Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought I would be fine because I've never scratched or shattered an iPhone screen but as people have pointed out iPhones aren't strapped to our wrists. I was coming upstairs from my basement and my watch lightly grazed the concrete wall. It was literally nothing. I couldn't believe when I looked and saw the corner cracked. I should of went with SS I'm pissed. Anyone know what apple charges to replace a screen? Inc won't bother until stock is more abundant prob get this fixed and sell it and buy SS

290027a3a8e36b3ab72c12953252974e.jpg

145dd3deb8a509f5a12478afafeef972.jpg

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
Damn man, that's nuts. At least it's at the corner where it doesn't get in the way of the display.

My rationale behind getting the Sport was to wait until Gen 2 and to see if I really could find the Watch useful. So far it's been great and I now would feel weird without it.

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Sorry - that sucks -

Call Apple tell them what happened - since it's a new product they may want to send it out to be tested to make sure it didn't break due to a manufacturing anomaly. Highly doubt it but you could get lucky.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Damn man, that's nuts. At least it's at the corner where it doesn't get in the way of the display.

My rationale behind getting the Sport was to wait until Gen 2 and to see if I really could find the Watch useful. So far it's been great and I now would feel weird without it.

That was mine too figured if I loved it I'd get a SS gen 2 but if this happened in the first week I'm scared I back my watches MUCH worse than this. It was nothing

----------

Claim on Applecare +?

I never buy ac cause I sell before the first year is up

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
.. I should of went with SS I'm pissed. Anyone know what apple charges to replace a screen?
Eh...don't lost sleep over it. You don't know how the SS screen would have fared either. Sure, it may not scratch easily. That doesn't mean a hit at an odd angle wouldn't crack or chip it the same. The damage is in such an un-noticeable area that you may forget about it in day-to-day use. Watches and parts will get more common, not less. In a few months you can have it repaired. I'd guess for about $150, unless you have Applecare. Either way, its disheartening, but at least you have a functioning watch to pass the time with :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Eh...don't lost sleep over it. You don't know how the SS screen would have fared either. Sure, it may not scratch easily. That doesn't mean a hit at an odd angle wouldn't crack or chip it the same. The damage is in such an un-noticeable area that you may forget about it in day-to-day use. Watches and parts will get more common, not less. In a few months you can have it repaired. I'd guess for about $150, unless you have Applecare. Either way, its disheartening, but at least you have a functioning watch to pass the time with :)

Yeah my only worry is the crack going to jeopardize the water resistance? I can see light threw it. I don't shower with it or anything but all I need is rain to get in there and kill it.

Phil Holland

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Dallas
With demand such as it is, I bet you could eBay it as is and get replacement cost.

Someone with the $$$ would be crazy enough to do it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Sell it on eBay and you'll still get at least $500 for it! Then purchase the SS version. Problem solved. Thank me later!

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Yeah my only worry is the crack going to jeopardize the water resistance? I can see light threw it. I don't shower with it or anything but all I need is rain to get in there and kill it.
Your photos don't show the light penetration details you mention. Anyway, again, I'd say you're OK. Unless you are submerging the watch, chronic water invasion wouldn't be a worry I would have. Surface tension tends to keep it at bay over small openings. When the market opens up you'll be able to restore its pristine condition with some ease. Until then, just be mindful and I suspect you will be fine in that regard.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

Yep, she's farked.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
That was mine too figured if I loved it I'd get a SS gen 2 but if this happened in the first week I'm scared I back my watches MUCH worse than this. It was nothing

----------

First year doesn't cover accidental damage which I can see happening more often with the watch.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I am not sure if sapphire would have not cracked. I am sorry this happened, you got very unlucky where the concrete hit the watch. Gut feeling is that if you would have grazed the face you might have been fine.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Sell it on eBay and you'll still get at least $500 for it! Then purchase the SS version. Problem solved. Thank me later!

Minus the 10% final value fee eBay charges and then PayPal's cut... Not sitting so pretty @ $500.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011

----------

Sorry, dude. That hurts.
You may be able to buy AC over the phone since it is still functioning. I didn't think it covered cosmetic damage anyway but if it developed into anything else it may then kick in.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
T

You can get a refund for unused time on AC+, or you can transfer it when you sell your device for more money.

May not make sense on an iPhone or iPad if you're careful with those, but on the Watch it seems like a good idea.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Like others said, this is a good time to turn to eBay. I hate it when people sell brand new unopened devices to make profit, but this is a different situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.