Alleged iPhone 7 Plus Geekbench Results Reveal 2.37 GHz Dual-Core A10 Chip, 3GB of RAM [Updated: Fake]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An image claiming to show Geekbench test results for an iPhone 7 Plus reveal a 2.37GHz dual-core ARM processor and 3GB of RAM for the device.

The picture, originally posted to Chinese microblogging site Weibo and picked up by Dutch site Techtastic.nl, depicts single- and multi-core results for an iPhone model with the identifying hardware string "iPhone9,2". For comparison's sake, an iPhone 6s Plus has a 1.84GHz dual-core A9 chip, 2GB of memory and the hardware string "iPhone8,2".

If the results are legitimate, a single-core score of 3548 and multi-core score of 6430 show that Apple's 16-nanometer A10 processor easily beats the performance of the A9 in the iPhone 6s Plus, which scores 2490 and 4341, respectively.

On these results, the A10 also outperforms the 2.2GHz A9X chip powering the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which returns Geekbench scores of 3224 and 5466, respectively.

Last week, a DigiTimes report claimed the iPhone 7 Plus will carry 3GB of RAM, supporting two previous claims by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo saying the same thing.

The DigiTimes report stopped short of specifying whether the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 model would also get 3GB of RAM, but it's worth noting that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus both had 2GB of RAM, although Apple could restrict the 3GB to the larger device this time around to differentiate them more.

The image is just the latest in an increasing number of leaks coming out of Chinese websites in recent weeks, suggesting users with links to Apple's supply chain. On Monday, a user of microblogging site Weibo posted images allegedly depicting iPhone 7 logic boards before the device chips had been added.

Apple is expected to reveal both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 7 at a media event next month.

Update: Primate Labs founder John Poole has said the Geekbench results are fake.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 7 Plus Geekbench Results Reveal 2.37 GHz Dual-Core A10 Chip, 3GB of RAM [Updated: Fake]

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I didn't know the A10 chip was this powerful!! Rumours were suggesting it was as powerful as the A9X chip used in the iPad Pro's and I was wondering how good it'd be if it was powering a much smaller device. Here's my answer!!

Reactions: appledefenceforce

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Some impressive numbers there!! Nice performance bump, question is, will there be a noticeable differnce in Daily use

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Meanwhile. The year is 2025 and Apple has just finished its latest keynote unveiling an update to the iPhone 4-inch line:

Presenting iPhone SE9s Pro

The mistakes of the 1990s were repeated.
The company files for bankruptcy six weeks later.
The final nail.

Last edited:

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Some impressive numbers there!! Nice performance bump, question is, will there be a noticeable differnce in Daily use
Doubt it. Mobile apps aren't taking advantage of the power the hardware has. Just look at the iPad Pro, awesome awesome hardware, but apps are lacking.

Reactions: otternonsense

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Samsung Galaxy S7: Single Core - 2152, Multi-core - 6272

Looks like Apple are still prioritising single core performance over cramming in a million cores into a mobile CPU.
Apple's chip architecture is second-to-none. Most tasks run on single-core anyway.

EDIT: this is fake but I bet the A10 chip isn't far off, I bet it's even more poweful!

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hmmm, these chips are quickly catching up to desktop CPU power in every iteration. They'd definitely give mobile i5s a run for their money. And these are chips without fan cooling, running in mobile devices. If Microsoft released a version of Windows 10 that would run on the ARM instruction set...

I honestly think Apple do have ARM Macs in the backburner. Certainly not contemplating a release in the next 5 years, but more than likely a 'what if' scenario. Hypothetically, if they had control over the chip pipeline, development, and design macOS to really scream on these chips -- who knows.

Reactions: orbital~debris

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Meanwhile. The year is 2025 and Apple has just finished its latest keynote unveiling an update to the iPhone line:

Presenting iPhone SE9s Pro

The company files for bankruptcy six weeks later. The final nail.
Wrong. That phone is clearly floating in the air, and Apple makes billions because the new iCar can float in the air as well.
[doublepost=1470739750][/doublepost]
you can't really compare mobile processors and Intel chips that way
Well, you obviously can. It's time that we can connect a monitor and keyboard and use the phone as the worlds tiniest desktop computer.

Hmmm, these chips are quickly catching up to desktop CPU power in every iteration. They'd definitely give mobile i5s a run for their money. And these are chips without fan cooling, running in mobile devices. If Microsoft released a version of Windows 10 that would run on the ARM instruction set...
There was a claim not very long ago that the latest iDevice had a processor more powerful than the processors in 90% of Windows laptops.

syan48306

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Finally some "concrete" rumors rather than just predictions. As we get closer to September its only going to get more and more interesting for iPhone and mac rumors.

Reactions: jardinager

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
This is awesome.. I can't wait for the FCP X port to IOS!!!! And then FCP X on iWatch too!!!!!
You joke, but at some point they're probably going to switch to A-series ARM processors for macs. Witness the latest round of delays from Intel and the resulting stagnation of the Mac lineup.

Reactions: Rastapopoulos

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Impressive. At this point, I guess there's someone in Cuoertino caressing the idea of a notebook-bound A series orocessor.

The 2011 MBP I use for music production scores 9900, and it's 4-core.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple could deliver the fastest processor ever in a smartphone.

And people would complain that it looks the same as their previous phones.

I dunno... I'd rather have the chip engineers get a good workout instead of the designers.

There's that old saying: "It's what's on the INSIDE that counts" :)

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
The difference should be screen, battery and storage (and maybe the smart connector). I felt alot better buying iPhones when these were the defining differences. Buying the normal size iPhone today, feels like buying the subpar product.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, I do hope that if true the 4.7" version gets 3GB of RAM too - it's getting a little too fragmented already let alone giving everything new and better to the larger model. I, like many I expect, would happily pay the same for the smaller device if the specs and features were the same as the + version, it's not that people are always after the cheaper option but just don't want a massive phone.