Already damaged ion-x glass

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CrAkD, May 1, 2015.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I thought I would be fine because I've never scratched or shattered an iPhone screen but as people have pointed out iPhones aren't strapped to our wrists. I was coming upstairs from my basement and my watch lightly grazed the concrete wall. It was literally nothing. I couldn't believe when I looked and saw the corner cracked. I should of went with SS I'm pissed. Anyone know what apple charges to replace a screen? Inc won't bother until stock is more abundant prob get this fixed and sell it and buy SS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Damn man, that's nuts. At least it's at the corner where it doesn't get in the way of the display.

My rationale behind getting the Sport was to wait until Gen 2 and to see if I really could find the Watch useful. So far it's been great and I now would feel weird without it.

3. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Sorry - that sucks -

Call Apple tell them what happened - since it's a new product they may want to send it out to be tested to make sure it didn't break due to a manufacturing anomaly. Highly doubt it but you could get lucky.

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

5. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

That was mine too figured if I loved it I'd get a SS gen 2 but if this happened in the first week I'm scared I back my watches MUCH worse than this. It was nothing

----------

I never buy ac cause I sell before the first year is up

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Eh...don't lost sleep over it. You don't know how the SS screen would have fared either. Sure, it may not scratch easily. That doesn't mean a hit at an odd angle wouldn't crack or chip it the same. The damage is in such an un-noticeable area that you may forget about it in day-to-day use. Watches and parts will get more common, not less. In a few months you can have it repaired. I'd guess for about $150, unless you have Applecare. Either way, its disheartening, but at least you have a functioning watch to pass the time with :)

7. Azzin macrumors 68040

8. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah my only worry is the crack going to jeopardize the water resistance? I can see light threw it. I don't shower with it or anything but all I need is rain to get in there and kill it.

9. Phil Holland macrumors regular

With demand such as it is, I bet you could eBay it as is and get replacement cost.

Someone with the $$$ would be crazy enough to do it.

10. nfl46 macrumors 604

Sell it on eBay and you'll still get at least $500 for it! Then purchase the SS version. Problem solved. Thank me later!

11. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Your photos don't show the light penetration details you mention. Anyway, again, I'd say you're OK. Unless you are submerging the watch, chronic water invasion wouldn't be a worry I would have. Surface tension tends to keep it at bay over small openings. When the market opens up you'll be able to restore its pristine condition with some ease. Until then, just be mindful and I suspect you will be fine in that regard.

12. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Yep, she's farked.

13. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

First year doesn't cover accidental damage which I can see happening more often with the watch.

14. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I am not sure if sapphire would have not cracked. I am sorry this happened, you got very unlucky where the concrete hit the watch. Gut feeling is that if you would have grazed the face you might have been fine.

15. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Minus the 10% final value fee eBay charges and then PayPal's cut... Not sitting so pretty @ $500.

16. nfl46 macrumors 604

There's always CL and Swappa. ;)

17. trek360 macrumors 6502

Sorry, dude. That hurts.
    You may be able to buy AC over the phone since it is still functioning. I didn't think it covered cosmetic damage anyway but if it developed into anything else it may then kick in.

18. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Scuff on mine.. would've already exchanged for SS model if they actually had exchange stock. Ion-X is super weak

19. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

You can get a refund for unused time on AC+, or you can transfer it when you sell your device for more money.

May not make sense on an iPhone or iPad if you're careful with those, but on the Watch it seems like a good idea.

20. bikermahn macrumors newbie

You can just call and add applecare+, you have 60 days I think to do this.

21. mistersandman macrumors member

22. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Why wouldn't the first year cover accidental damage?

23. ChrisH10 macrumors newbie

Yeah, what's stopping you from getting Apple Care now?

24. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Like others said, this is a good time to turn to eBay. I hate it when people sell brand new unopened devices to make profit, but this is a different situation.