Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I don't mind that some of Apple's devices still use lighting. I think Apple should ship with USB-C chargers and cables though.

Samsung S8 has 6GB. Note 8 will come with 6.4 inch screen at 4K and also hooks up to an external monitor and keyboard with an optional $150 Hockey Puck Dock.
I will be getting a Note 8 instead of an iPhone for the very first time in many years
IF Apple follows the same lead as Samsung making your phone expandable and a portable desktop computer I will come back to the iPhone .

Don't fall for the spec sheet scam. It's already been shown that the S8 drops apps from RAM earlier than the iPhone 7+.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't mind that some of Apple's devices still use lighting. I think Apple should ship with USB-C chargers and cables though.

Don't fall for the spec sheet scam. It's already been shown that the S8 drops apps from RAM earlier than the iPhone 7+.
All videos I've seen has shown ram management being very good on the latest Samsung S8

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I know sentiments like this are expressed in almost every thread, but,

How would this phone change my experience with my current phone? With texting, reading Twitter, taking pictures, looking up the weather? What is there to be excited about upgrading now?

If I purchase a piece of jewelry or a finely-crafted tool for $900, I would expect either to last a long time. These things have smooth metal and glass like works of art, which I appreciate. But I can't afford to treat a phone I intend to use like a piece of art.

I find I cannot be any more sentimental or covetous about my phone, which is essentially a disposable tool to me, any more than Saul Goodman is about his.
A phone isn't like jewelry. It's a lot more like a car. Lots of people upgrade their cars frequently, and even more would, if leasing cars was a better deal than it is.

Cellular service companies have been making phone leasing a relatively good deal for a decade now, so most people are used to that business model. Hence frequent updating.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
RAM quantity on an iPhone: A spec Apple refuses to talk about but everyone is obsessed about.

Which is strange. The only reason why you would need more ram in an iphone is maybe games? Iphones have worked well with the little amount of Ram it usually has.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
how about usb 3 speeds?

I would hope they finally turn that on with high speed charging, but it will need the 16 pin Lightning connector.

One thing's for sure, if this rumor is true, they're keeping the Lightning port at least one more generation, even if they introduce some form of wireless charging in the next iPhones.

Why would type C on the phone be stupid? The 3.5 mm jack is being replaced by type C as a standard so you could use wired headphones universally again. You could use any wire to charge your phone because all chargers would use type C.

I'd love to see your stats indicating 3.5mm is being replaced by USB-C. I work in an office campus of over 5,000 employees -- if I had to find a USB-C cable right now, I doubt I could. USB-C is far from ubiquitous and switching to it prematurely is only going to create more problems for Apple users than not. In fact, I think switching to a USB-C charging brick is premature since 99.99% of the world is equipped for USB-A power. It's not the same as the 3.5mm headphone jack, since wireless charging is not yet at a point where the charging cable can be dropped completely, the way AirPods, and BT headphones can replace most wired headphones for most listening situations.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
All videos I've seen has shown ram management being very good on the latest Samsung S8

Watch the video from everything apple pro when he renders a video. The S8 is forced to remove apps from RAM.

Android Authority has done a great write up on how iOS manages RAM.
http://www.androidauthority.com/android-ios-ram-memory-usage-744848/

TLDNR - iOS can compress background apps RAM usage down to an incredible 3% of it's original size and instantly uncompress them when brought to the foreground.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Watch the video from everything apple pro when he renders a video. The S8 is forced to remove apps from RAM.

Android Authority has done a great write up on how iOS manages RAM.
http://www.androidauthority.com/android-ios-ram-memory-usage-744848/

TLDNR - iOS can compress background apps RAM usage down to an incredible 3% of it's original size and instantly uncompress them when brought to the foreground.

I'm not saying Samsung phones are better at ram management but it's perfectly fine from previous experience.

My 7 plus regularly restarts apps which is odd given the ram quality.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I'm not saying Samsung phones are better at ram management but it's perfectly fine from previous experience.

My 7 plus regularly restarts apps which is odd given the ram quality.

I'm sure it's fine on the S8, but the poster I was replying to said his/her reasoning for getting an S8 was for the 6GB of RAM.

In the grand scheme of things, this spec is irrelevant because iOS has shown to outperform Android devices with 6GB of RAM. Quite frankly, I don't think Android will ever outperform iOS in RAM management until Google changes how RAM is......managed.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm sure it's fine on the S8, but the poster I was replying to said his/her reasoning for getting an S8 was for the 6GB of RAM.

