Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I've got no problem with USB-C replacing the USB-A end of the cable. But going to USB-C on the iPhone itself is stupid.
Why would type C on the phone be stupid? The 3.5 mm jack is being replaced by type C as a standard so you could use wired headphones universally again. You could use any wire to charge your phone because all chargers would use type C.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
This is no real surprise although I would have hoped that the Edition would have 4GB due to the resolution increase over the Plus.

Last edited:

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
No, no, no, no, no! Apple, you can't keep using Lightning. Use USB-C, for goodness sake! Make your products work together without annoying your customers!

They're going to keep Lightning because it's the best way ensure that "products work together" for their customers and they're going to add USB-C, but only to the USB-A end of the cable and PSU.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
No USB-C?

Laptops with USB-C, with headphone jack.
Phones without USB-C, without headphone jack.
Tablets without USB-C, with headphone jack.

It's a mess.
Apple made it clear many years ago that the connector strategy is Thunderbolt for Macs and Lightning for iOS. It's the opposite of a mess.

Although in terms of the whole market, yeah it's a mess but only if you're envisioning a future with only one connector type. It'll be a long time before that happens.
[doublepost=1492028546][/doublepost]
No, no, no, no, no! Apple, you can't keep using Lightning. Use USB-C, for goodness sake! Make your products work together without annoying your customers!
They do work together. And Apple made it clear that their connector strategy is Thunderbolt for Mac and Lightning for iOS.

Last edited:

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
I love my iPhone 7 and just like when I got my iPhone 6 I want to keep using it until it falls apart. Must. Resist. 8.

Kinda sad when holding on to a device for a *whole two years* is something remarkable, but you're not alone. I've still go the 6 -- September / October can't come soon enough!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Why don't these rumours ever get put through the common sense test. To suggest that the premium model "iPhone 8/Edition/X/whatever" will come in a 64GB model is just madness.

(And there is no chance that the 8 comes in 64/256GB if the "7s/7s Plus" come in 32/128/256GB because the price points would converge between the mainstream and premium devices (unless there is a significant price cut of the 7s and/or the 8 comfortably breaks the $1000 barrier, which does not seem likely), and having large capacity 7s devices would remove the upsell to the 8.)

Expect 32/128 in the 7s and 128/256 and maybe even higher in the 8.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
I know sentiments like this are expressed in almost every thread, but,

How would this phone change my experience with my current phone? With texting, reading Twitter, taking pictures, looking up the weather? What is there to be excited about upgrading now?

If I purchase a piece of jewelry or a finely-crafted tool for $900, I would expect either to last a long time. These things have smooth metal and glass like works of art, which I appreciate. But I can't afford to treat a phone I intend to use like a piece of art.

I find I cannot be any more sentimental or covetous about my phone, which is essentially a disposable tool to me, any more than Saul Goodman is about his.

Reactions: nzgeorge and B.A.T

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Pretty sure the article says its a lightning to USB C cable for the next iPhone...meaning it would be perfectly compatible with the new laptops...aka not a mess...???

I think the confusion is with regard to which end of the cable we're talking about. It's a lightning to USB-C for the new iPhone from my understanding.

Meaning a lightning cable you can plug into the new Macbook. Or a USB-C power supply. Your current lightning cables will still work fine for the new iPhone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Pretty sure the article says its a lightning to USB C cable for the next iPhone...meaning it would be perfectly compatible with the new laptops...aka not a mess...???

Lightning headphones won't work on a Mac but will work on an iPhone or iPad
USB-C headphones will work on a Mac but won't work on an iPhone or iPad
3.5mm headphones will work on an iPad or Mac, but not an iPhone

But hey, in exchange for carrying around two pairs of headphones or a dongle, my phone is a whopping half millimeter thinner. Thanks Apple!

Yes, it's a mess.

iTundra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I'd upgrade for USB-C, otherwise I'll wait.

The less variety of cables I need to carry (or forget), the better. MacBook Pro, Charger block, SSD, and XQD/SD Reader are already USB-C so for those any USB-C to USB-C cable will work. I'd rather not also have to carry (and not forget or lose) a USB-C to Lightning cable.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
No USB-C?

Laptops with USB-C, with headphone jack.
Phones without USB-C, without headphone jack.
Tablets without USB-C, with headphone jack.

It's a mess.

[sarcasm]

Right?!
Sooooooo hard to wrap my head around! The smaller units have the least thick components & as the units get larger, they get more components. It's simply CRAZY! More room = more I/O? That's such a confusing mess.
They should DEFINITELY just either add every single port on the current MacPro to the next iPhone, or remove everything but lightning from every one of their products immediately! You know, so it's not so incredibly difficult to understand what product we are using & how to use it.

[/sarcasm]

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You could use any wire to charge your phone because all chargers would use type C.

A 1-wire solution is a nice theory, but it doesn't match reality, at least not for me. The reason I have cable clutter all over the place is definitely because of USB.

I just bought a rechargeable bicycle rear light and a CR2032 battery recharger, both of which are Mini-USB. Even recently designed hardware like Xbox One S controllers still have micro USB. So even the USB people aren't getting their act together and moving to the latest standard.

usb_connectors_20_30.jpg

While USB may be the industry standard, it is in no way a 1-cable solution. Even if you throw out the 4 that are for connecting computer equipment, you've still got 3 that are widely used for charging (Mini, Micro, and C).

So yes, Apple should change to USB-C, but until every else does too, the 1-wire charging cable is a pipe dream.

Last edited:

FreeAngel

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Samsung S8 has 6GB. Note 8 will come with 6.4 inch screen at 4K and also hooks up to an external monitor and keyboard with an optional $150 Hockey Puck Dock.
I will be getting a Note 8 instead of an iPhone for the very first time in many years
IF Apple follows the same lead as Samsung making your phone expandable and a portable desktop computer I will come back to the iPhone .

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Increased RAM means an iPhone can store more data in memory. If you have dozens of tabs open in Safari on an older iPhone, for example, you may notice that some of the tabs refresh when you revisit them. But with increased RAM, the likelihood of Safari reloading a website you previously loaded is lower

dozens of tabs?

Perhaps mine is defective but with just a few apps in memory and no more than 2 or 3 tabs open, those tabs are going to reload. Nevertheless, more RAM is welcomed. I'm glad we're past the days of trying to fool each other with ideas (or spin?) like "1GB is all anyone needs because iOS is so optimized" and/or "1GB is all we want so we don't burn through battery life so quickly."

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I love my iPhone 7 and just like when I got my iPhone 6 I want to keep using it until it falls apart. Must. Resist. 8.
it ’’fell apart" in two years???

I'm gonna hold onto my 7 too. Until the 2nd or 3rd gen iPhone with Touch ID imbedded in the screen. I want the kinks worked out

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
With how much storage has come down can't they just go 64/128/256? Even 64/128 eliminating a model. I can't really imagine many people really needing 256GB on a smartphone especially with so much cloud app access these days.
It comes down to a few bucks saved on each phone, which makes several million dollars in extra revenue each quarter. Only a drop in the buck when they're making $45+ billion four times a year, but hey... Apple. Look at how long it took to dump the 16gb option. They'll make the jump to 64gb base storage in 2 years or so, I bet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.