Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdexina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Portugal
Well this happened...
3 days after having, and believe me without not much heavy-use (except when installing the apps), I've already a "light" burn-in on my screen... It has the lines of Reddit's Apollo App and I can see them when I open a dark grey app (e.g.: clock) on a dark room.

Nothing major, but it drove me like crazy, because I didn't even use it non-stop.
Called Apple, they will send me a replacement, but now I'm thinking if it was a defective screen, or if it's so so easy to burn-in the screen...

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
No, you didn’t... image retention is normal for amoled screens. What you are seeing isn’t permanent. It will go away.
I was afraid of this. Everyone is going to be meticulously inspecting their screens and at the first hint of retention they will be crying foul.

xdexina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Portugal
No, you didn’t... image retention is normal for amoled screens. What you are seeing isn’t permanent. It will go away.
I was afraid of this. Everyone is going to be meticulously inspecting their screens and at the first hint of retention they will be crying foul.
Yet I thought the same, but turn it off completely all night, and yet it's still there

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
Just like plasma screens, amoled screens will shed the retained image after using the display, not by sitting idle. The more you use the display, the less prone it is the image retention, and the faster retained images disappear.
Relax and use the display. The faint images will disappear.

John_JD_Doe

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
With a grey screen I can see a rectangle in the lower right corner. I don’t remember using an app with that disposition. Is it burn in, image retention? Should I get a replacement while I am in the first 14 days?

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I guess if there's any kind of "Gate" it'll be "OLED-gate" or "BurnIn-Gate" on the X.

Time will tell.

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
Coming from android phones, the biggest reason for burn in is having the screen brightness too high and being on the same screen too long. Keep auto brightness on. Welcome to the world of OLED

Reactions: haruhiko

Contra1971

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
San Antonio
Well this happened...
3 days after having, and believe me without not much heavy-use (except when installing the apps), I've already a "light" burn-in on my screen... It has the lines of Reddit's Apollo App and I can see them when I open a dark grey app (e.g.: clock) on a dark room.

Nothing major, but it drove me like crazy, because I didn't even use it non-stop.
Called Apple, they will send me a replacement, but now I'm thinking if it was a defective screen, or if it's so so easy to burn-in the screen...

Did it drive you LIKE crazy or actually crazy I need clarification please.

TheSteves

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Planet Earth
Well this happened...

Pictures or didn’t happen

xdexina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Portugal
It's complicated to take a photo in the right scenario, to show it. But it's there! When I put it next to my other X it show...
but as bambooshots says it's complicated to get it on photo

Reactions: ABC5S

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
This why samsung cap screen brightness in static (manual) mode and only allow full brightness in auto mode.

My 2.5 yr old S6 has no burn in at all.

Samsung make and manage fantastic oled screens.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I have a really tiny hairline scratch on my old iPhone 6 and it drives me nuts to this day. Cant imagine living with burn in after 3 days. I dont even need to see it, just the thought of knowing that its there would drive me nuts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.