Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What do people need to sync their iPads to desktops for? I use the cloud for everything

Many reasons, at least a few that I know are:

Because cloud costs money after a tiny amount for free, and committing to pay for online storage in perpetuity isn't cost effective.

Because cloud is not very secure. If you are in a field that has strict data security requirements, like medical, law, finance, or government, then storing PII or other similarly sensitive files in dropbox or the like is downright negligent, but properly secure cloud storage services are very expensive.

Because sometimes you need your files offline.

Because making a backup of files in cloud storage requires a desktop/laptop anyway.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I am one who whines about the whiners that appear every time that Apple introduces a new product. Despite the numerous threads about is the IPP a laptop replacement I learned something. I am one who thinks that the IPP is perfectly capable, performance wise, of being a laptop replacement. What is missing are the Pro apps. Yes, you can have iOS Pro apps, they will just be different that OS X apps. So, I thought, just sit back and wait for the Pro apps to arrive for the IPP and the future Air 3. What I learned is that many Pro app developers are dissatisfied with the iTunes App Store experience, i.e. - not being able to provide a customer experience like a trial period, charging appropriate fees for their apps, upgrade policies, etc. So, there appears to be a current impasse for the the development of Pro apps. Once that impasse is resolved then the IPP will be a laptop replacement.

Reactions: Codeseven

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Some people greatly overestimate what they use a computer for. Not everyone, but some.

Years of owning a computer can convince you you need one.

It just needs the dev support on a more professional level. If I make a list of things (actual task) I do with my iMac that my iPad can't do, its a lot shorter than the things it can do.

The majority of the time I could emulate what I'm doing on my Mac with my iPad. For example...

Mac

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 9.51.52 AM.png

iPad

IMG_0201.PNG

If it just had the input control of a mouse I feel I could make a much better argument because admittedly it feels cumbersome (but not terrible) compared to an actual computer. Plus there is the fact of how I got that movie on there, and how I transferred it to my iPad but that doesn't take away from how far its come.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
People who are NOT tech savvy might think iPad Pro is a laptop replacement
People who can't afford expensive laptop might want iPad Pro
iPad Pro is great for business or IT or artist.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
People who are NOT tech savvy might think iPad Pro is a laptop replacement

I've worked in the IT field for over fifteen years; I have several industry certifications, have led and managed network engineering teams designing, upgrading, and maintaining military network infrastructures, and am currently an IT manager for one of the largest commands in the Army.

People who can't afford expensive laptop might want iPad Pro

I own a 2015 13" rMBP, had the 2014 and 2012 MBA, and my wife has a 2013 rMBP. I can afford expensive laptops.

Conclusion: generalizations are silly.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I've worked in the IT field for over fifteen years; I have several industry certifications, have led and managed network engineering teams designing, upgrading, and maintaining military network infrastructures, and am currently an IT manager for one of the largest commands in the Army.

I own a 2015 13" rMBP, had the 2014 and 2012 MBA, and my wife has a 2013 rMBP. I can afford expensive laptops.

I for one can't afford any expensive Apple devices just because many companies are afraid of hiring deaf people like me. I got a 2012 rMBP from school the state paid it for me. I got an iPad Air through AT&T new Next that I can pay monthly installation with my iPhone 6 Plus. I feel like the taxpayers paid them for me cuz I'm a deaf with no decent job anyway.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Some people greatly overestimate what they use a computer for. Not everyone, but some.

Years of owning a computer can convince you you need one.

It just needs the dev support on a more professional level. If I make a list of things (actual task) I do with my iMac that my iPad can't do its a lot short then the things it can do.

I do different things on my iMac than I do on my iPad; somethings one but not the other can do. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all device.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
If you are on macrumors then of course it's not a real laptop replacement FOR YOU and it will likely never be - if apple did make the ipad a true replacement it would be killing a huge portion of its own business by doing so. For many though (even possibly the majority) it is a laptop replacement.. think of all the people who just use their computer to check the web, comment on forums, check email, etc.. This does not mean the ipad is just for casual users though. With the addition of the pencil I believe the pro will become a great companion device for any professional that requires it, especially with astropad.

