Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
OP, that means you were only 12 years old when you watched the first iPhone being revealed :eek:

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
im getting my first iphone next week and i'm 21, when i was 16 i had a Siemens MC60 and liked it

foto64ag.jpg

Good Grades = Good Job = iPhone

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
I didn't have a phone when I was 16. If I was likely to need one then my mum had a 'spare' that she would lend me. I wasn't allowed to carry it every day though.

I hear 12 year olds have phones these days :confused:

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I'm 16 and have an iPhone. If your parents can't afford to get you one, don't even think about it because you won't be able to afford it.

Just do good in school and life will reward itself back to you.

:apple:OUT

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think you should be thankful for all the things that you have. I don't mean to sound like one of those people that bring up Africa is every situation to make you feel better about the things that you own, but many people out there, much older than 16 don't own an iPhone. Don't be so obsessed over a phone. Instead try to focus on ways you can be successful in the future so you can buy all the Apple products you want. Like do well in school and work hard at that. Material things like phones will always come and go, try to focus on things that have real value.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Sorry to brag but I am a 14 year old and I could afford a iPhone and iPad (intact I own both) but can't afford to monthly bill. Anyways back on subject. Op are your parents like around to give any support or anything I mean cause the people on vesicular probably will charge the same price for a brand new one

You're not even old enough to have a job yet, unless you're a paper boy or a celebrity. It sounds like your parents can afford an iPhone or iPad, but aren't willing to pay the monthly bills.

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I'm 16 and have an iPhone. If your parents can't afford to get you one, don't even think about it because you won't be able to afford it.

Just do good in school and life will reward itself back to you.

:apple:OUT

Wish it were that easy, I have my degree and NOBODY is hiring :(

thinkpatience

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
OP, whats your hourly wage? Do you have bills? Do you buy drugs (lol, they can get pricey)? How often do you work?

I mean, seriously, an iPod Touch starts at $230. I'm sure you can get a used one for cheaper on eBay. When I was 15-16, I was working a local supermarket making 7.00/hr for maybe about 20hrs a week. Maybe more hours on weekends. My first big purchase when I was younger was a Canon Camera for about $500. I made the money in about month/half. I never had lots of money when I was a kid, but I always had money because I always found odd jobs to make it (Lawn mowing, babysitting, and racking leafs). Don't get an iPhone, it cost me $120 a month. If you can't afford the phone, you definitely can't afford the bill.

And as far as a computer, by the time your in college I'm sure they will end up giving you a Macbook Pro (At least that's what my school did). It seems pretty common now-a-days. It's included in tuition, but eh - whats an extra 2,000 dollars on that $20,000+ student loan anyways... lol

P.S. You're effed if you get a credit card, and definitely don't even try Apple's stupid effing Barclay Card.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
@OP Don't worry about never owning one. Trust me money comes and goes. I am 26, and I'm DIRT poor. Literally I live in a trailor park. I struggle to pay my $200/month rent. There was a time when I made better money, and I saved and scrimped, and my dream of owning a Macbook Pro came true. These days, I make alot less, but I still manage to get things I like.

The point is, if you work hard, and are money-wise, you can get the things you want, just probably not the moment you want them.

damirski

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I have a ferrari, I have an Iphone 4:cool:, but I am 36, and when I was 16 I was working 2 jobs, bought me a ticket to USA, and worked 3 jobs:( for a couple of years, and now I can afford both of those luxuries....:)
This happens only in USA, nowhere else.....
Love this country........:D:D:D
Oh yes, all this with no college degree, now I have applied for college, even though I am 36, but I guess it is never too late...

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You have a point but I am a very impatient person and usually when I become extremely impatient I do everything possible to get my way, unfortunately this time I am all out of options. As far as realtionships with people are I am not a very talkative person and I was dating this girl but thats a whole other story, its just me for the moment.
If you're that impatient you need to learn some discipline and you'll get much farther and be happier. Also, I wasn't talking about relationships with girls. I'm talking about relationships with people you care about, your family, friends, etc. That's what matters.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Get a 3Gs, beggers cant be choosers. Im sure u could find a great deal for one somewhere. Stop being so impatient. If u cabt afford it, u probably dont need it.

JASApplications

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2010
Scarborough, United Kingdom
I have a ferrari, I have an Iphone 4:cool:, but I am 36, and when I was 16 I was working 2 jobs, bought me a ticket to USA, and worked 3 jobs:( for a couple of years, and now I can afford both of those luxuries....:)
This happens only in USA, nowhere else.....
Love this country........:D:D:D
Oh yes, all this with no college degree, now I have applied for college, even though I am 36, but I guess it is never too late...
Which Ferrari if you don't mind me asking?
But you should have got a Lamborghini! haha! :)

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I didn't have a phone when I was 16. If I was likely to need one then my mum had a 'spare' that she would lend me. I wasn't allowed to carry it every day though.

I hear 12 year olds have phones these days :confused:

When I was 16, at least we finally had a rotary dial on the one phone in the house. :D

apple3g040193

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I know how you feel im 17 but when i was 15 i really wanted an iphone 3g at the time so i got a job at mcdonalds and saved up which doesn't take that long and for the monthy bill i worked out a deal with my mom she pays for the minutes i pay 30 a month for the extra charges. And just keep that going its tough but it does work.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
yeah get a touch...if you can't save up for an iphne how are you gonna pay the monthly bill?

2x360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Very few 16 year olds can afford an iPhone and the month-to-month plan. Go to college, get a job, get yourself settled, and save up.

What kind of part time job do you have now?

I dont plan to go on the month to month (at least not on att with its lousy reception). I planning to jailbreak it and get it on tmobile, simple mobile or a ispot from clear (since the iphone has the mics and GPS system unlike the ipod touch, I wont need accessories to get those functions) while still keeping the opition open if I would ever want to go back on to GSM if att would improve their service or another gsm network is built say as I dont know, vodaphone, they wanted the cingular spectrum but didnt recieve it and still want to be in the US without a "partnership" with verizon and want to just sell their shares with verizon and crate their own rival network like how they want in China currently.

2x360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Get a 3Gs, beggers cant be choosers. Im sure u could find a great deal for one somewhere. Stop being so impatient. If u cabt afford it, u probably dont need it.

The 3GS is alright but I am not going to settle for the 3GS, I will get the iphone 4 (or better) sooner or later mark my words, I am not a beggar, I am simply disgusted that Apple/Att make it so difficult to get an iphone in the US.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
The 3GS is alright but I am not going to settle for the 3GS, I will get the iphone 4 (or better) sooner or later mark my words, I am not a beggar, I am simply disgusted that Apple/Att make it so difficult to get an iphone in the US.

Uh difficult? All you do is walk in to the store and buy it it can't be any easier.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Wish it were that easy, I have my degree and NOBODY is hiring :(

Me too. Well, I'm working a job in my related field, but nothing near what I would like to be doing (I'm a certified teacher who is currently substitute teaching because no school districts are hiring around here).

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I know there is nothing you can do, but don't let it be a drag on your life. I'm saying that as honest as possible; I'm not trying to sound like a jerk.

isaac65

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you can't even afford to buy a used iPhone on craigslist, how do you expect to pay for the monthly bill if you manage to get someone to trade with you or whatever?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.