Alleged Molds Purport to Show Relative Sizes of Apple's 2017 iPhones

mazz0

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I still think the 6SSS models will need a price cut if they expect to compete with the latest Galaxy, and the 8 can't be significantly more expensive. Otherwise Apple will just look like they're a generation behind.

vandeetz

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
Was really hoping for an 8 plus. Sure the new screen will be larger, but for those of us used to the current plus form factor, an even larger screen stuffed into a similarly sized phone would be what I was hoping for.

That way you'd still have a larger screened premium phone alongside the standard iPhone. I hope this isn't a general plan to decrease the number of offerings for larger phones in the future. The plus models are the reason I came back into fold after using Windows phone and Android for a few years

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
Doesn't the plus look to be way longer than the other 2 in the picture from the side, or is it just the way it looks?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
WoW!! same booring design for forth Year.
That iPhone 8 mold looks ugly with that huge camera bulge..to be honest
Why are you being so critical of a mold? Then don't purchase it if it's too "Boring" for you. What are you expecting iPhone 8 to look liKe?

Why don't you give Apple a chance to actually debut what they have in store versus judging everything based on a mold. Seems more logical to me.

Last edited:

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
The camera cut out also looks bigger than the plus, I know the flash is in middle but it seems a bit wider, hope it justifes being that big and not just the same size sensor as the regular 7, maybe finally a jump to 1/2 sensor?

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
The second and third images only got released today, as far as I can tell.
You are correct, my mistake! Just the original was reported on so thank you. :)

Haha so funny you said this. Lately I've been checking AI and 9to5 instead of just MR and I was impressed on Saturday that 9to5 posted that article on a weekend day. I was surprised other sites waited until Monday, but I guess it makes sense.
I actually go to 9to5 on the weekends because they still report some things that might come about while I mix them and MR on the weekdays! :cool:

darcyf

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would really love to see a near borderless iPhone SE sized phone. I am sitting on a 5s right now waiting either for it to die or for Apple to come out with something that is a real upgrade.
Ditto. I've yet to see anything in an iPhone that would compel me to spend money and ditch my 5s.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
It is not the same footprint. You are going to have a function area at the bottom of the screen. More likely it will be in the neighborhood of 5.2-5.3-inch useable space (except for when a video is playing that is.
This. I keep asking but no one seems to have an explanation as to how it's an improvement to remove a bottom bezel but replace it with a digital task bar that monopolizes the increased screen space.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
This. I keep asking but no one seems to have an explanation as to how it's an improvement to remove a bottom bezel but replace it with a digital task bar that monopolizes the increased screen space.
Because the screen diagonal myth is the new megahertz myth. A higher number must be better right? :)

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok
Those are molds?
Looks like an aluminum mock up..
Not something you would use to Mold something...
Hell if it was graphite it Could be an electrode used to make a mold....
Isn't a mold a physical opposite of the object being made?
Mold is probably the wrong term. Billet model perhaps
Exactly. These are not molds. They are positives. We'd call them plugs. You could use these to make molds.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
how smaller will the 4.7 oled will be then? the size of current 5s? without bezels?

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
How can such a thin power button read fingerprints?

Also, if the fingerprint scanner does end up on the back, is it such a huge issue when the phone may also have facial recognition on the front?

I would prefer it in the screen of course, but if there's an alternative way to unlock the phone, sans contact, then what's the problem?

You'd think the iPhone 7+ would take a sales hit with the 8 along side it?
Would you really trust any facial recognition on a phone? Folks are unlocking the Samsung by putting a picture of the persons face in front of the phone. Plus say apple does do that but some home manage to know it's a real person and not a picture. Then what happens when you're in low light or in the dark?

ovo6

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Phone so fat all cuz that stupid wireless charging that I will never use

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
That is one huge camera cut out
Hope it's a sign that Apple finally decided to offer an iPhone with competitive camera hardware.

We need a larger camera sensor. Apple are so far behind on this it's a joke.

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The new design is still going to have a bigger screen than the current Plus. Why do you just want a bigger physical device?
Because if you get a display that is just taller, then it doesn't feel like a larger screen, it simply feels like you have to scroll less on pages. Videos have a certain benefit of course, but texting, apps; nothing really has better utilization except for less scrolling required. Width generally increases utility, but it also decreases ease of use when handling (physically).

Aleh

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Because if you get a display that is just taller, then it doesn't feel like a larger screen, it simply feels like you have to scroll less on pages. Videos have a certain benefit of course, but texting, apps; nothing really has better utilization except for less scrolling required. Width generally increases utility, but it also decreases ease of use when handling (physically).
To be honest I think the opposite. More width is only gonna make things look bigger, while more height is gonna provide more utility such as more space for content instead of UI elements, or more UI elements visible without making it feel cramped