Alleged Molds Purport to Show Relative Sizes of Apple's 2017 iPhones

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
But that's what it looks like based on the rumours so far; most of the gain is coming from absorbing the top and bottom bezels into the display.
The size of the 7 would only need to be expanded by what, 5-6mm to fit a 16:9 edge-to-edge display? I know rumors keep pointing towards more of a dock for the bottom part of the screen, just pointing out it's not like Apple will be forced into a crazy screen ratio, they could, technically, do it in 16:9 and still cram a 5.8" screen in a phone that size.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Edges. Though I'd argue it works because of the smaller size. I find the significantly larger phones are much more comfortable to hold with rounded edges (as opposed to them having flat edges). I'm sure it's something they tested a lot during design phases. Another design that I must say was probably one of the most comfortable in the hand was the 5C. The tackiness of the plastic made it very easy to grip.
Or...they could slim down the design by removing the side bezels.

The 4.7" model would be the width of the iPhone 5 and the 5.5" model would almost be (it's actually 1mm wider) the width of the 6S.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The size of the 7 would only need to be expanded by what, 5-6mm to fit a 16:9 edge-to-edge display? I know rumors keep pointing towards more of a dock for the bottom part of the screen, just pointing out it's not like Apple will be forced into a crazy screen ratio, they could, technically, do it in 16:9 and still cram a 5.8" screen in a phone that size.
I hope you are right.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Even if the screen is .3 larger then your current screen?
Rumors so far consistently say the usable screen on the iPhone 8 will be 5.1" with the lower .7" reserved for a touch bar, so what the customer will actually be looking at is .4" smaller than the current screen on the plus size iPhones. I will be very surprised if Apple lets app developers use the screen space where the home button is going to reside.

Reactions: BlueNights

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Confused. Aren't all screens measured on the diagonal? If I'm following your logic, are you saying the 7S+ would have a larger area?
What I mean is that a screen may have a longer diagonal, yet have a smaller area, if the aspect ratio is greater.

Reactions: apolloa

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Bummer I was hoping we'd be going to the dual camera on the base 7s. Something to make the 8 look better I suppose. Overall the they look as rumors have pointed to.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Thanks...9to5Mac from Saturday. ;)

It's very interesting to say the least with how these look and with the rumors foating about.
Haha so funny you said this. Lately I've been checking AI and 9to5 instead of just MR and I was impressed on Saturday that 9to5 posted that article on a weekend day. I was surprised other sites waited until Monday, but I guess it makes sense.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
If these prove accurate, I'm hitting the SE next unless the 8 has a really compelling reason not to (OLED and no bezels mean nothing to me). I know I'm bucking the trend, but I want smaller, not larger.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm really not a fan of the vertical camera on the supposedly 7s Plus, especially since that is the model I will most likely purchase.

I'll still wait and see if the SE is updated as well, and go from there.

Randomposter

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Those are molds?
Looks like an aluminum mock up..
Not something you would use to Mold something...
Hell if it was graphite it Could be an electrode used to make a mold....
Isn't a mold a physical opposite of the object being made?
Mold is probably the wrong term. Billet model perhaps

Reactions: FrostdFlakez

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I don't get the iphone 8 hype. It's a better screen in a smaller form factor, yes, but nothing else changed. My 6s+ can do pretty much everything 8 can do...I don't see a reason to upgrade and pay a premium for 8.

ovo6

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
I don't get the iphone 8 hype. It's a better screen in a smaller form factor, yes, but nothing else changed. My 6s+ can do pretty much everything 8 can do...I don't see a reason to upgrade and pay a premium for 8.
Trust me once u use the 7 u gonna hate the 6s of course the 8 gonna be better

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
What I mean is that a screen may have a longer diagonal, yet have a smaller area, if the aspect ratio is greater.
But it could also have a larger area depending on the width of the phone. We don't know. But based on the rumored screen size, and how we generally define screens, 5.8" is larger than 5.5". We can go down the road of pedantry and specificity but generally speaking we consider the screen size to be whatever that diagonal measurement is. I can almost 100% guarantee if the measurements turn out to true, that will be how the phone is marketed - "the largest screen iPhone ever made" (with a crap ton of flourish words:))

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A 5.8-inch screen, with the same footprint as the 4.7-inch iPhone would be HEAVEN! Plus, it will have an OLED screen. Oh boy, that's icing on the cake. Take my money, Apple!
Yeah, if I can get the same display area/resolution as a Plus, in a chassis that's much smaller, and even with losing physical size have better battery life due to the display tech? I'm in line :D

FM Transmitter
- To transmit to one's stereo
-- I do understand why not, progression of technology
This may be the only time I've ever seen an 'FM Transmitter' referred to as "progression of technology". :D

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
I would like it to be smaller with flatter edges, like an iPhone 'five and a half'. The round edges and smooth finish make it difficult to grip.
Apple is on record saying that the reason for the round edges is that they make a phone with that width (compared to the iPhone 4 & 5 width) more comfortable to hold than with the flat edges of the iPhone 4 & 5.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Apple is on record saying that the reason for the round edges is that they make a phone with that width (compared to the iPhone 4 & 5 width) more comfortable to hold than with the flat edges of the iPhone 4 & 5.
In that case I wish they didn't make phones of this width.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Awesome to see the scale. I kinda thought the iPhone 8 would be about the same size as the 7+, just with a bigger screen. Didn't realize how much smaller it would be. I don't mind the size of the plus phones, but it will be cool to have a smaller phone with a bigger screen. One thing I suppose battery life will suffer. I won't like that.

Reactions: MsRandall

FrostdFlakez

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Wow!! same booring design for forth Year.
That iPhone 8 mould looks ugly with that huge camera bulge..to be honest
That big bulge, in comparison to the other two phone molds, could mean that there may NOT actually be a protruding camera lens on the actual phone. The mold seems to imply a cut-out that is different than the other two phones.