If those people bothered to do a little research, they'd know that tablets have already replaced laptops for millions of people. The traditional computer business has been in decline for a few years now with no signs of that trend reversing.

What bothers me more are the silly iPad Pro and MS Surface comparisons. One is a true multitouch tablet with some laptop-like capabilities while the other is a quasi-laptop with some tablet-like capabilities. The value prop shouldn't be which product does more from a sheer features standpoint, but which product excels at what the user needs. Unfortunately, this fundamental point seems completely lost on many posters here as well as most reviewers/bloggers.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
What do people need to sync their iPads to desktops for? I use the cloud for everything
Do you feel that everyone should do what you do? I could say "What do people need to sync their iPads to the cloud for? I use the desktop for everything"

Reasons can be:
Desktop is faster
Desktop doesnt charge for for GB storage per month
Desktop allows me multiple backups to other drives

Beats me why some posters take their situation as the default standard that everyone else should comply with

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Hence, why I say that the PC comment was overall, total, 100%.

The posts about I use it for this and that is a partial replacement. I could say, and its true, that when the first smartphone, well before the iPhone, came out that can do more than call and text, that it could display email, that replaced the PC. It did, for those few minutes some days when that function was used. Thats the context most here seem to use. My motorbike has replaced my car. (Did I forget to say, when I used it yesterday instead of my car"

When TC said the IPP can replace a laptop for many, what did he mean? Many laptops are replaced permanently, many users cease to use a laptop, many laptops or users reduce usage on a laptop? And what is many? Vague, and marketing.

In the PC comment he said "Why buy a PC" that clearly implies no need to buy a PC as an IPP can do it all. No most or many stated there, hence we have a proliferation of these laptop threads

Whats more the issue is how much laptop tasks are now available on an IPP as compared to the Air2 and earlier laptops.
Larger screen helps, but iOS is the limiting factor. So unless Pro apps, as in full featured apps come into play, and unless iOS reduces/removes its own restrictions, its a partial laptop.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Everything has context. You're just digging for reasons to be critical.
Not so. Why buy a PC is clear. Its not vague, its not up to interpretation. It means, to everyone (not many) why get a PC when you can use an IPP instead. I'm not being critical, or looking to be critical, but when a vivd statement is made, as compared to a for many statement, which is vague and can easily be defended as ok to say, thats different.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I am one who whines about the whiners that appear every time that Apple introduces a new product. Despite the numerous threads about is the IPP a laptop replacement I learned something. I am one who thinks that the IPP is perfectly capable, performance wise, of being a laptop replacement. What is missing are the Pro apps. Yes, you can have iOS Pro apps, they will just be different that OS X apps. So, I thought, just sit back and wait for the Pro apps to arrive for the IPP and the future Air 3. What I learned is that many Pro app developers are dissatisfied with the iTunes App Store experience, i.e. - not being able to provide a customer experience like a trial period, charging appropriate fees for their apps, upgrade policies, etc. So, there appears to be a current impasse for the the development of Pro apps. Once that impasse is resolved then the IPP will be a laptop replacement.
That will be a huge step forward. In recent years since SJ's passing, iOS has changed, it has garnered old Android features, aka removing arcane iOS restrictions, which has allowed more freedom, and normal ways to do normal things, instead of no way, or a cumbersome way. As that improves so that all tasks are there, without working to make it work, and ideally mouse support, that will be great. Many will keep the desktop and laptop for sheer convenience, but the iPad then, will be a laptop if you choose it to be. Same as a 3 door hatchback compared to an SUV, they can both do everything, although each s more suitable in certain circumstances, but the key is the hatchback can do everything if required

