Alleged Molds Purport to Show Relative Sizes of Apple's 2017 iPhones

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
This. I keep asking but no one seems to have an explanation as to how it's an improvement to remove a bottom bezel but replace it with a digital task bar that monopolizes the increased screen space.
I'm not sure how this would work? iOS 11 for iPhones is going to have a hard coded task bar at the bottom? Nothing about Apple surprises me, but if they are going to go to all this work to cram a larger screen in, why would they then make it so the task bar won't drop out if playing a game, or be part of the dock when swiping up?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
To be honest I think the opposite. More width is only gonna make things look bigger, while more height is gonna provide more utility such as more space for content instead of UI elements, or more UI elements visible without making it feel cramped
Not sure how that could be a logical conclusion, but everyone has their own opinion.

Think iPhone 4S to iPhone 5. Nothing changed except height. An additional row of icons, slightly less scrolling while going through webpages/facebook app, etc. This will be the same for iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 (5.5inch), if only height is increased. From iPhone 5S to iPhone 6 and 6+, width was increased, and therefore keyboard got slightly more spacious, apps got more spacious, width increases flexibility (in UI) and spaciousness.

It depends on the aspect ratio, but watch reviews of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and you'll see that people are already experiencing that the screen doesn't feel much bigger than the last, because it's only taller. Less scrolling, otherwise no real change.

Last edited:

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2013
the third "even more expensive" model is a big mistake.
it will make other 2 versions look and feel immediately inferior and people who buy them will never feel the satisfaction they deserve after buying the new iPhone.
pure greed and a real example of anti consumerism, if they keep all the goodies like edge to edge and OLED only for that version.others are offering those features with the standard new models.

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Just curious am I the only one that would like to see a phone maker keep the standard video ratio of 16:9 withe these new bezeless screens and make the phone less long? Would have seriously applauded Apple had they gone that root but looks like they are just following everyone else's lead.

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
Touch ID in the power button would certainly be better than on the back.

It seems that way, and its might end up being so, as many iPhone users already hit the power button regularly to wake their devices...but a few Android phones have already done it and they moved on from it because of how awkward it was. I wasn't a fan of it, but then again I never used it on a regular basis. I just tried it out once.

Plus, I tend to lock my iPhones often, which is done by pressing the power button. If its on the power button, that would make locking the device awkward. This is not a problem with phones have have rear touch ID like the pixel.

Back doesn't seem better initially, but I preferred i to my experience with the power button especially when it comes to turning the phone into sleep mode.

But if its on the back or the power button, I will be disappointed...really hoping Apple can pull through with integrated display touch ID even if it means slightly delaying the phone.
[doublepost=1495489788][/doublepost]
How can such a thin power button read fingerprints?

Also, if the fingerprint scanner does end up on the back, is it such a huge issue when the phone may also have facial recognition on the front?

I would prefer it in the screen of course, but if there's an alternative way to unlock the phone, sans contact, then what's the problem?

You'd think the iPhone 7+ would take a sales hit with the 8 along side it?
The other issue is locking the phone...how many of us put our iPhones into sleep mode/lock the phone by pressing the power button?

I do, and if it is the same button that unlocks the device that would present a user interface problem, in my mind anyways. That was why it was dropped in android phones that tried that out.

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The other issue is locking the phone...how many of us put our iPhones into sleep mode/lock the phone by pressing the power button?

I do, and if it is the same button that unlocks the device that would present a user interface problem, in my mind anyways. That was why it was dropped in android phones that tried that out.
That shouldn't be a issue because if the phone is already unlocked, the fingerprint sensor would be deactivated anyway.

sinesquaresaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
I'm all for this new design, just don't put the Touch ID on the rear or anywhere annoying unless something better replaces it.
Ergonomically speaking the center back position for a finger print reader is much more natural. Hence why so many Android phones out there place it in that location. I have an iPhone and an Nexus 5X that both get used heavily in day to day activities. I find that unlocking the Nexus is easier with the fingerprint reader on the back.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
The new design is still going to have a bigger screen than the current Plus. Why do you just want a bigger physical device?
Ok- I hope this is the case. Do you mean it is supposed to have a larger usable screen?

TheIntruder

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2008
Is it just me, or does the "8" appear to be ever so slightly thicker? I'd gladly trade some thickness for better hand feel, no camera bump, and a larger battery.

And in my perfect world, they'd move the power button back to the top. Making it even larger isn't going to help those situations where you accidentally put the phone to sleep while trying to adjust the volume.

TheHurryKayne

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Too many practical reasons to take touch id on the front, you can't use while placed on a flat surface and you can't use it while mounted in a car, i saw more probably if not under the screen to be on the power button, then...are these flush cameras?

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Ergonomically speaking the center back position for a finger print reader is much more natural. Hence why so many Android phones out there place it in that location. I have an iPhone and an Nexus 5X that both get used heavily in day to day activities. I find that unlocking the Nexus is easier with the fingerprint reader on the back.
Nothing against you, but I wish I could down vote this, lol. Instead, I'll leave a comment:

DOWNVOTED!

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
That shouldn't be a issue because if the phone is already unlocked, the fingerprint sensor would be deactivated anyway.
Hopefully it isn't an issue because apple will embed it in the screen :p
[doublepost=1495563432][/doublepost]
Nothing against you, but I wish I could down vote this, lol. Instead, I'll leave a comment:
It's not bad when you get used to it. Thumb is ergonomically better though, and I say that as someone who enjoys rear touch ID on android phones.