In the grand scheme of things, this spec is irrelevant because iOS has shown to outperform Android devices with 6GB of RAM. Quite frankly, I don't think Android will ever outperform iOS in RAM management until Google changes how RAM is......managed.

Not sure what the person you quoted thinks it comes with 6GB of Ram as that's Korea only. S8 comes with 4GB so only 1GB more than 7 plus

Honestly ram management doesn't mean much to me as I rarely have more than a few apps open at once. Others it may matter more but I agree ios is optimised better for ram

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Not sure what the person you quoted thinks it comes with 6GB of Ram as that's Korea only. S8 comes with 4GB so only 1GB more than 7 plus

Honestly ram management doesn't mean much to me as I rarely have more than a few apps open at once. Others it may matter more but I agree ios is optimised better for ram

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Samsung S8 has 6GB. Note 8 will come with 6.4 inch screen at 4K and also hooks up to an external monitor and keyboard with an optional $150 Hockey Puck Dock.
I will be getting a Note 8 instead of an iPhone for the very first time in many years
IF Apple follows the same lead as Samsung making your phone expandable and a portable desktop computer I will come back to the iPhone .

And yet the iPhone 7 beats both the S7 and S8 in real-world and benchmark tests...what's your point here? You want more RAM just so you can say you have more?

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
So headphones that don't plug into MacBook Pros.
iPhones that won't plug into the MacBook pros
A lot of courage.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Lightning headphones won't work on a Mac but will work on an iPhone or iPad
USB-C headphones will work on a Mac but won't work on an iPhone or iPad
3.5mm headphones will work on an iPad or Mac, but not an iPhone

But hey, in exchange for carrying around two pairs of headphones or a dongle, my phone is a whopping half millimeter thinner. Thanks Apple!

Yes, it's a mess.

My AirPods work perfectly with everything :D

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I find it laughable that the main driver/justification for more RAM is safari tabs reloading. Is that really a problem?? I mean REALLY a problem??

Reactions: Rettun1

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I know sentiments like this are expressed in almost every thread, but,

How would this phone change my experience with my current phone? With texting, reading Twitter, taking pictures, looking up the weather? What is there to be excited about upgrading now?

If I purchase a piece of jewelry or a finely-crafted tool for $900, I would expect either to last a long time. These things have smooth metal and glass like works of art, which I appreciate. But I can't afford to treat a phone I intend to use like a piece of art.

I find I cannot be any more sentimental or covetous about my phone, which is essentially a disposable tool to me, any more than Saul Goodman is about his.
My 6plus is going strong and still looks almost new. Im hoping it continues to work well until at least the 2018 iPhone is released. The longer the better.

Reactions: curtvaughan

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
So headphones that don't plug into MacBook Pros.
iPhones that won't plug into the MacBook pros
A lot of courage.

I don't use the included headphones. Honestly, Apple should have never made lightning headphones and just include the adapter.

As for plugging into the MBP, I just bought a lightning to usb-c cable. No adapter needed and I can use the same cable to plug into a USB-C charger.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
No USB-C? That's very disappointing. To me that would make upgrading worthwhile. Guess Apple can't bring itself to get rid of its MFA cash cow, even if lightning is inferior to USB-C. I cannot count how many lightning cables I have gone through since I first got an iPhone 5 in 2013 due to one or two of the contacts corroding and turning black. Everyone else I know says that their lightning cables eventually go bad the same way.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/04/lightning-cable-corrosion

At first, Apple seemed to be aware of the problem and would swap out defective lightning cables like candy at the Apple Store, no questions asked. However, that's not the case anymore; now they go through the motions of verifying the cable serial number, warranty, whether the cable is linked to a phone w/ AppleCare+, etc. Many of you will say that we are not taking proper care of our cables. I say that's BS. It's simply a design flaw to have the metal contacts on the outside of the connector, exposing them to the elements such as moisture causing corrosion, especially in areas where it is more humid. It's time for lightning to go and bring USB-C to iPhone, for the good of their customers. USB-C is fast, sleek, sturdy, and the future, and doesn't have the same fatal flaw of lightning.

Reactions: booksacool1

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Still waiting on the big IPad launch that many same rumor sites said was any day. Now it's iPhone is delayed anything to bet page clicks. Fool me one....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.