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015

Do you feel that everyone should do what you do? I could say "What do people need to sync their iPads to the cloud for? I use the desktop for everything"

Reasons can be:
Desktop is faster
Desktop doesnt charge for for GB storage per month
Desktop allows me multiple backups to other drives

Beats me why some posters take their situation as the default standard that everyone else should comply with
you got oddly defensive over me just asking a question and just saying at the end what I do. Are you ok?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Everything has context. You're just digging for reasons to be critical.
I think he's taking jabs at people to be his own version of Steve jobs on the Internet and seem like a true visionary or something. "No no. You don't get it! But I do! I see the freaking future!"

Yeah ok buddy.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
you got oddly defensive over me just asking a question and just saying at the end what I do. Are you ok?
I'm good thanks, in between movies. Oddly defensive?. No. We all have opinions but if a poster puts forward his other opinions as fact, well think about it. As I scroll they messsgeson my phone your ect one cements that. Sorry I don't apparently agree with you, don't worry about it

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I think he's taking jabs at people to be his own version of Steve jobs on the Internet and seem like a true visionary or something. "No no. You don't get it! But I do! I see the freaking future!"

Yeah ok buddy.
As I said, don't worry about it. If you need validation by agreement, try avoiding forums. Or seek one that is not interested in constructive discussion and go for the ones that agree with you.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

Yeah ok buddy.
Perhaps clarify instead of assuming then we can discuss

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm good thanks, in between movies. Oddly defensive?. No. We all have opinions but if a poster puts forward his other opinions as fact, well think about it. As I scroll they messsgeson my phone your ect one cements that. Sorry I don't apparently agree with you, don't worry about it
What opinion did I state as a fact? And you're still very defensive. Replying with message after message saying "don't worry about it" til you're blue in the face doesn't imply otherwise. Calm down. Take a break from the internet if you need to.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Depends on what you expect a "computer" to do. The first generation iPad Mini is already all the "computer" my mom needs - for her email, FaceTime, Netflix and FB uses.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
What opinion did I state as a fact? And you're still very defensive. Replying with message after message saying "don't worry about it" til you're blue in the face doesn't imply otherwise. Calm down. Take a break from the internet if you need to.
"What do people need to sync their iPads to desktops for? I use the cloud for everything"

So those who do not use the cloud for syncing, as has been mentioned here in detail by others are wrong. You use it for everything, so that means your fact rules. It does't rule, unless you believe that your practices are correct, and dismay of why others do it differently.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
LOL, you seem to have an issue with stating I am offensive. Ok. Or ok buddy as you also mentioned, and you call me condescending?? You didn't ask a question, you stated that why do people sync to a PC, as you sync everything to the cloud. Not a question, a statement of your practices, and dismay that others may do it differently.

Are you ok, you say? LOL, and you call me defensive?

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
LOL, you seem to have an issue with stating I am offensive. Ok. Or ok buddy as you also mentioned, and you call me condescending?? You didn't ask a question, you stated that why do people sync to a PC, as you sync everything to the cloud. Not a question, a statement of your practices, and dismay that others may do it differently.

Are you ok, you say? LOL, and you call me defensive?

We get it. You don't understand iPad Pro. It's fine. Your message has been received. You can move on now and **** already. By this point it's evident you have no real point and no real interest or enthusiasm in this product. So why in the hell would you keep conversing in a forum dedicated to a product you don't believe lives up to its creators claims? Surely you can get more done by not wasting the time of those who would rather have interesting discussions.

Reactions: Ghost31

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
My opinions on the topic are my opinions, I don't feel I'm wasting my time contributing them. So, some here see the IPP as a laptop replacement and some don't, so which ones are also wasting their time if they don't agree with your opinions? And BTW the topic is not enthusiasts on the IPP it is below. It is not about the IPP per say, its:
Am I the only one annoyed by these "but the ipad pro is not a real laptop replacement"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.