All Three 2017 iPhones Predicted to Have 3GB of RAM and Lightning Connectors With Faster Charging

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

All three of Apple's rumored 2017 iPhone models will likely have 3GB of RAM, according to Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri.

[​IMG]

An excerpt from Arcuri's late March research note, obtained by MacRumors:
    Arcuri's research contradicts Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, which recently said that only the next 5.5-inch iPhone and Apple's rumored 5.8-inch iPhone with an OLED display will have 3GB of RAM. TrendForce said the next 4.7-inch iPhone will continue to have 2GB of RAM like the iPhone 7.

Apple already includes 3GB of RAM in the iPhone 7 Plus, so the 4.7-inch iPhone would be the only model with increased RAM.

If the prediction is accurate, it's welcomed news for customers that plan on purchasing the next 4.7-inch iPhone, rather than spending upwards of $200 more on the so-called "iPhone 8" with an edge-to-edge OLED display.

Increased RAM means an iPhone can store more data in memory. If you have dozens of tabs open in Safari on an older iPhone, for example, you may notice that some of the tabs refresh when you revisit them. But with increased RAM, the likelihood of Safari reloading a website you previously loaded is lower.

[​IMG]

Arcuri also corroborated KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in saying that all three 2017 iPhone models will continue to have Lightning connectors with USB Type-C Power Delivery for faster charging.

Cowen's research is based on his own checks of Apple's supply chain, so his prediction lends credence to the already-reliable Kuo.

The Wall Street Journal previously said the "iPhone 8" will have "a USB-C port for the power cord and other peripheral devices instead of the company's original Lightning connector." But the report did not provide any additional details, and it appears the Lightning connector will live on.

Article Link: All Three 2017 iPhones Predicted to Have 3GB of RAM and Lightning Connectors With Faster Charging

2. meaning-matters, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors regular

meaning-matters

No USB-C?

Laptops with USB-C, with headphone jack.
    Phones without USB-C, without headphone jack.
    Tablets without USB-C, with headphone jack.

It's a mess.

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 6502a

thisisnotmyname

I could go either way on lightning vs USB-C. I'm not eager for another change on connectors for all the iOS devices but I could see it being convenient if the entire Apple line standardized to USB-C

4. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

*scans for any mention of digitimes*

cool.

*proceeds reading*

5. fokmik macrumors 6502a

at least lightning is more secured than usb-c

6. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

7. fokmik macrumors 6502a

and we will be getting usb-c cable so no more problems, we have the best from both worlds
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    tb3?? kidding right? :)))

8. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

9. sunapple, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I love my iPhone 7 and just like when I got my iPhone 6 I want to keep using it until it falls apart. Must. Resist. 8.

Edit: I might have phrased that in a confusing way. I wanted to keep using the 6 until it would fall apart, but couldn't and got the 7 ;)

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 68040

T'hain Esh Kelch

USB-C and I buy an iPhone 8. Lightning, and I'll buy an iPhone 6s.

Upgrading from a 4s.

11. deany macrumors 68020

deany

I hope all models have the 'better' OLED display.

12. vmistery macrumors 6502

Anything to make charging quicker is always welcome. I suspect 3GB of ram is unlikely considering we have not long moved to 2.

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Nice to see the ram increase. I hope it's enough.

14. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502

aaronhead14

No, no, no, no, no! Apple, you can't keep using Lightning. Use USB-C, for goodness sake! Make your products work together without annoying your customers!

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

looks good. Starting to save ... now (time to replace my 4S).

16. TurboPGT! macrumors 65816

Good grief. That is incidental. That is not what "Increased RAM means".

The move to 3 GB of RAM for the entire line is likely related to the 3D camera system we've been hearing about. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

17. fokmik macrumors 6502a

it is usb-c but with lightning port...whats the matter?? no compromises here

18. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 6502

I've got no problem with USB-C replacing the USB-A end of the cable. But going to USB-C on the iPhone itself is stupid.

19. fokmik macrumors 6502a

yep, this way to have the lightning port and on the other way usb-c port is the best

20. mattymo macrumors newbie

21. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I'm in agreement. Apple isn't going to put 3GB of RAM in the 4.7-inch iPhone just for the sake of having 3GB of RAM. If all the iPhones across the lineup are going to be shipping with 3GB RAM, I'd expect some kind of camera improvements in at least the 4.7-inch iPhone. Either a dual camera or some new camera system. I'd look at any analyst info with some skepticism at this point. Haven't heard much about the camera, especially on the 5.5 and 4.7-inch non-OLED iPhones that are expected.

22. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

Apple acknowledging it screwed up the Mac Pro and the 4.7' iPhone having 3GB of RAM...feels too good to be true.

23. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

With how much storage has come down can't they just go 64/128/256? Even 64/128 eliminating a model. I can't really imagine many people really needing 256GB on a smartphone especially with so much cloud app access these days.

24. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

The iPhone Jet Black looks so good in promotional photos, but in real life, it looks like a cheap 8 year old iPhone 3G enlarged. The smudges make it worse.

25. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Makes no sense. You'd lose the compatibility with thousands of accessories in exchange of... nothing.