is I don't know any of them, but I'm interested to see what is available at around a fiver a month.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
What I want to know is will some of these games be removed from time to time and only be available on the App Store? If so, will we get advance notice so we can finish a story?

Definitely signing up for it though. $4.99/mo is crazy inexpensive.
I hope it’s not like Netflix where games come and go, but I have a feeling it is.

Reactions: macduke

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Only one that's potentially not crapplet is 'Exit the Gungeon' which follows the popular 2016 'Enter the Gungeon' for PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I hope it’s not like Netflix where games come and go, but I have a feeling it is.
Yeah that was exactly where I was coming from.

I know for at least some of them Apple was helping to fund them, so maybe they will be exclusive. I can't remember all the details.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Boring! I'm a gamer and will not be signing up for this service. Just like the Apple TV + service. It looks boring.

Is it for hardcore gamers like you though?

I'll be subscribing purely for Beyond a Steel Sky. You're a gamer, doesn't a highly anticipated sequel like that excite you?

• Haha
Reactions: jinnj and ErikGrim

martyhimself

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
For me this is the ultimate example of how Apple has completely missed the ball when it comes to games on the iOS platform.

There are tons of existing and recent PC game titles that would work perfectly with touch, and they are just screaming out for a conversion to iPad / iPhone. Each and every one of those are almost certainly much better experiences than the games that have been produced for Arcade, even if some of them look promising.

Apple could have reached out to work with publishers / developers to help them convert quality titles and reward them for it, perhaps bringing them on board for future releases on the platform.

Reactions: DevNull0

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Patterned is my new favourite puzzler. The puzzle game equivalent of a long soak in a deep hot bath with salts. If there are just a handful of this sort of slow, gentle brain tickler on the service with more added/rotated in over time, then I’m in.

Tried Tint. (Watercolour based puzzler), Word Laces (make words from available letter/phonetic tiles relating to the picture clue), Grindstone (only tried briefly on the basis that the developer did the fantastic Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes XBOX 350 game) and Patterened. So far I’ve enjoyed them all and not a time gate, Crystals/gems micro transactions or other ‘freemium’ nonsense in sight.

On the basis of the last hour alone I’ll be renewing the subscrption in a months time,

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
110A765F-0574-4A80-9228-63E80587ADDB.jpeg
Is that it?

Reactions: DevNull0 and TMRJIJ

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Are these games only available thru the subscription or can they be purchased individually? I would never subscribe to this service the only game listed that I’m sort of interested in is Exit the Gungeon as Enter the Gungeon was pretty fun.
Yes, you can get Gungeon for $4.99 a month. :D

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
As a hardcore gamer. Something this cheap for some nice high quality games on your phone that do not require an internet connection and no ads or in app purchases is fantastic. For such a low price I think it’s a winner.

Reactions: s1m

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
As a console/PC gamer there are a few developers here that pique my interest. Probably not for a long term subscription but perhaps for the trial period or a month longer.

Whilst Apple are just making more money by solving a problem they created with a problem of a race to the bottom, I'm glad there's an outlet for developers to put games without exploitative mechanics and have a chance at making some money back.

It'll be interesting to see if making these games exclusive (I assume they won't be on other platforms) is worth it in the long run. I can't imagine the profit per game being very high and how long does the tail go.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I was able to gain access:

IMG_1329.PNG

The lineup looks fantastic and is an incredible deal at $4.99 but it really should have been its own app. It doesn't make sense being a tab in the App Store. Hopefully Apple will realize that and have an Arcade app in the Home Screen and free up the App Store for downloading apps.

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
Not worth it. None of the games on this subscription are worth a monthly fee.

Honestly this is the only argument I can really see, here. A roguelike is something you buy once and play for, probably, years. Absolutely not worth 5 a month. I'd be you could find some other rad games in the arcade, but if you're just going for roguelikes then you've got a very valid point

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
Skate City is the best one I've played so far.

Overland would be good on an iPad.

Hot Lava has some screwy controls.

Those are the only ones I've played so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.