Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All three of Apple's rumored 2017 iPhone models will likely have 3GB of RAM, according to Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri.

iphone-dual-single.jpg

An excerpt from Arcuri's late March research note, obtained by MacRumors:
In terms of memory/storage configuration, all three models will likely adopt 3GB RAM; the 4.7"/5.5" will likely have the same storage options as the current iPhone 7/7+ in 32/128/256GB while the 5.8" model looks to be only offered in two memory configurations: 64GB and 256GB. Finally, the 5.8" model will likely have extended battery life with two packs of batteries.
Arcuri's research contradicts Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, which recently said that only the next 5.5-inch iPhone and Apple's rumored 5.8-inch iPhone with an OLED display will have 3GB of RAM. TrendForce said the next 4.7-inch iPhone will continue to have 2GB of RAM like the iPhone 7.

Apple already includes 3GB of RAM in the iPhone 7 Plus, so the 4.7-inch iPhone would be the only model with increased RAM.

If the prediction is accurate, it's welcomed news for customers that plan on purchasing the next 4.7-inch iPhone, rather than spending upwards of $200 more on the so-called "iPhone 8" with an edge-to-edge OLED display.

Increased RAM means an iPhone can store more data in memory. If you have dozens of tabs open in Safari on an older iPhone, for example, you may notice that some of the tabs refresh when you revisit them. But with increased RAM, the likelihood of Safari reloading a website you previously loaded is lower.

Lightning-iPhone-7.png

Arcuri also corroborated KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in saying that all three 2017 iPhone models will continue to have Lightning connectors with USB Type-C Power Delivery for faster charging.

Cowen's research is based on his own checks of Apple's supply chain, so his prediction lends credence to the already-reliable Kuo.

The Wall Street Journal previously said the "iPhone 8" will have "a USB-C port for the power cord and other peripheral devices instead of the company's original Lightning connector." But the report did not provide any additional details, and it appears the Lightning connector will live on.

Article Link: All Three 2017 iPhones Predicted to Have 3GB of RAM and Lightning Connectors With Faster Charging

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I love my iPhone 7 and just like when I got my iPhone 6 I want to keep using it until it falls apart. Must. Resist. 8.

Edit: I might have phrased that in a confusing way. I wanted to keep using the 6 until it would fall apart, but couldn't and got the 7 ;)

Last edited:

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Anything to make charging quicker is always welcome. I suspect 3GB of ram is unlikely considering we have not long moved to 2.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015

Increased RAM means an iPhone can store more data in memory. If you have dozens of tabs open in Safari on an older iPhone, for example, you may notice that some of the tabs refresh when you revisit them. But with increased RAM, the likelihood of Safari reloading a website you previously loaded is lower.
Good grief. That is incidental. That is not what "Increased RAM means".

The move to 3 GB of RAM for the entire line is likely related to the 3D camera system we've been hearing about. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Good grief. That is incidental. That is not what "Increased RAM means".

The move to 3 GB of RAM for the entire line is likely related to the 3D camera system we've been hearing about. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I'm in agreement. Apple isn't going to put 3GB of RAM in the 4.7-inch iPhone just for the sake of having 3GB of RAM. If all the iPhones across the lineup are going to be shipping with 3GB RAM, I'd expect some kind of camera improvements in at least the 4.7-inch iPhone. Either a dual camera or some new camera system. I'd look at any analyst info with some skepticism at this point. Haven't heard much about the camera, especially on the 5.5 and 4.7-inch non-OLED iPhones that are expected.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
With how much storage has come down can't they just go 64/128/256? Even 64/128 eliminating a model. I can't really imagine many people really needing 256GB on a smartphone especially with so much cloud app access these days.

Reactions: Col4bin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.