Alleged Molds Purport to Show Relative Sizes of Apple's 2017 iPhones

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
I'm all for this new design, just don't put the Touch ID on the rear or anywhere annoying unless something better replaces it.
They could copy the Samsung design. theregister headline "What were they thinking" - looks like Samsung put their fingerprint sensor right besides the camera, so it is just inevitable that unlocking the phone will make the lens dirty.

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Jun 16, 2008
Well, nothing to see in Sept from Apple other than the "iPhone 8". 7s is more of the same. Definitely safe to say the 7s line will carry the current pricing where the 8 will take a leap ahead by as much as $200.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Grain of salt regarding the legitimacy of the molds. If they are legit, two things standout to me. Both point to the same thing. 1. Much smaller frame + bigger screen = sweet. 2. The size differential seems almost exaggerated when viewed in profile. What they point to in my opinion? The bezels on the regular iPhone are yuuge.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Oh the irony when we find out that the cameras on 7s is actually inside the body and not protruding anymore. :rolleyes:

Reactions: apolloa

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Can't justify upgrading from my 6s when its working so well, even for the gimmicks coming with iPhone 8. I am sure the iPhone 6s has a few more revisions of iOS left in it. What I have my eyes set on is a 12 inch iPad Pro, but I am waiting to see what the new updates (long overdue) bring. It better include 3D Touch, True tone and an optimized UI with accessible file system. I am not going to spend near $1,200 for 12 inch iPhone.

That said, depending on how things go, might pick up a iPhone 7s Plus for the larger screen next year.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
It's not the same design- your observation is as relevant as your avatar. This is the screen size of the Plus within a physical footprint of the 4.7".
I guess we all just have different definitions on what "design" is, because I'd agree that the design wouldn't have changed from the 6, just by adding camera/orientation or updating the screen ratio. "Design" is how it looks, not the technical details of it's screen or components.

I like the 6/7 series, so I have no problem with them continuing the general physical design.

Reactions: Sunny1990

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
A 5.8-inch screen, with the same footprint as the 4.7-inch iPhone would be HEAVEN! Plus, it will have an OLED screen. Oh boy, that's icing on the cake. Take my money, Apple!

Reactions: Bane-Thunder

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Can't justify upgrading from my 6s when its working so well, even for the gimmicks coming with iPhone 8.
Having the same feeling. When the 5 came out, it looked so much slicker than the 4S and the 6 obviously had the screen advantage over the 5S.

The 6S feels good enough both in terms of performance and screen size. The 8 will have to look absolutely fantastic to feel worthwhile.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
How else is a phone supposed to look? Circular? Triangle?
Exactly. At this point, I would argue that there's only so many iterations they can do to the design. Look at iMacs and MacBooks. Is there every complaining that they don't get drastic redesigns every two years? Never understood why iPhone seems to be primarily judged on how it looks, rather than on how it functions.

I would like it to be smaller with flatter edges, like an iPhone 'five and a half'. The round edges and smooth finish make it difficult to grip.
The 5/SE is a gorgeous design, especially with that flat edges. Though I'd argue it works because of the smaller size. I find the significantly larger phones are much more comfortable to hold with rounded edges (as opposed to them having flat edges). I'm sure it's something they tested a lot during design phases. Another design that I must say was probably one of the most comfortable in the hand was the 5C. The tackiness of the plastic made it very easy to grip.

applebyte86

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Things that Apple iPhones still do not have, that keeps me from my next phone being an iPhone, and I am sure this iPhone 8 will still not have:

1. FM Transmitter
- To transmit to one's stereo
-- I do understand why not, progression of technology

2. USB Storage type music/photo/video/other media accessable (drag and drop from computer).
- it takes a whole lot of time and pain and agony to sort through files, take files away for added storage, adding files.

3. Headphone jack.
- Nice try but you will see that batteries low on power kill the mobile music revolution on your end for several reasons. One being low battery (which dictates almost all problems); The low battery will make someone have to charge their headphones over and over, and the collateral damage of this is that you would need to charge them once low. You can't do this on the go traditionally. You are adding annoyance.
- Also, people lose small objects like this. Am I ok with just 1 ear bud?

4. A reliable iOS:

Many reasons why.

Notes, it stops in the middle of thousands of them, not where you left off, but in the middle.

When you try to play a Youtube video, the digital audio controlling software will not work sometimes, sometimes meaning every time you go back to that video. Totally mute.

5. Siri / Carplay:

Can't use directions without Siri automatically speaking out my messages. This is a forced privacy violation. I do not want someone knowing my information while they are in my car, let alone a yet unsuspecting Police Officer right next to me OUTSIDE OF MY CAR.
- Additionally, I do not want to see "CARPLAY" loading screen for 10 seconds before I can access my stereo.

6. Password protected Settings menu, or password protected anything.
- I do not want someone to be able to look at my blocked list, or to be able to change ANY settings at all while inside of my phone.
- There are a few things that I do not want someone to be able to get into: Notes, Address book, Photos, Videos, Music; Because, I do not want someone to accidentally or otherwise on purpose, delete, view, create, or edit specific content on any apps,
including social media accounts and emails.

- What if someone wants to borrow my phone for a quick call and you see them not
on the phone, but looking through all of your pictures. You had no failsafe. This happened to me.

Last but not least, 8: Battery.

iPhone needs to charge for a long time after it is depleted; A black screen forever.

We are going backwards in technology if I can pick up a dusty wall mounted rotary telephone made in the early 1900's and call someone immediately versus using an iPhone and taking 10 to 30 minutes to wait to see the Apple logo.

I demand progress in this respect alone. It is highly pre-jouvenile
that this is what our technology has to offer, the biggest computer company in the world has the poorest quality.

- Dangerous; What if I am in an emergency, maybe life threatening? Oops, I have to wait.

- Family friends co workers bosses appointments, all on hold because of waiting for the black screen to become a home screen.
Oops, I have to wait.

- Annoying.

- The battery will still deplete in a short time frame.

I will not wait.

Last edited:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Assuming Apple takes the Samsung lead and changes the screen ratio from 16:9, sure. But that doesn't have to be the case.
But that's what it looks like based on the rumours so far; most of the gain is coming from absorbing the top and bottom bezels into the display.

Applefanben

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
A 5.8-inch screen, with the same footprint as the 4.7-inch iPhone would be HEAVEN! Plus, it will have an OLED screen. Oh boy, that's icing on the cake. Take my money, Apple!
It is not the same footprint. You are going to have a function area at the bottom of the screen. More likely it will be in the neighborhood of 5.2-5.3-inch useable space (except for when a video is playing that is.

Reactions: apolloa and koigirl

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
It is not the same footprint. You are going to have a function area at the bottom of the screen. More likely it will be in the neighborhood of 5.2-5.3-inch useable space (except for when a video is playing that is.
Has this been confirmed? Or are you basing it off of rumors?